• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

xx To All Following JAL3's Sales:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
I'm not sure how long it has been since I have been on site. It seems like years but I think it's only a week or so. For a little bit longer, I only checked posts but was not able to take care of anything.

I have just completed the most grueling series of shifts I have ever done at the hospital or anywhere else. Because of a combination of a few colleagues having gone on vacation and a few others having fallen sick, I found myself scheduled, rescheduled and held over again, often sleeping in a chair at one of the hospitals. At my age, this was tiring but not the real problem.

What I had real trouble with was what I was doing. The number of deaths I have had to handle in the last few weeks has been obscene. The conditions of some of those deaths was even more so. All of this was happening as the general intensity of operations and new admissions has been actually decreasing. Last Saturday alone, I had to deal with 7 deaths and 5 codes at one of our facilities. One of those deaths was a 25 year old young lady who was found at home passed out from Covid complications. Her child was delivered prematurely in the ER and rushed to NICU but was not expected to survive. The mother coded on the way to the OR and did not make it. I am happy to say that the baby boy is still hanging on. One of the people I lost was a colleague who was in my ordination class. Another was a nurse I had worked closely with on difficult cases for years. We were both crazy and made a good team.

That was a particularly bad day but the others were bad as well. It got to where all I could manage was to struggle from one page to the next and hoping for a few moments respite between emergencies and tragedies. The emotional drain has far surpassed the physical one.

Early on, I would check my emails but then even that became too much the chore and my only goal was endurance. For a while I worried about the need to let people know what was going on; that I was not ignoring posts or PMs. Finally, though, I really stopped caring.

I slept 13 hours at home last night. I plan on introducing myself to my wife today and make sure that the dogs remember what I smell like. I even hope to fix a few thing around the house and maybe trim some brush. The idea of a meal prepared and served in a place that does not stock stomach pumps also has a certain amount of appeal.

Tomorrow I will start responding again. I think that I managed to send everything out that was supposed to go. If I did not, however, I will process a full refund and still send out your order. For those waiting to finalize purchases, I will do so if you want. I just need to check the dates of the messages to find out who is in line. My wife would probably even appreciate it if I would clear out a little stock.

To all, I offer my sincere apologies.

Peace and Grace,

John A. Lee O.S.L. (JAL3)

Ohhhh yikes…well I hope I didn’t come off as snarky in the Tres thread! My apologies if it did. Take your time. I’m in no rush especially now that I know the situation.

Wow, what a nightmare. I’m sorry to hear about your colleagues and all the rest. Hang in there.

Sorry to hear about your current circumstances. Really not good. Take care of yourself first. Rockets can wait. Let's hope things improve sooner.
Maybe just one foot after the other till your situation resolves. Do what you need to do to make it out the other side.

Thanks to all.

I am back at the hospital, unexpectedly. I was called in because of a patient from Crete. Some family have arrived and a Greek speaker was needed.

Things are looking better today. I will be checking things out when I get home a little later this afternoon.

John, take care of your home health and heart. The rockets are just window dressing in our lives. Know you are making a difference and the personal costs are noted. #SurviveinStyle. You are a hero!

I’m sorry for what you are going through, and wish you all strength in your work. As many have said, focus on what really matters most, and this ain’t it.

The work you are doing is undoubtedly, crushingly hard. I hope you take this next part how I mean it, I’m glad YOU are doing it. There are precious few who could shoulder what you are taking on in being there for so many. I‘m thankful for the folks like you who can do it, and in spite of knowing the personal burden, step up. Thank you.

Just remember you can't help anyone if you go down.
I will wait patiently for my rockets.

Man that sucks. I have tremendously sympathy for anyone working in hospitals right now, especially since they must suffer with the knowledge that so much of this death and misery was avoidable.
How true….please get vaccinated if you haven’t yet as this is an example of the fallout….besides death.

Does anyone have any info about John? He is absent for a while both from the forum and emails.

I got an email from John today, and he asked that I pass along that he has spent much of the last month in quarantine in Canada. He had to travel up for a personal matter, and he does not have a computer with him and this is very limited on access to anything

he will respond back to everyone as soon as he is back home and able

-Kevin

I got an email from John today, and he asked that I pass along that he has spent much of the last month in quarantine in Canada. He had to travel up for a personal matter, and he does not have a computer with him and this is very limited on access to anything

-Kevin

Prayers sent. I hope he full recovers and had safe travels.

