Toasted Deuce

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stymye

Reaction score
Had a great day launching rockets

except the second launch of my Deuces Wild on B6-4's

Both motors lit but, only one was thrusting...the deuce left the rod and banked into the ground horizontaly..the other motor was burning out of the ejection end! ..the Deuce continued to burn on the ground as the first motors ejection went off.. the tube nearly burnt in half.It is basically destroyed ..It also toasted the top flight chute and elastic cord..the kevelar anchor held

heres a pic of the lift-off

the tube is cooked and the motor mount is damaged on the bad motor side

will Estes replace my Deuce and top flight chute ?????

obviously the motor was faulty and it never gave an ejection ..
I've never seen a B motor burn that much before

Is this blow by? this is my first estes motor cato

heres a picture of the tube

O that sucks man...you should call estes they may replace it. Its worth a try

this pic shows the carnage better

as you can see the damage is into the fin area and about 3/4 up the body..I will try to save the fin area somehow .but its very weak as it is right now and half of the body tube is paper thin

the one engine tube suffered alot of heat damage also

I wanted to run into the launch area and save it somehow
but the LCO was already launching the next rocket

Sorry about your Deuce, Stymie. I think if it was mine, I'd let it pass gently into the night. RIP.
The upside would be that you get to build another Deuce!

Ouch Stymye!
Sorry to hear your Deuce is Cooked! Ho that's an awful Pun:(

You really should send the motor casing with a letter and pic back to Estes, they are usually very good about replacing motors. they won't usually replace the model, (especially if it isn't theirs") but it couldn't hurt to try.
This is very interesting, Jim and a bunch of us had a discussion just last thursday concerning what would happen if only one motor of a deuce's wild were to ignite. Looks like you just saved Jim a deuce distruction experiment:) Good photo's also.
See there is a silver lining in nealy everything.

Micro

I actually had the Deuce fly on one C6 before (one of the ignitors burned thru) and it continued to gain altitude at an angle but It remained upright ..Infact it ejected more than high enough to ensure a soft landing ..one B6 just doesn't have the thrust to sustain it tho

That is one of the most painful motor failures, a burn-through... man...

at least with a real *cato*, it's all over in a micro-second and there may be some cracked glue joints and scortching, but is often repairable. But a burn-through just sits there and cooks... the bubbled up paint is a sight that i've seen many times and i just *cringe* at the sight... :(

Let us know what Estes does to help.
jim

A dead or dying rocket is a sad thing. :(

That's what I like about low power... the investment in time and love is great, but financially it doesn't hit that hard. You'll have your next duece up and flying soon, I'm sure.

I am a little calmer now that I think about it
It was just a little hard to watch...
yep..It's just part of the territory in this hobby

I'll chalk this one up to experience ...
and this definately isn't my last Deuce

just the first R.I.P.

I've had a few RIPs now, and I'm in the process of designing an area, in my lounge, to proudly display any wreckage I have left over after a rocket dies. I'm just as proud of my wrecked puppies, as I am of the ones currently in service.

Re: Deuces flying on one motor. My Deuce's maiden flight, on 2*A8-3, suffered an ignitor failier, so flew on only one motor. The flight was straight and stable enough to not be a danger, just not very high (5-6m). The nosecone suffered some cosmetic damage, and a few minor dents. Hasn't stopped me having many more flights with it.

It is probally worth sending the remains of the motor back to Estes. They might be able to find out what the cause was, and take note of it in future quality control tests. They can't correct a potential problem if they don't know it exists.

I had a few BP failures in my time. One was my Hyperstager (my own design) with a A10-0T to A3-4T. Perfect boost, but the sustainer CATO'ed on ignition. Blistered the paint above the motor tube and put a big smile on the nose cone. Estes sent me a new pack of A3-4T's, and a Nike Arrow rocket kit.

Don't forget to fill out a MESS form.

Yes, Definately go to WWW.NAR.org and fill out a M.E.S.S. form. then copy this form and send it to Estes. I did thatwhen a CATO took out my Cruader clone.:( Estes called me a couple of weeks later and sent me a Condor kit and a pack of C6-3's. They can't replace clones or other companies kits, but they will usually make things right.:)

yep .I filled out the mess form the day of the failure

I'll call estes Monday.and will send them the motor If they want it ..as for replacing the kit I will see what they say.mabey a substitute.If I'm nice enough

I talked to estes .they were nice about things
I'm sending the case,and pics of the deuce
they said they will send me a close matching kit

Originally posted by stymye

Maybe they're going to send you 2 x BT20s and a Big Bertha, then say "get on with it!" :D

Estes doesn't have anything even close to a "genooowine" FlisKits Dueces Wild!!

Originally posted by stymye

Oh I CANNOT wait to see this!!! Anyone guessing? Probably gonna be a BT-55 or BT-60 based kit, one that's in the range of 10-17 dollars.

Jason

oh, no question of that (juz havin' sum fun :D )

Estes' customer service is second to none...

...well, **maybe** second to *one*... :D :D

Zing!

my bad...

Jim ,
I'm not blowing smoke when I say
It would be very hard to find a better quality or as fun to fly rocket kit , for the price of a Deuces Wild at $12.95+ shipping
heck, thats a tiny bit more than their list price for an Alpha!
and anyone familiar with Fliskits knows that your customer support is every bit as good as Estes. ..or better

I will be happy to get a pack of engines.and whatever else they graciously toss in the package.

Does Estes even have a cluster rocket in production?I don't recall any

not that I am aware of (clusters)

It seems like the vast bulk of the hobby rocketry industry feels that clusters don't serve a purpose with the existance of higher power motors.

I disagree and our customer responses say that most of *you* disagree also :)

This is a good thing.

No! Say it ain't so! Was this at Manchester last weekend? I'm glad I wasn't there to see it...my own Deuce still hasn't flown yet. Maybe next month at NARAM...it is my birthday, after all...

Gobang .yes at Manchester

other than the deuce misshap ..I had a great time

try and make it out next launch if you can

update....
Christene from estes called ME and let me pick out a rocket of my choice!!

I didn't want to be too greedy but I asked for a Big Daddy...no problem! they are replaceing the motors that catoed AND sending a pack of D-12 to fly the Big Daddy on!

Excellent Service!!!! Christene is too cool!!

now I need to call jim and get annother Deuce and a couple more things ...!

(doing the Pee Wee dance)

Back