Too many rockets…

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronicabill

Reaction score
Why do I keep buying new rockets? I already have WAY more kits than I could ever build (60+ years old and seriously declining health), yet somehow I cannot resist “ooh, that one’s cool; let’s buy one”!

Am I the only one here that does this?

Why do I keep buying new rockets? I already have WAY more kits than I could ever build (60+ years old and seriously declining health), yet somehow I cannot resist “ooh, that one’s cool; let’s buy one”!

Some people collect spoons, baseball cards, autographs, vinyl records, cars, Elvis memorabilia, etc. etc. Rockets are simply the best kind of collectibles.

I would say that this is completely normal. I'm 47 but honestly I probably have more rockets on the wall than I could ever honestly build and I add to that pile on an almost weekly bases. I'm almost scared to count what all is down there but I really need to take inventory again.

Mrs has told me no more rockets. I probably the own the least in the "build pile" of all the members here in the RF. I have exactly 5 to build and am working on a WM Lance Beta now.
Of the dozen rockets I have finished since becoming a BAR I have flown 1, one time to obtain my L1 cert.
I build because it keeps my hands busy and my mind more or less sharp, plus I find it relaxing.

My problem is if I have one fall over, it seems to result in a type of domino-effect, where I have to pick up a half dozen that fell in sympathy.

As I've said before, I need to organize and store them better.

Too Many Rockets? Impossible!!! What doesn't get built by me, goes to my nieces for resale or their building (resale is more likely). That way others will get the chance to enjoy them.

It only becomes "Too many rockets" when the accumulated mass of your rocket collections cracks the foundation of your home . . . or tilts the Earth off of its axis; but what are the odds?
That hasn't come close to happening yet... guess I need to buy more then!

My problem is if I have one fall over, it seems to result in a type of domino-effect, where I have to pick up a half dozen that fell in sympathy.

As I've said before, I need to organize and store them better.
I have that problem myself... slightly bump one rocket and it's like dominos on the shelf! I really need to build a storage rack so I don't tear the things up. I reserve the right to destroy them when I fly them! :p

I was looking through my boxes of rockets for a specific one and found many that not only I didn’t I know I had, but I have no idea where I got them. (Either kits made before I got back into rockets or a brand that was never an easy retail purchase.) And others that for some reason I have multiple copies of and I can’t guess as to why that would be.

That has me a bit concerned!

Tony

Careful! Whenever the thought crosses my mind I get a disaster that clears up space. Losing a 7.5" V2 helps 😭

Believe it or not, I have found I am starting to get a but more judicious in procuring kits, but I already have multiple lifetimes of kits waiting....

Plus space is definitely an issue - and built rockets take up more space than the kits....

Believe it or not, I have found I am starting to get a but more judicious in procuring kits, but I already have multiple lifetimes of kits waiting....

Plus space is definitely an issue - and built rockets take up more space than the kits....
somehow my kits take up more space than the built rockets :-/

I was looking through my boxes of rockets for a specific one and found many that not only I didn’t I know I had, but I have no idea where I got them. (Either kits made before I got back into rockets or a brand that was never an easy retail purchase.) And others that for some reason I have multiple copies of and I can’t guess as to why that would be.

Tony

A spread sheet helps.......

A spread sheet helps.......
Oh I have a spreadsheet, but that implies I would take the time to find it, load it, and do a search. But I don’t have a column for what box each rocket is stored in, so is still have to dig through them all. Now that I’m retired maybe that’s a good project.

But I think my wife has other ideas.

Tony

Back