Today's launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foose4string

Reaction score
Despite the moderate winds today I was determined to fly something. I was itching to try out my new BT60 based Pershing II. The wind subsided slightly, and I loaded it up with a B6-4. Rocksim was fairly accurate with a 468 ft. prediction. Here's what it looked like...

Pershing-II-BT60-pad.jpg

Pershing-II-BT60-Launch.jpg

Pershing-II-BT60-Launch2.jpg

Pershing-II-BT60-ejection.jpg

Pershing-II-BT60-deploy.jpg

Oh man that looks SOOO COOL!!!! :cool:

I've got a BT-80 based PII on the back burner... :) Need to get back to work on it... :)

Keep em flying! OL JR :)

The close up of the P II in flight is just soooo cool. Great job!

Oh man that looks SOOO COOL!!!! :cool:

I've got a BT-80 based PII on the back burner... :) Need to get back to work on it... :)

Keep em flying! OL JR :)

Thanks JR.

I have also have BT80 balsa transition/cone from Sandman. I don't need to get back to it, I need to actually start it! I did a BT55 version a while back, but it was just a little too small and begging to be a size larger. Building these will be a good work up to the BT80, acting as sort of a boilerplate, and getting some of the detail bits sorted out.

The close up of the P II in flight is just soooo cool. Great job!

Thanks Dick. :)

You cheated on us Craig!:eek:

:D

Actually, it was about 4:30-5:00 before I dared. The neighbor's flag(my go to launch indicator) was pretty stiff until that time. I played it conservative...one rocket and two B motors.;) I let Russell and his friend do the honors. His friend had just launched rockets with his Scout pack last week and was pretty excited to get another chance.

Looks like Jim and Raul were needed at Goddard anyway. Great turnout for that. Did you or Kevin attend?

:D

Actually, it was about 4:30-5:00 before I dared. The neighbor's flag(my go to launch indicator) was pretty stiff until that time. I played it conservative...one rocket and two B motors.;) I let Russell and his friend do the honors. His friend had just launched rockets with his Scout pack last week and was pretty excited to get another chance.

Looks like Jim and Raul were needed at Goddard anyway. Great turnout for that. Did you or Kevin attend?

No, I stayed home and cried in my pillow all day at the thought of you launching without us.:(

Actually I slept till noon and stayed in bed watching Battle 360 on the History Channel all day... Very unproductive.

Awesome pictures Craig! I have a BT60 PII in my kit room waiting on me to 'get to it'..:rolleyes:

Would you be willing to share the Rocksim file??

Great pictures, I especially like the one at ejection, very cool.

Marc

Nice shots. Looks to me like you're getting some "thrust vectoring" from that motor.

Sure, it's already uploaded in the Scratch section.;)

Kewl!..I Didn't realize this was a scratch built!:eek: Thought it was a Roachwerks kit!..LOL..Well, the RS file should still be of use to me for when I finally get to building my Roachwerks Pershing II ...

Thanks Marc.

Thanks Indy. The thrust vectoring you see might be the wind against the exhaust. It was still blowing pretty well when I launched.

Jon, Wow, I didn't know Sandman was kitting these? He helped out a great deal when I first decided I wanted to build a Pershing II a couple years ago. The initial drawings he made were a good jumping off point, but after studying the tech manual and scads of photos, talking with different folks, and then getting Rocksim, I decided to draw up my own, changed a few dimensions, etc. I don't know if it's really any better than where we started, but it uses all standard parts and paper shrouds. I don't know what detail bits Sandman included with the kit, but I'm sure he included the explosion hatch(since he drew that), but if you need some of the things I drew(like the low transition details), let me know.

Edit: Indy, I studied that photo again. It looks like there may very well be some vectoring going on there. It took a near horizontal path towards the end of the burn. I attributed it to "wind cocking". Interesting.

Last edited:
Thas a great looking rocket and the photos are superb :)
Thanks
fred

Back