Tom Petty had it right...Waiting is the hardest part!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soopirV

Reaction score
Did some internet ordering this weekend, and even though I'm assuredly an adult, I'm checking nearly constantly for tracking updates. How did we survive in the days of mail-order, when you'd not only have to wait for the thing to arrive, but you wouldn't even know when they received your order in the mail, when they packed it, or when they shipped it?? Reminds me of this classic- couldn't find the narration, but this is the outcome:
Secret Decoder Ring

When I was a kid I convinced my parents to let me order stuff from the backs of comic books sometimes, or other worthless junk you'd have to mail away for using cereal box tops or something. It would take "4-6" weeks for delivery and I'd be SO excited about the order for the first few weeks - then I'd forget about it - then a few weeks later I'd get a huge surprise out of the blue. It was the best feeling ever!

When I was a kid I convinced my parents to let me order stuff from the backs of comic books sometimes, or other worthless junk you'd have to mail away for using cereal box tops or something. It would take "4-6" weeks for delivery and I'd be SO excited about the order for the first few weeks - then I'd forget about it - then a few weeks later I'd get a huge surprise out of the blue. It was the best feeling ever!

I think that is a feeling the current generation can't fathom. Everything is now, now, now.

My 2nd grade English assignment was to write letter for a free item, I chose to write Estes and get a catalog the letter was approved by the teacher probably in October and I got the catalog in January. I was one of the few who got credit for the whole assignment. That was probably in 1969 or so. I also remember taping change to a 3x5 card and sending an order form to Estes to buy my own rocket that my dad could not claim ownership to. I believe it showed up the end of the summer after I had forgotten about it.

Sunday, I decided to replace my ipad from 2011 with a new ipad pro. It left China this morning and I am supposed to have it Thursday. Waiting sucks.

I remember when I was in the 1st grade someone got me a subscription to a kids newsletter called the "Weekly Reader " from the mid 60s.
It was delivered every Wednesday. I thought the following Wednesday would never arrive. It was the first peace of mail ever sent to me.

Bobby

You guys think 4-6 weeks is bad? I've been in China for over a year and a half now, and still can't build what I have. Nor get the items that I do have (back home).

Send off for the catalogue & wait. When it arrives, agonize over every page until you've got it practically memorized.

Scrape up enough cash, then trade it to your folks for a check in the right amount. 6-8 weeks later, presto! It only took all summer.

Now if I shout at my phone loud enough, practically anything will be delivered to either home or work w/in 24-48 hours.

I recall my mother calling the back to see if a check cleared (then contacting the vender with the line, you cashed the check...)
Rex

I was used to the old timey delays but now expect more also. I was spoiled by Semroc.

Back