Tonneau Cover recommendations for a pickup

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jderimig

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
This is a sister thread to my bedliner thread. Wife wants (and I agree) we should get a tri-fold tonneau cover.
Looking at the Bakflip MX4. I welcome comments or other suggestions.

I have a Lund "ziplock" style that I picked up for $40 used. It's absolutely waterproof even in the worst weather but it does have some issues. 1) it shrinks in colder weather and becomes impossible to seal, 2) it's old enough that the corners don't ever seal (but still don't let water in). If you don't get it sealed well enough, driving on the freeway is enough to sometimes make it unzip. Then you have to pull over and fix it. 3) sometimes it's hard to get it lined up precisely enough when you start, so you end up misaligned at the end, and have to start over.

That said, for 40 bucks it's been great.

My friend has a metal "overhead door" type. It's really easy to open and close, but he complains that it leaks so if he were to replace it, he wouldn't buy it again.

I've never had one, but the downside to the trifold ones, would seem to be finding a place for them when they're open.

None, removing one every time I need to load the truck is a waste of time and money. I have had them in the past, if you are using the truck as a grocery getter, then its utility is wasted.

Last edited:
None, removing one every time I need to load the truck is a waste of time and money. I have had them in the past, if you are using the truck as a grocery getter, the its utility is wasted.
I get that, but........

None, removing one every time I need to load the truck is a waste of time and money. I have had them in the past, if you are using the truck as a grocery getter, the its utility is wasted.
This is one positive of the ziplock style. Rolled up, it doesn't take up much room. But watertight when I want to haul boxes or other dry things. But, this is also one reason I have an extended cab, Groceries (and dogs) do not go in the bed, they go in the back seat. Big bags of dog food, cat food, cat litter, and that sort of stuff goes in the bed.

I installed a Leer Quad Fold on my F250 about 5-months ago. Easy to install and well built. I keep asking myself why I waited so long to get one.

My one complaint is that the rubber seal along each edge is already showing some wear at the location of the folds. I’m hoping that it’s a piece that can be periodically replaced but I haven’t researched that yet.

I get that, but........
In that case get a soft style that way it can be folded/rolled and put behind a seat, even though most roll-up and fasten against the forward bulkhead of the bed. I too have a CrewCab for mostly rocket stuff, the truck is mainly for dump runs, hauling landscape materials, towing the travel trailer to camping, hunting and rocketry events (lots of stuff to fill the bed, just ask any SodBlaster attendees, then there is a 250gal fire tank in the back). I also have rails mounted on the tops of the bed sides for load securement purposes (they aren't there totally to just look good).

In that case get a soft style that way it can be folded/rolled and put behind a seat, even though most roll-up and fasten against the forward bulkhead of the bed. I too have a CrewCab for mostly rocket stuff, the truck is mainly for dump runs, hauling landscape materials, towing the travel trailer to camping, hunting and rocketry events (lots of stuff to fill the bed, just ask any SodBlaster attendees, then there is a 250gal fire tank in the back). I also have rails mounted on the tops of the bed sides for load securement purposes (they aren't there totally to just look good).
The MX4 can fold up to reveal the entire bed but it blocks the rear window when stowed that way. A compromise. Don't know how much that would be an issue for me. If I need the full bed the rear view is probably semi obstructed anyway. But its technically not my truck.

The MX4 can fold up to reveal the entire bed but it blocks the rear window when stowed that way. A compromise. Don't know how much that would be an issue for me. If I need the full bed the rear view is probably semi obstructed anyway. But its technically not my truck.
That is one of the benefits of the revolver X4. When fully opened and rolled back, it blocks a little less than 50% of the rear window.

Der Red Maxine had a pleather roll-up with serious hook-and-loop attachment on the edges. Has worked pretty well for me, with only a little water coming in the back when it rains real hard.

I have an MX4. Works great until you discover just how tamper resistant it is when the lock on your truck's tailgate breaks.

If I buy another bed cover again, it will be one with an independent lock of its own.

We needed a cover back in October, as we were driving from Alabama to Accord NY to pick up some classic car parts. I purchased a hard Tonneau cover that locks, so we could get the parts home safe and secure. The brand is Undercover:

https://undercoverinfo.com/undercover-se
Cost was around $1100+

IMG_3274.jpg

Largest drawback, no one can ask you to all their crap for them anymore... Actually, the lift is nice, but it does limit your access to the full bed.

I bought a Lomax. I would buy it again, unlike every other cover I have purchased. I've talked two buddies into these and one told me the other day that that was the best thing I have ever found. It can be removed or reinstalled in less then a minute, or just flip up a couple panels for partial access.
20181203_082100.jpg

We needed a cover back in October, as we were driving from Alabama to Accord NY to pick up some classic car parts. I purchased a hard Tonneau cover that locks, so we could get the parts home safe and secure. The brand is Undercover:

https://undercoverinfo.com/undercover-se
Cost was around $1100+

View attachment 549869

Largest drawback, no one can ask you to all their crap for them anymore... Actually, the lift is nice, but it does limit your access to the full bed.

