To build or not build...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much into preservation. Split the difference- build it, fly it once, if it survives preserve it.

I say build it because looking at any kind of kit in the package is no fun for me. The way I look at it, kit collecting isn't worth it if you are going to feel the itch to build it every time you look at it. On the flip side, if you build it and are afraid to launch it, you would probably enjoy the kit more if it just stayed in the package.

Take pictures of the parts. Scan the fins/fin patterns, decals, and instructions (more or less depending on the kit particulars). Build it and photograph sub-assemblies. I'm with Mark. Fly it once and then display it. Maybe another flight down the road at some big national event that features retro models.

I have never understood collecting kits. Buy them, build them. Flying is optional- but a bag of parts just not that interesting to me.

Build it and get your monies worth by flying it until it falls apart. I am not a fan of dust collectors, and that is what most collections end up being. I know some toy collectors are particular in that things have to be mint and never opened, but I am not sure there are many into rocketry that are like that.

Did you just pick that up at the NYPOWER auction...I saw one there.

Whatever gives YOU the most pleasure/fun/enjoyment/satisfaction/etc.

If you truly get a lot of "the good stuff" out of just having the unbuilt kit, then keep it that way.

Myself, I just don't get that mindset though. Makes zero sense to my brain (and gut). I'm all about the building and flying.......just "having" doesn't do it for me. But to each his own I guess. It's your kit, it should make you happy. Build/fly it, or preserve/display it....it's all good.

That said, the one thing that I am more judgmental about when it comes to the collector mindset is the whole "It's worth $$XX, but I'd never sell it" thing. I'm sorry but that's just stupid. The only time something is "worth" a given amount of money is: A) someone is actually about to hand you this amount of money, and B) you actually take it. It doesn't matter if some collector's book or website quotes a particular dollar amount....until someone is actually willing to pay that amount, this number is irrelevant and meaningless. And if a collector says that they wouldn't actually sell it anyway, than it is also meaningless - it's effectively worth NO dollars...none. If you want to keep it because you like it and it gives you pleasure, than I think that's great. But don't tell me that you are keeping it because "it's worth a lot of money" and that you wouldn't sell it....that's just plain silly.

Roland.....to be clear, I'm NOT accusing you (or others on this thread so far) of this thinking, and I don't think that's where you are coming from. This is more a general observation of some collector types I've come across.

Actually, if it was me, I'd probably put those "it's worth $$XX" theories to test and I'd sell it. Assuming I could get a good amount of money for it, I'd put that cash to use towards something more to my tastes.

Keep it as it is, or build and fly it, (or sell it!)......either way, I hope you have fun,
s6

As stealth6 basically said, there is no wrong answer here.

Build it. Fly it. That is, and always has been, its destiny.

I'm also facing this quandary. I picked up a vintage Estes Black Brant II kit from 1996 and a Sentinel from about 1990-ish. Real die-crushed fins! Two kits that I wanted back then but never got. As someone at the auction pointed out, sometimes it's nice to open that vintage bottle of wine and enjoy! I say build it but thoroughly document along the way. Scan decals and fins with a ruler and the instructions.

I have to say I'm surprised that not one person started banging on the keyboard and foaming from the mouth at even the remotest suggestion that this VINTAGE kit might actually get built. I'll finish my marslander first and then get to it. It would be a bad, bad thing if youtube didn't have a launchvideo from a Eagle Transporter.

Let it out. Let it out! It wants to get out :)

Remember the Firefly episode "Safe"? This quote is applicable: "Now they see sky, and they remember what they are." That's what I think whenever I see a kit in a bag.

Apparently in the minority here, which is odd because I'm not a collector! It looks like a unique nose cone, but what are the chances you can use the information you have (instructions, fin template/balsa sheet) to build a clone while leaving the original kit intact? Best of both worlds, and with today's 3D printer availability, even an odd piece isn't a show stopper!

Depending on condition they are like $200 -$250 on Ebay. You will get more value than that bringing it to the launch and watching all the old farts drule with envy! Or you could go pick up a MPC reissue plastic model with the Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon for $18 and modify it to fly horizontally as a PMC. That would be a good idea. . .right?

If you do not build it, it is just a kit....

If you build it but don't fly it, it is just a model....

Build it, Fly it - Now it is a Model ROCKET!!!!!

I'd like to know how you came to own this rare beastie. I'm not a collector but a quick search of ebay brought up nothing to gauge the value. Can you tell what shape the parts are in ?

I bought it when the club shop of https://www.drra.nl had it's closing sale. Our club had it's own shop. Long long time ago model rockets and engines were almost impossible to get hold of in Holland so some club members imported them for the club, from the late 70's to around 2005. Availability improved enough that it was no longer necessary to maintain a club supply so everything had to go. I bought some Centuri and FSI kits and some engines (It should be illegal to NOT produce the FSI E-60 and F-100!!).

Condition of the kit? Like new. Only the plastic bag that contains the parts is showing it's age a bit.

I wonder if that showing its age factor for the bag could translate in to build the kit before the kit itself becomes unbuildable?
A thought, perhaps silly, of mine is that building a kit shows respect for the efforts of the people who designed and made it.

Back