To sell or not to sell.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvryThngIsAOk

Reaction score
Now that the Estes Saturn V is returning in the upgraded 1969 form I find myself wondering if I should sell my last unbuilt 2157.
I have a built one that will probably never fly and will add several of the 1969 once they hit the shelves but what to do with my "backup" kit.
See they are selling on ebay for around 100 right now and that pays for a 1969 and then sum.
but once its gone...
Opinions?

Sell. Definitely.

I've never been much of a fan of, nor seen the sense in, "collectibles" and such. A rocket kit is made to be built and flown in my opinion. It does absolutely no good sitting around as parts in a box or bag. And as far as the logic of "yeah, but it's worth "X" amount of dollars" goes....the way I see it that's meaningless until you actually sell it and get those dollars in your hand. And if you "would never sell it because it's worth so much", well then that dollar amount is also essentially meaningless. Not that you are saying any of those things yourself.....just my opinion about such things (which you did ask for).

Build it and fly it, or sell it and get those dollars in your pocket. I don't see the logic in anything else.

s6

I agree with stealth; build it or sell it. If you would rather spend the $100 on other rockets or motors then sell it. If not, build it.

I agree I am not a keep it because it’s worth $$$$ shrine on the shelf kind of rocket guy.
I build kits that make some people in the local club cringe but I buy them to build and for the most part fly.
What I don’t like is building, one flying it, and if something happens having to spend a lot to buy another so I usually buy a builder and a spare. But as I said I probably won’t ever fly my 2157 so was iffy on selling it.
Thanks for the input think I will just put it out there for sale.

If you can sell it now for $100, I’d do it, because the new 1969 kit looks nicer and easier to build and is only $89 MSRP. So I’d expect the bottom to fall out of the 2157 market pretty quickly, unless there’s something unique about that version.

The anniversary Edition's Saturn 5's are the $100 if you want one of each.
If you end up selling it, perhaps offer it up here on TRF first.
I buy when I can off Ebay, but I won't sell there.
The fees from Ebay and PayPal exceed the worth while of getting what I could get.
If you have one that is static for display already, than perhaps build it to be a flyer.
Build it with skill and strength. Just epoxy small earth magnets on the escape tower and capsule so landings doesn't break it.
It will just pop off. They are cheap enough.

Back