To build or not to build....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normzilla

Reaction score
So picked up a 3" Punisher during the Christmas sale last year and have been itching to build it, BUT, I've held off because I don't have a 54 motor to use as a spacer for the motor mount/tail cone build.

Should I continue to hold off the build to get the spacing right or does it even matter?

Thanks for the advice.

Nathan

You could 3D print a model of said engine and use it as a spacer. If you personally don't have access to a 3D printer, you could find a local library or Makerspace that should have one.

Is there anyone who you can ask to borrow a 54mm case?
Or.... you could buy the case you are eventually going to buy anyway. If you're only using it for spacing of the block you could probably get by with out the forward closure for now to spread out the damage to the wallet

Is there anyone who you can ask to borrow a 54mm case?
Or.... you could buy the case you are eventually going to buy anyway. If you're only using it for spacing of the block you could probably get by with out the forward closure for now to spread out the damage to the wallet
As far as I know, I'm the only high power in Laredo, TX

You can also use an Aero Pack 54-38 adapter with a spent 38mm case, the spacing works out the same.

I was referring to the fact that that you don't actually need a 54mm motor casing to use your tail cone in that rocket. If you want to fly 38mm motors in that rocket, you can buy an Aero Pack 54-38 motor adapter use that along with a 38mm spent casing to get the right spacing when gluing the threaded portion of your tail cone to the motor tube.
I have several 3" rockets with Aero Pack 54mm tail cones and the Aero Pack model A3854 adapter lets me fly 38mm motors in those rockets and the tail cone still fits with no gaps between it and the rocket's body. There are pics on the Aero Pack web site that show what I'm talking about: https://aeropack.net/motoradapters.asp

Last edited:
I was referring to the fact that that you don't actually need a 54mm motor casing to use your tail cone in that rocket. If you want to fly 38mm motors in that rocket, you can buy an Aero Pack 54-58 motor adapter use that along with a 38mm spent casing to get the right spacing when gluing the threaded portion of your tail cone to the motor tube.
I have several 3" rockets with Aero Pack 54mm tail cones and the Aero Pack model A3854 adapter lets me fly 38mm motors in those rockets and the tail cone still fits with no gaps between it and the rocket's body. There are pics on the Aero Pack web site that show what I'm talking about: https://aeropack.net/motoradapters.asp
Ah. Got'cha

Back