tomahawk data

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrugCoder

Reaction score
I looked at two kits tonight. Both were region d tomahawk kits, one Estes and one Aerotech. The graphics are different on each kit. Which has the most accurate paint scheme?
Where has the best scale data for this rocket?

The AeroTech kit is a model of the IQSY Tomahawk which is different from the D-Region Tomahawk.

Gotcha. Now that I do a little more research I see that. Thanks for pointing it out! I'm leaning towards the Aerotech kit since it's priced at 50% off. Any reason to go with the Estes instead?

Gotcha. Now that I do a little more research I see that. Thanks for pointing it out! I'm leaning towards the Aerotech kit since it's priced at 50% off. Any reason to go with the Estes instead?
Well, the kits are quite different. I've built the IQSY, but not the D-Region. The IQSY is typical durable Aerotech construction, easy to build, heavier, & designed for 29mm motors, from E to G, 12.5 oz. The D-Region is lighter (9 oz), designed for 24 mm D & E motors, though it can certainly be beefed up for larger motors (see RP article https://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/2051/38/). The scale details on the D-Region are better as it comes with a nicely detailed fin can & nose cone; the details on the IQSY are all in the vinyl decals, so it is clearly sport-scale. So, the primary considerations are do you want a low power or mid power bird, how close to scale are you interested in, and how much modification are you willing to do if you want mid-power?

BTW, where do you get 50% off on Aerotech kits?! I'm jealous!

The Hobbytown here has all their Aerotech kits on sale for 50% off. I'm really debating on going and stocking up tonight. I asked them if they were not planning on carrying them anymore and he said they mark items at 50% off when they have been in the store for more than 1 year. They have the Mirage, StrongARM, IQSY, Arcas, and the Initiator Kit with Mantis, all for 50% off. All of their reloads are also 50% off but it's a limited selection.

If you have the $$$ to do it, you could just go ahead and scoop up all of the kits. E-bay them, or list them here, or on YORF, or on the auctions at Rocketry Planet. Even if you mark them back up 20% (or whatever) to make a little profit, you can still pass them on to the rocketry community at a pretty good savings.

You never know when someone will return a favor--

A couple of pictures of the D-Region Tomahawk. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the ISQY Tomahawk. If you want more data, PM me.

I.jpg

J.jpg

There is a third Tomahawk version available.
QUEST had it for awhile.
MPC had it forever.
The Quest version might still be available from the mail-order warehouse run by Dane Boles. I forget the name (Modelers somthing something) but its chock full of all the discontinued Quest kits.
The MPC version might still be available from SkyHighHobbies.
I forget his name but he usually has them auctioning somewhere with a reasonable buy-it-now price.
Someone can chime in with the missing details.
The Tomahawk model is an 18mm model using the same TE-416 with a different fin can. Comes with scale data drawing too!

check out the Model Rocketry magazines on Ninfinger's site:

Tomahawk IQSY, Stine, G. Harry, Jun 69 p5-8
D-Region Tomahawk Scale Plans, Kuhn, Howard, Jun 1971 Pg. 10

At LOC/Precision we have files to make IQSY Tomahawks in. 1.5", 2.1", 2.56" (not pictured), 3.0", 4.0" & 5.5" They are not on the web-site but if you call or e-mail we would be happy to make you one. I might do a 7.5 in the future but I'm running out of room to store rockets that size.
55Tomahawk043.jpg

A couple of pictures of the D-Region Tomahawk. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the ISQY Tomahawk. If you want more data, PM me.

I realize that I am stirring up quite an old thread, but I figured why start a new one when this one already contains some really good information.

The more I research this rocket, the more confused I become. When I was planning my color scheme, I based it on the information from flight 12.08 as depicted in RotW. This round clearly shows the single red fin to be 45 degrees CCW from the launch lug when looking from the rear view. The round depicted in Brian's photographs above shows it to be 135 degrees CCW. So it is simple to surmise that the orientation of the red fin relative to the launch lug varies.

However, none of the actual photographs that I have seen of the single stage version show either the serial plate or the Thiokol logo. In researching other builds of this model, I have found them to be centered above the red fin and centered above a black fin, as well as centered between every combination of fins.

Three basic questions I have: Were the serial plate and Thiokol logo even present on any single stage rounds of the D-Region Tomahawk? If so, what was their orientation relative to the fins and launch lug. Finally, and possibly most important considering that I don't want to have to repaint two of the fins on my rocket... if these features were present on some rounds and not others, were they ever present on a round that had the red fin 45 degrees CCW of the launch lug? Brian, since you so generously offered to provide additional data 3 years ago, I will plan to send you a PM as well.

I would appreciate any input! I would like for my version to accurately represent a round that actually flew in the single stage configuration.

Cheers,
Michael

View attachment 88307

By the way...this image causes me to completely rethink my scaling technique. I've always tried so hard to avoid paint runs and bleed-through under my masking tape. I guess sometimes I should be a little more sloppy, at least where the Tomahawk, Sandhawk, and Aerobee 150A are concerned!

Three basic questions I have: Were the serial plate and Thiokol logo even present on any single stage rounds of the D-Region Tomahawk?
There was only one flight of the D-Region as far as I know and the article in Sport Rocketry said it had no external markings or insignia.

There were four flights of the IQSY Tomahawk and the common color scheme is for round 4, I've never seen any data for the other three.

There was only one flight of the D-Region as far as I know and the article in Sport Rocketry said it had no external markings or insignia.

There were four flights of the IQSY Tomahawk and the common color scheme is for round 4, I've never seen any data for the other three.

Thank you, Mike. That's exactly what I was hoping to find out and confirms what is stated in RotW. My D-Region shall be naked as well. As for the paint flaws, I'm not sure I can bring myself to add them!

Cheers,
Michael

Back