Today's Launch.. the Aftermath / Carnage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
As the title suggests this is what is left of the 3 rockets that I launched today.
001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg

Let me say that it was an absolutely beautiful day at Rabbit Dry Lake. The ground was actually soft, but not muddy, but it didn't help much saving the rockets when they hit the ground. We got there about 8:30 and the temps were chilly at best. We ended up leaving just after noon.

First up was my scratch BT-80 24mm. The launch was on a D12-5. Probably 500 feet and late deployed ended up zippering the body tube. The second launch it CATO on the pad E9-4. I could probably still rebuild it, but more than likely I'll save the nose cone and build another one. Not sure yet?

Below are the two videos. Second video is the CATO

[video=youtube;dF9poZQJmU0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF9poZQJmU0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Here is the CATO with an E9-4. It just back fired / exploded on the pad.

[video=youtube;cdS1UVPjnwI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdS1UVPjnwI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Next up was my FATBOY 3x24. The first flight only one motor ignited and it did a bunch of flips. The next two videos are successful flights on D12-5's, estimated apogee at 977’ The last flight however burned a hole in the 18" Top Flight parachute. I love the neon green parachutes. They are really easy to spot even against a blue sky.

Enjoy

[video=youtube;X4BBfIvZ0G4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4BBfIvZ0G4[/video]

Next up was the rocket I built for my girlfriend. She actually got to launch this one, which explains why you hear in the background some instructions I’m giving her on how to use the launch controller. This was a beautiful flight. I loaded (4) D12-7’s and it shot straight as an arrow, estimated apogee at 1800’. When it landed there slight fin damage, but I didn’t think it was bad enough to fly again.

[video=youtube;KASMqEP80oI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KASMqEP80oI[/video]

The next flight was a different story. I sent it up on (4) E12-8’s and left the pad like it was on steroids! As it was close to Apogee about 2500 feet it went squirrely and from what I could tell broke apart. Pieces came down in smoke. The chute brought down the nose cone and the Nomex blanket just floated down by itself next to the chute. Unfortunately all that was left was a destroyed fin can. I drove around looking for the rest of the rocket, but it had disintegrated into ash. My girlfriend later found the key chain camera with tape attached to it; unbelievable that she found it on a lake bed so big. Her new nick name is “Blood Hound” See why in next video below.

[video=youtube;5amVSFIN7ag]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5amVSFIN7ag&feature=youtu.be[/video]

As I was going through the video’s I forgot about the very last video and deleted the one before it, which was the actual flight of it exploding. So unfortunately I don’t have the footage. Believe I wish I did!! It would have been something to see. I must say this that those key chain cameras can really take a beating! Mine still works after all the abuse it went through today and for $30 it was a great investment.

006.jpg

This was my day at the desert launching. I apologize for lack of pictures, but my girlfriend was in charge of my camera phone and it was pretty cold. Her fingers were numb fingers so she didn’t take many. I was just happy to get the ones I got, but still wish I had the video of the exploding rocket.

Last edited:
Dan,

Great video, nice lady friend.
Your lucky. She likes to go to launches. Mine doesn't.
Sorry about the carnage,

Daniel

ugh... so much carnage, but some darn cool stuff too. That was the first time I have seen a rocket go that high that fast from rocket view. A good way to spend some weekend time.

Thanks guys. I still wish I had the video of the rocket exploding. After today it makes me second the time I spend painting these things. Maybe for now on I'll build them tougher and use flat black and neon paints. Seriously may even incorporate elastic as part of my shock to avoid any zippering...at least it will allow it some give.

Bummer about but the damages bud... i feel ya... i really think having the elastic tied to my kevlar is was saved my v2 from zippering on saturday...

Thanks guys. I still wish I had the video of the rocket exploding. After today it makes me second the time I spend painting these things. Maybe for now on I'll build them tougher and use flat black and neon paints. Seriously may even incorporate elastic as part of my shock to avoid any zippering...at least it will allow it some give.
I attach kevlar to the engine mount and out the top. From there I attach an elastic cord so that it doesn't snap and has some give. I also wrap some masking tape around the kevlar where it comes into contact with the body tube.(or maybe use the nerf darts they sale in the toy dept). I haven't had any issues so far doing this.

All in all look's like a fun and exciting launch day. I had one yesterday aslo but I must say it wasn't as EXPLOSIVE, which is a good thing because I had to find a new launch area which had alot of dry, high unmowed grass. Sure wish I had a big dry lake bed close by.

I take it the video of the explosion was accedentally deleted from the KC cam, that really suck's, that would have been a great video. I love these cams too, you can learn alot from you'r flight video. You can click through them frame by frame and see thing's happening that you would never see other wise.

Was the E-9 cato from the 08 11 18 batch? Just curious, the two failures on the first Merc launch were from this batch.

Better luck next time.

Mark

Last edited:
All in all look's like a fun and exciting launch day. I had one yesterday aslo but I must say it wasn't as EXPLOSIVE, which is a good thing because I had to find a new launch area which had alot of dry, high unmowed grass. Sure wish I had a big dry lake bed close by.

I take it the video of the explosion was accedentally deleted from the KC cam, that really suck's, that would have been a great video. I love these cams too, you can learn alot from you'r flight video. You can click through them frame by frame and see thing's happening that you would never see other wise.

