Tongan Volcanic Eruption... As Seen From Space....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boom!! goes the Dynomite.
It could be worse; it could be Yellowstone.

70,000 or so years ago, a super volcano eruption off the east coast of the African continent almost put an end to the human race.
Humanity has been incredibly lucky these past 70,000 years with regards to extinction level events.

Interesting, because Yellowstone apparently also last erupted around 70,000 years ago, according to the USGS. I keep hearing contrary opinions as to whether it's "overdue" or not.

The Chicxulub asteroid would have definitely done us in - 65 million years ago. A recent, but apparently yet unsubstantiated astronomical theory, suggests that as the solar system revolves around the Milky Way, it moves in and out of areas with more or fewer massive asteroids. Supposedly, the pattern of many massive impact craters fits this cycle enough to warrant further research. If it turns out correct, the article that I read (I think it was in "Astronomy") claims that the solar system is again entering that part of the Milky Way, but it didn't have exact numbers as to when. I don't know enough to support or dispute this theory, but it might help to explain the "relative calm" of the last 65 million years or so.

The pictures of the Tonga eruption are both amazing and disturbing.

So, yes, we probably have been lucky. I guess we'll see.

... as the solar system revolves around the Milky Way, it moves in and out of areas with more or fewer massive asteroids ...

I can imagine how this might be possible, but now I'm curious as to what the expert's theories are.

Interesting, because Yellowstone apparently also last erupted around 70,000 years ago, according to the USGS. I keep hearing contrary opinions as to whether it's "overdue" or not.
1642710302571.png
May happen tomorrow, may not happen for thousands of years.
Either way there's nothing we can (currently) do about it.

Back