-Kevin

That is good news.

I am finally back after more than a month.

I have spent 19 days in 3 quarantine facilities in two provinces.

My "business" was on a very small spit of sand posing as an island, a 5 hour ferry ride from Prince Edward Island out into the Atlantic. Connectivity there is problematic in terms of both phone and internet service. Internet wasn't really an issue because I was halfway across Alabama before realizing that I had left my laptop on my desk in San Antonio.

My purpose in going up there was to reach one of my oldest and dearest friends who had a terminal diagnosis. He retired to the home "town" of his wife after retiring from the USMC. By the time I got there, he was no longer conscious. He died the next day. I did his funeral and helped his wife arrange for survivor benefits. Much of this could not be done practically in the time frame I had availble on the small island so I "commuted" to PEI to handle these things. At least English was the primary language there; my French is almost non-existent.

I am finally home and have ensured that my wife did not file for survivor benefits from me; made sure the dogs remember what I smell like; ensured the cat still doesn't care one way or another as long as the food and litter box are taken care of; checked to make sure I still have a job because I know I haven't had a paycheck in over a month.

Before leaving, I made sure that I did not have any outstanding commitments. There was one rocket that I went ahead and mailed out at my expense. Other than that, all I had some listings and some boxes of rockets that had been paid for and which I had agreed to store in case others might be bought in the future. No problem, or so I thought.

The day before my last quarantine in Moncton was to come to an end, I got an email on my phone from PayPal saying that somebody had opened a case against me. I had no access to my records to check the situation out and I did not have my login information for paypal on my phone. It would have to wait until I got home.

I DID have Troj's email on my phone and asked him to post a message for me. I am most grateful that he did so and appreciate his help in this matter. It did take me longer to made the drive back than I expected but I am finally back. I even had a few hours of sleep after getting home last night.

As it happens, I still do have a job and am even picking up a shift tonight for the hospital system.

Today and tomorrow, I will make sure that I did not mess up on getting anyone's merchandise shipped out. I will be in contact the the unhappy customer just as soon as I have a chance. That is not "RIGHT NOW" but it will be today or tomorrow.

If anyone else is unhappy with me, please let me know and I will try to rectify any problems that I may have caused. I know of no other cases at present but I have been hard to reach and may not know about it.

Thank You,

JAL

Glad you made it home safely, and that your lovely wife and the animals still accept you as belonging in the house. :)

-Kevin

I know this is an old thread, but to @JAL3, how did the little boy fare (from post #1)? I remember reading this thread when you posted it back in September; I hope (I'm pretty sure I did, but if I didn't, I have now) I said a silent prayer for that little boy, his mother and everyone else affected by this tragedy of COVID-19 (and its numerous variants).

I know this is an old thread, but to @JAL3, how did the little boy fare (from post #1)? I remember reading this thread when you posted it back in September; I hope (I'm pretty sure I did, but if I didn't, I have now) I said a silent prayer for that little boy, his mother and everyone else affected by this tragedy of COVID-19 (and its numerous variants).

The boy survived. It was touch and go for a while but he defied the odds. He actually got to go home a few days before Christmas.

I'm ashamed to admit I had to look back at post 1 to refresh my memory. So much has happened that the details sometimes blur in my memory. That is one of the facts of life in chaplaincy as opposed to the local church. Many people I only meet once, usually at a very bad time for them. Some, I get to know better because they remain in the facility for a while and some become "frequent flyers". As a predominantly night time chaplain, I am seldom called except for the bad stuff although there are exceptions. When I'm on duty, many of the people I have met, even if still patients, are asleep.

The strange thing is that, if I am to do chaplaincy at all, as opposed to being in the local church, I actually prefer overnights. My wife says its because I'm a creature of darkness to begin with but the reality is different. I think I have more to offer in times of trouble. That is not to denigrate the daytime people. They are vitally important but their skills are better in those situations of routine visits during the day and mine are better when things go to pieces.

Thanks for remembering.

I think I have more to offer in times of trouble. That is not to denigrate the daytime people. They are vitally important but their skills are better in those situations of routine visits during the day and mine are better when things go to pieces.

The reality is that everyone is better at different things. You're obviously someone better able to navigate those exceedingly difficult times and help people navigate them. That requires an entirely different set of inter-personal skills than helping people when things are going well.

-Kevin

Latest posts

Back