To squeeze or not to squeeze?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
Back in my day pop came in glass bottles. Couldn't finish it? Grab one of those horrible plunger thingamabobs and put it in the bottle. Nowadays pop comes in a 2 liter plastic bottle. If you don't drink it all at once do you just screw the top back on? Or do you squeeze all the air out and then screw the top on? Which keeps the carbonation in better? Do we need a multi-million dollar government study to figure this out?

Doesn't matter because no one else in the house puts the lid on tight enough anyway. Only a fresh bottle gives soda of appropriate fizziness when you live with a pack of soda barbarians.

Squeezing before closing should have the reverse effect, by giving the CO2 more room to escape out. Ideally you'd want to pressurize the open space in the bottle, not evacuate it.

Oh, and it's called "soda", yeah that's right I said it come at me bro. :wink:

If you squeeze the air out doesn't the force of the bottle trying to return to it's normal shape lower the pressure in the bottle and make it easier for the gas to come out of solution?

If you squeeze the air out doesn't the force of the bottle trying to return to it's normal shape lower the pressure in the bottle and make it easier for the gas to come out of solution?

+1......

Teddy

tis a fizzy soft drink. ideally one would put the top/ cap back on and repressurize the bottle w/ co2 :)
Rex

They're right, don't squeeze. There was even a special cap you could get for 2-liter bottles that had a little squeeze ball on top to repressurize the inside after it was opened (painted like a soccer/basket/base ball). Worked ok a couple times, then seemed to wear out.

[I even had a friend that didn't like carbonation and would Deliberately squeeze the air out of his bottle, seal, wait a minute, unseal, take a drink, and repeat]

Back in my day (which is still today for you older folks) some soda still comes in glass bottles, but I've never been able reseal enough with the screw-caps to get any decent storage out of them. What's this soda plunger thing you speak of? It make provide sealing and slightly pressurize which could help prevent CO2 dissociation.

They're right, don't squeeze. There was even a special cap you could get for 2-liter bottles that had a little squeeze ball on top to repressurize the inside after it was opened (painted like a soccer/basket/base ball). Worked ok a couple times, then seemed to wear out.
I had a set of caps that were essentially a check valve that used a separate manual pump to pressurize the opened bottle. The pump looked exactly like the Vac-U-Vin pump but with a tapered tip to fit the caps. They worked pretty well but to ensure the cap was sealing well I sometimes torqued it enough that the plastic part of the caps cracked. A nice gizmo but not really necessary if you don't take too many days to finish a bottle.

you could also just add marbles to the bottle, until all the vacant space inside said bottle is filled with either soda or marbles..

You could also transfer the soda into an accordion style bottle, and 'accord' as required to ensure no 'air gap'..

We used to have this same issue with developer fluid for photography. any air reduces its effectiveness, so we would store it in a bottle and add marbles to it. or one kid had a neat 'accordion bottle' where he could squeeze the air out.. Of course, I'm no longer a starving student trying to take advantage of the school's dark room, and I've switched to digital "film"..

Squeezing before closing should have the reverse effect, by giving the CO2 more room to escape out. Ideally you'd want to pressurize the open space in the bottle, not evacuate it.

Bing bing bing! There are carbonation caps for sale at homebrewing sites that let you pressurize a PET bottle with CO2 to prevent this very phenomenon, but you need a CO2 system. Not a hard thing to come by if you're a homebrewing with a kegging system, but for the occasional bottle of coke, not really worth it.

Ya know that there's a region of the US that doesn't say "Pop" or "Soda", when referring to any kind of carbonated sugary drink... They call them all "Coke", even when referring to "Pepsi"

Doesn't matter because no one else in the house puts the lid on tight enough anyway. Only a fresh bottle gives soda of appropriate fizziness when you live with a pack of soda barbarians.

Now paging ThirstyBarbarian... ThirstyBarbarian, please use the white phone...

Ya know that there's a region of the US that doesn't say "Pop" or "Soda", when referring to any kind of carbonated sugary drink... They call them all "Coke", even when referring to "Pepsi"

Yes, that would be in and around Georgia, and those people are crazy (at least insofar as calling everything "Coke").

Man, why do we waste our time arguing about glue and paint when we could be debating what to call carbonated soft drinks?