Was the E-9 cato from the 08 11 18 batch? Just curious, the two failures on the first Merc launch were from this batch.

Better luck next time.

Mark

Mark I wish I had the video too! I know there's no way to get it back. Anyway the batch is from 09 - 02 - 09

Last edited:
Aside from the damages I had a really good time. The 3x24 FATBOY I was using an 18" Top Flight chute, which brought it down nicely without any damages. On my girlfriends rocket the 4x24 BT-80 I used a 30" Top Flight "X" chute, which seemed to work well, but put a stress crack along the fillet of the fin. Not sure if this was caused from the actual launch or from the flight itself? I used epoxy clay for the fillets. The lake bed seemed somewhat soft because it rained a week earlier and the reason I wanted to use the "X" chute is so I wouldn't have to walk as far, but guess what I did. :lol:

I'm sure if it was just the standard 30" chute it would landed much slower and softer. On the lake bed you always have this issue. I'm considering trying my hand at fiberglass rockets. I never built, but they look pretty staright forward and a lot less prep work when painting. I'm just kicking around.

That was fun to watch ,great videos !

But really too bad about the carnage ,but stuff happens.Looks like a great place to launch rockets you lucky bugger.

Sure is a treat to have a girlfriend who enjoys going out to launch a few ,nice gal !!

Take care

Paul T

That was fun to watch ,great videos !

But really too bad about the carnage ,but stuff happens.Looks like a great place to launch rockets you lucky bugger.

Sure is a treat to have a girlfriend who enjoys going out to launch a few ,nice gal !!

Take care

Paul T

It helps having a wide area to launch at. My girlfriend enjoys coming with me. Not sure if she is up to building a rocket of her own yet? Well see maybe down the road?

If you haven't recorded anything else on your memory card since you deleted it you can still probably recover the video for free with Recuva software https://www.piriform.com/recuva

When you delete files from memory cards you are not erasing anything, you are giving permission for that sector to be wrote over with new data. I have used Recuva to retrieve data from CF, SD/XC, MS, microSD cards.

If you haven't recorded anything else on your memory card since you deleted it you can still probably recover the video for free with Recuva software https://www.piriform.com/recuva

When you delete files from memory cards you are not erasing anything, you are giving permission for that sector to be wrote over with new data. I have used Recuva to retrieve data from CF, SD/XC, MS, microSD cards.

This down loaded version will work? Usually it seems they try to sell you the full version by baiting you with a trial version that doesn't do everything. Just want to make sure

Hey buddy, great launch pics but really sorry for the mishaps !! But that's what we do--I think I was lucky the last year--Just dinged Timberwolf and a couple of cracked fillets on a couple of others--might be my turn this year? Glad the better half enjoys your hobby--Deb tolerates my rockets and really has no intrest in launching with me---THAT's OK--I got her interested in fishing and she's got most of the fish on the wall---I had to share my 43 lb striper with her because she caught one the same size right after me:y:--I like your launch area--very cool!!! I gotta order some chutes and I like the neon green idea---X chute intrigues me--- I'll pm you over the weekend and we'll talk----H

This down loaded version will work? Usually it seems they try to sell you the full version by baiting you with a trial version that doesn't do everything. Just want to make sure

100% free, just loaded it on a new computer I built over the weekend.

FOX - I want to thank you. I down loaded the software and was able to save the file(s) that were deleted, but unfortunately I was unable to play the AVI file because I got "Error 50" Stating that I could not play it or something like that. :confused2: I tried to upload it through YOUTUBE some how thinking that would help, but it didn't...can you help or has anyone had this issue? I really want to recover this video to share with with all of you.

How big is the file, under 25 MB? If so e-mail it to me [email protected] and I can probably convert it to something usable.

222MB I'll ask a friend if he can do it?? He might be able to. I worked with him at my last job. Like I said the file is there, just can't seem to get it to play. I know it recorded something.

Sorry, that is a little large to e-mail. I use Sony Vegas Pro 12 to edit video and it has opened every file I have thrown at it so far.

UPDATE: I just wanted to give you guys an update. I contacted ESTES about the Cato I had with one of their motors. After exchanging a few emails they agreed to send me a new pack of motors, but wait that's not all. On the shipping invoice they included their new V2. As always exceptional customer service ESTES!!:) See below:

tem Sku Qty Subtotal
003228 - V2 Semi-Scale Model 003228 1 $24.99
001673 - E9-4 Engines 001673 1 $53.99
Subtotal $78.98
Shipping & Handling $0.00
Discount (1964) -$78.98
Tax $0.00
Grand Total $0.00

I just placed an order with BMS for parts needed to rebuild my girlfriends rocket above (pink and white fin can) that's all that was left. I order the one piece tube, a sheet of 3/16 balsa and some lite ply center rings which I'll have to sand to fit the LOC MMT's. BMS no longer offers custom orders so I'm stuck with ordering the standard cluster rings. I like using the LOC tubes because they are thicker and from past experience I've burned up a lot of MMT's. Not sure on the paint scheme yet, but it will be something cool. I have some military chutes that I might dye the color of the rocket when I'm done. I plan on papering the fins and doing up some nice epoxy fillets.

ROCKSIM file below....

View attachment Sheryl's Rocket.rktView attachment Sheryl's Rocket.rkt

Back