Today's the Day...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like Lepin was raided by the Chinese police. Maybe your Saturn V will become a collector's item! :D

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48076505
https://www.npr.org/2019/04/27/7178...chinese-company-busted-for-selling-fake-legos

The caption for the picture at the top of the BBC article is great. "Police seized what appeared to be a counterfeit Star Wars Lego set." Huh. No kidding.
_106615882_mediaitem106615765.jpg

It's an automaton representing Sisyphus... Again from Lepin... based on a design that was featured by Adam Savage in one of TESTED's One Day Builds.

I'm looking to find the original designer, and if I can, I'll toss him a few bucks for his efforts in designing the Sisyphus model. I'm sure Lepin isn't compensating him for it.

BINGO! I've tried to stay out of this argument because my main hobby is LEGO and I am also a BrickLink parts dealer (I sell individual LEGO parts to builders.) I didn't want to go on a rant. Lepin is a scourge! The designer of Sisyphus, and many other models, is Jason Allemann of JK Brickworks. He has a number of ingenious designs that he gives, for free, to the LEGO community. He gives a parts list so that you know exactly what parts you need to order to supplement your stock. Lepin took his design and made a kit without any compensation to JK Brickworks. I also know another builder that made a huge construction crane for people to use in their LEGO cities. Beautiful design! He was giving it away for free in a closed Facebook group and answering questions about the build, as it was fairly complicated. An infiltrator joined the group and stole the information. They published the set with no compensation. In fact, he had no knowledge that they had the design until it came on the market.

In short, they suck!

Re-did the background image behind the Saturn V rocket I built. The old one was a custom printed poster that the school bought. Problem was, it was glossy, and it wrinkled despite my best efforts (I wrapped the poster around the frame and stapled it down). I don't know about you, but I don't imagine space looks wrinkled, or has glossy spots.

1613304462626.png

The new background (also purchased by the school) was the same image printed on foamcore with a matt (flat) finish. No more weird glossy wrinkles in the blackness of space. I realize now, I should go ahead and wrap it around the edge of the frame too (it'll make it a touch shorter so it will fit in the space better and reduce the chances for damage to the corners).

The nice part was that I didn't have to remove the old poster, I just used double sided tape, and the screws that hold the rocket to the background to hold it in place. Crazy thing about the poster/poster on foamcore thing. Here in China, they're not expensive. The poster (printed on glossy black plastic) was like... 6 RMB (about one US dollar). Three of the versions printed on foamcore (same (custom) dimensions), were 105 RMB... delivered. That's $16.26 USD (or about $5.42 apiece).

Last edited:
Well, my last post got obliterated by the mods after a lot of people took it off the rails... Let's see how this goes.

TODAY IS THE DAY... No Chance to do this tomorrow, it'll be too late.

I VOTED (with my wallet) to begin changing this:

Into this:

TB2Y2TlbS7PL1JjSZFHXXcciXXa_!!3338233682.jpg_400x400

I've done it before (last week)... I can do it again (but not with that pile).

I should say that it's not all black and white, there are some grey areas, and the flags (for some reason) fit upside down, unless shifted to the left (HONESTLY).

My school bought my last one, and they want a second one (we have 2 locations in the city (over 130 across China, a few in Vietnam, and a few sister schools in the US)).

Egads! Mine is still in the box and will probably stay there . . . after seeing that pile of #$&@.

Egads! Mine is still in the box and will probably stay there . . . after seeing that pile of #$&@.
I've built it (and re-built it) so many times that the last time a 2nd and 3rd stage fell off and exploded into pieces on the ground, I was able to sweep them up, go to a restaurant, order food, and something to drink, and rebuild it again... in 1/2 hour or so.

Back