I remember when you could buy a really nice used pickup truck for $1,100. :facepalm:

I have an MX4. Works great until you discover just how tamper resistant it is when the lock on your truck's tailgate breaks.

If I buy another bed cover again, it will be one with an independent lock of its own.
Can you elaborate more on that problem?

The Bak system latches closed against the tailgate. If you can't open the tailgate, you can't open the cover either. That's one of their selling points but as rightfully pointed out, if the tailgate lock fails, you can't open the cover until its repaired/replaced.

The Bak system latches closed against the tailgate. If you can't open the tailgate, you can't open the cover either. That's one of their selling points but as rightfully pointed out, if the tailgate lock fails, you can't open the cover until its repaired/replaced.
Precisely this. It can be opened only destructively. It latches into add-on side rails that preclude any easy way to snake in and depress the latches like some other, less secure bed cover systems.

We have the truck to tow a travel trailer with, not haul a lot of large items. I've had the BackFlip for 3 years now. It does let a little water in, but not enough to fill the grooves in the bed liner. I don't haul many large items where I have to folded it up, but never had problems when I did. I've found that almost everything going into the bed is low enough I can fold the cover down, +19" clearance. Don't need it much, but the +100 lbs. capacity for putting things on top comes in handy some times too when you are loading.

Can you drill out the elevator bolts at the cab end and open the cover that way?

Can you drill out the elevator bolts at the cab end and open the cover that way?
There are 2 rails that are bolted to the side of the bed. The cover is then retained in those rails. You would need to drill through the rails or the cover, to expose the bolts that retain the rails and then unbolt the rails and remove the entire top at once, both rails and cover which would be no small feat. The hole needed to expose the bolts would need to be fairly large as well since the bolts are under the lip of the side of the bed and so it would need to be as big as your arm. Again, this is one of their selling points as it makes the entire bed area as secure as the trunk of a car.

I had a Revolver X2 on my 2012 Tundra and never had an issue and the report from the new owner of that truck is it continued to work fine until they were rear-ended and bent the tailgate such that it physically couldn't close and latch. I have a Revolver X4 on my 2021 RAM 1500 and never had an issue. The only drawbacks I have are:
- when fully open, the rolled up top extends over the bed about 6" at the back window.
- when fully open, just under 50% of the back window is blocked from view.
- the rails extend into the bed area and reduce the overall width by about 6", 3" on either side, at the top of the bed sides.
- the retaining clips used to hold it rolled open are a bit of a pain at times to insert/release but they have never failed.

My drawbacks may not apply to the flip version since it doesn't roll up like my revolver version does. The rail issue would be the same though. There are a few installation videos out there that would show how much of a pain it would be to remove the cover if you couldn't open the tailgate. They're not long and I'd recommend you watch before buying so that you know how it works, it's selling points and it's drawbacks. If you're ever in the Indiana area, let me know and you can look at mine.

edit: Here is the installation video that shows how the rails are attached. The rails are what secures the cover over the bed and if the tailgate were to fail locked closed, you'd need access to remove the rails. The Revolver model doesn't use the same elevator bolts and so it could be easier to gain entry with the Flip model by removing them.

Last edited:
There are 2 rails that are bolted to the side of the bed. The cover is then retained in those rails. You would need to drill through the rails or the cover, to expose the bolts that retain the rails and then unbolt the rails and remove the entire top at once, both rails and cover which would be no small feat. The hole needed to expose the bolts would need to be fairly large as well since the bolts are under the lip of the side of the bed and so it would need to be as big as your arm. Again, this is one of their selling points as it makes the entire bed area as secure as the trunk of a car.
Aaron, I was refering to the two bolts that bolt the last section of the cover to the slot in the cab end of the rails. If those are drilled out would the last section flip up to provide access to the bed?

Aaron, I was refering to the two bolts that bolt the last section of the cover to the slot in the cab end of the rails. If those are drilled out would the last section flip up to provide access to the bed?
On my cover, it doesn't use those and so I didn't know about them until I watched the video. Now that I have, yes, drilling out the elevator bolts should allow you to remove the cover in the event the tailgate can't be opened. I hope they're hardened steel bolts but I couldn't tell from the video. On mine, Revolver X4, it uses 4 hex-head bolts that are not exposed above the cover and so it'd be much more difficult to get entry.

Last edited:
Perhaps oddly, but my cover is the pinnacle of being non-secure. It's no more closed than a big ziplock bag, and the tailgate doesn't have a lock (nor would I want one). That said, I've never had anyone even peek under the cover. Maybe it's because most of the time (99+%) it's empty anyway.
🤷🤷‍♂️

i have a Pace Edwards roll top on my F 150 for years great top and a Bakflip on myTacoma. I rear view is a issue the Pace Edwards is the way to go. On my Tacoma i have a Pioneer dual din radio with aux video inputs so added a second camera to act as a rear view when the top is up.

Back