Too many rockets…

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Lately I'm thinking that I should get two of every kit because there have been so many times that I complete a rocket and think this or that could have been done better. If I had a second kit I could assemble it and avoid all the mistakes I made on the first one, and do a much better build.
I think I need an intervention.

DabCat

Reaction score
Lately I'm thinking that I should get two of every kit because there have been so many times that I complete a rocket and think this or that could have been done better. If I had a second kit I could assemble it and avoid all the mistakes I made on the first one, and do a much better build.
I think I need an intervention.
You aren't the only one... :cheers:

Steven

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Why do women have too many shoes? So they can walk across the road.

TigerHawk

Reliving the good ole days
Reaction score
There’s so many more choices available in model rocketry now. Back in ‘75 when I started all I knew about was Estes and Centuri. Now there’s a ton of really cool rockets, parts, accessories, etc out there online. Man all the websites are just loaded with so much stuff and I usually have to buy it.

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
There’s so many more choices available in model rocketry now. Back in ‘75 when I started all I knew about was Estes and Centuri. Now there’s a ton of really cool rockets, parts, accessories, etc out there online. Man all the websites are just loaded with so much stuff and I usually have to buy it.
There is a lot of truth to that. By '75 I was married with one on the way; I started somewhere around '67 or so (not real sure) and the very thoughts of putting video, altimeters, GPS trackers (what's a GPS?!), triaxial accelerometers, and all the wonderful electronics were nowhere on the horizon. Really? Air-start a cluster, are you out of your mind? Whaddaya mean, fly enough battery to start a motor in flight? How'r you gonna know when?

No, for us guys it was balsa and paper tubes and the NAR safety code and no metal and when I heard about Enerject composite motors, I only dreamed of what i could do with them.

That being said, I do exercise more discretion than most here, simply to keep my dear beloved from blowing her stack about the clutter. But I still have two in the build pile and two more on the wish list with winter building season, my birthday, and Christmas coming up, so I can hope. I do enjoy building.

TigerHawk

Reaction score
There is a lot of truth to that. By '75 I was married with one on the way; I started somewhere around '67 or so (not real sure) and the very thoughts of putting video, altimeters, GPS trackers (what's a GPS?!), triaxial accelerometers, and all the wonderful electronics were nowhere on the horizon. Really? Air-start a cluster, are you out of your mind? Whaddaya mean, fly enough battery to start a motor in flight? How'r you gonna know when?

No, for us guys it was balsa and paper tubes and the NAR safety code and no metal and when I heard about Enerject composite motors, I only dreamed of what i could do with them.

That being said, I do exercise more discretion than most here, simply to keep my dear beloved from blowing her stack about the clutter. But I still have two in the build pile and two more on the wish list with winter building season, my birthday, and Christmas coming up, so I can hope. I do enjoy building.
What’s the two on your wish list?

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
What’s the two on your wish list?
1. A Wac Corporal with Tiny Tim booster (my very first rocket was an Estes 18mm Wac Corporal with the slits in the body tube for the shock cord).
2. Bullet Bobby

For more info than you asked for, I just completed an Odd'l Cyclone and a Der Red Max (With/for my brother-in-law). In process is An Odd'l Breakaway and an ACME Spitfire. The Odd'ls and the Spitfire are to throw curve balls at the grandkids - show them alternate means of recovery and so on. The Wac Corporal/Tiny Tim would be my first multi-stage. I understand the gap staging is dramatic and that would impress the grandkids as well as introduce them to another new concept/procedure.

TigerHawk

Reaction score
1. A Wac Corporal with Tiny Tim booster (my very first rocket was an Estes 18mm Wac Corporal with the slits in the body tube for the shock cord).
2. Bullet Bobby

For more info than you asked for, I just completed an Odd'l Cyclone and a Der Red Max (With/for my brother-in-law). In process is An Odd'l Breakaway and an ACME Spitfire. The Odd'ls and the Spitfire are to throw curve balls at the grandkids - show them alternate means of recovery and so on. The Wac Corporal/Tiny Tim would be my first multi-stage. I understand the gap staging is dramatic and that would impress the grandkids as well as introduce them to another new concept/procedure.
Have you built any of the NewWay rocket kits? A good way to “square” your grandkids up 👍

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
No, I haven't, but I have a design in my head for a square-tube rocket, even corresponded with the owner of NewWay about tube availability - but I have to get specific with him before he can help me out. I could scratch them as well, we'll see. It'd be like the Estes Venus Probe, but the character in the lander would be a character I invented in my childhood.

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Let me introduce you to my WIFE! :D
AMEN, and AMEN! My dear beloved does not have much sympathy for the hobby and has zero tolerance for clutter. So I have to keep it neat, which is good in a way. And she does see it interesting the grandkids. So that helps. But it is tough to launch around here, get everyone together on short notice, etc. I see her points and understand.

And the sign over the kitchen door reads, "When the Queen is happy, there is peace in the kingdom." ;)