So, we're not talking Charmin??? :facepalm:

I have to got to service schools in Atlanta, GA every other year or so. Trying to find a Pepsi in that @#$%^ place is impossible... :mad:
Everything is Coke and that's it.

I have to got to service schools in Atlanta, GA every other year or so. Trying to find a Pepsi in that @#$%^ place is impossible... :mad:
Yeah, but what -kind-? Dr Pepper?

Yeah, but what -kind-? Dr Pepper?

Haha, thats how I rember it as a kid in TN.

Waitress: what'll ya'll want to drink?

Customer: Coke

Waitress: Coca Cola, DrPepper, Fanta, or Barq's?

Customer: Dr.Pepper

Waitress: Okay one Coke.

Coke was a reference to any brand of pop/soda, the flavor was specific, even Pepsi was "Coke".

This is soda, bro
11376703_141055662893142_550260460_n.jpg

Your move.

Yes, that would be in and around Georgia, and those people are crazy (at least insofar as calling everything "Coke").?

Hey there!!!!!!! I resemble that remark!!@#$$#@!#

Actually in South Ga [where I live] Ya can still get a RC & Moonpie or even Pepsi....of course they still stock Cheerwine - Mr Pibb-and DR Pepper, every where.

Can't forget Peach-Strawberry-Pineapple Fanta soda....yummmmmmmmm. Peach soda and a dill pickle are southern favorites for the kiddies.

Haha, thats how I rember it as a kid in TN.

Waitress: what'll ya'll want to drink?

Customer: Coke

Waitress: Coca Cola, DrPepper, Fanta, or Barq's?

Customer: Dr.Pepper

Waitress: Okay one Coke.

Coke was a reference to any brand of pop/soda, the flavor was specific, even Pepsi was "Coke".

I've experienced this when traveling, and it makes no sense! Granted, I'm originally a Yankee,
So points deducted and all, but why would someone order a "coke" when he or she knows that's insuffient detail to complete the transaction!? When asked what I want on my salad, I don't say "dressing", because I KNOW the next question is going to be, "ok, what kind?" When I say I want a Coke, bring me a dang coke! If I want diet, I'll ask for it, and if I really want a Sprite, why the heck would I be asking for a coke?? I get the regional differences- but you gotta be a jerk to tell the waitress thay you want a soda or a pop if what you really want is a root beer. Just ask for what they have, or specify!! /rant

I've experienced this when traveling, and it makes no sense! Granted, I'm originally a Yankee,
So points deducted and all, but why would someone order a "coke" when he or she knows that's insuffient detail to complete the transaction!? When asked what I want on my salad, I don't say "dressing", because I KNOW the next question is going to be, "ok, what kind?" When I say I want a Coke, bring me a dang coke! If I want diet, I'll ask for it, and if I really want a Sprite, why the heck would I be asking for a coke?? I get the regional differences- but you gotta be a jerk to tell the waitress thay you want a soda or a pop if what you really want is a root beer. Just ask for what they have, or specify!! /rant

Here's a similar anecdote involving the same cultural norms when it's not your culture- my job had me traveling extensively through China, and my time there was fantastic. Wonderful food (and no, it's not like dragon village down the road! You simply cannot GET authentic Chinese unless you're in a major city and have the ability to speak the language). I'll eat anything, and, somehow, I'm not more than 10% over my college weight. I complained to my local colleagues that I eat too much, so they taught me what I thought was an invaluable saying- something like "Tao che bao" (maybe k'tesh can correct my pronunciation). This means, usually, "I am very satisfied! No more!"
I was excited to know this, and used it in front of a group of Chinese pathologists after a lunch meeting...and was shocked when the waitress returned with a plate of pork buns. Apparently I accented incorrectly, or, because I was "guailo" (white ghost), they didn't think i meant/knew the euphemism, which means, "I'm stuffed like a pig".

Try this. We have one of these for making sparkling water, and also another one built into our Samsung refrigerator.
sodastream-jet-black-300.jpg

There is only Coke and Dr. Pepper.

Drink them properly from a fresh small bottle or can, in their entirety.

Jim, Banana moon pies are the best!

There are people who purposefully make sparkling water? That's horrifying!

Thank god!! :)

The worst reply I ever get from a waitress when I order a Diet Coke, and I pretty much only hear it when I'm traveling, is for her to ask, "Is Diet Pepsi okay?"
(((shudder)))

Back