EVENT TNT - Tripoli North Texas | Seymour, TX | May 29-31

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnapRoll

Reaction score
**TNT is excited to announce the first Annual Texas Shootout**

1620841287613.png
Tripoli North Texas is excited to host the first ever all Texas Tripoli launch at our field in Seymour, TX. While the main focus of this launch is to unite all of the Texas clubs, registration is open to any rocketeer, regardless of location, that would like to attend!!.

This will be a 3 day launch over the Memorial day weekend. May 29th, 30th, and 31st.

We have made some enhancements to the registration process so please read the information below and on the web page that is dedicated to the Seymour field.

The following guidelines will apply for The Texas Shootout:

1. Advanced Online Pre-Registration for this event is required!!. You can register online by using the registration button on the calendar event to complete the process.

2. The launch will be conducted on land owned by a private individual and will require all fliers to sign a liability waiver to participate. Agreement to this waiver will be included in the online registration process.

3. To participate in this launch - you must be a registered national member of TRA or NAR with a currently active status. Please be prepared to present your membership card when you check in at the field.

4. As this is a 3 day launch, the launch fees will be:

Low Power: $ 0.00

Students Members: $15.00

TNT Club Members: $40.00

Non TNT Members: $40.00

Note: There is also a small PayPal fee applied at registration.

5. A "Porta Potty" will be provided on site.

6. We will continue to follow the CDC guidelines during our launch:

A. If you feel sick - Please Stay Home !

B. Social Distancing - Please keep a six-foot distance between you and others while in the public areas, around the Check-in tent, and the RSO station

C. Pop-up Canopies - Please leave 10 ft. between you and your neighbor

D. Masks are to be worn when in the public areas which include the Check-in tent, RSO station, and while out on the range

E. Flight cards - Please collect your flight cards at check-in and fill them out at your set-up area using your own pen.

Event Details:

Please see the attached weblink for all the details on the launch site location, altitude waiver, and the lodging accommodations in the surrounding area.

Launch Setup:

Friday the 27th Afternoon - Volunteers are appreciated!!

Launch Schedule:

Saturday the 29th: 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
Sunday the 30th: 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
Monday the 31th: 9:00 am to 12:00 pm

Social Event:

There will be a catered dinner on Saturday the 29th. The dinner will be an amazing buffet of food prepared by Craig Peters. The meal will include Steaks, Ribs, Chicken, Sausage and Frog legs as well as a variety of sides. Craig has cooked for us previously in Seymore and his food is fantastic. This is a meal that you don't want to miss. We will meet around 5:00 at the Cache Creek Hunt Club on Saturday evening for cocktails and dinner. The cost of the dinner will be $20.00 and it is BYOB.

Important Note: You do not have to be a registered flier at the launch to attend the dinner - but advanced registration for the dinner is still required because we need an accurate count of how many people we will be cooking for.

If you plan on attending the dinner but not launching - please complete the registration in advance.

Motors:

Restrictions: Sparky motors are dependent on field conditions. The launch director will make a determination before the launch if they will be allowed.

Please notify us if you want to fly anything larger than an M motor

Camping on site is permitted with prior approval - No open fires are allowed

As Always - Donations are appreciated to cover the cost of the Porta-a-Potty ($200 Rental Fee)

Good Morning TRF!

Some exciting updates and things to look forward to at the TX Shootout-

1. We will have an on-site coffee vendor! Mark and Michelle Hedley of Spiral Horn Coffee Company from San Saba TX, have graciously offered their efforts and time to bring out a coffee trailer, where they will be serving Hot, Iced, and Nitro Coffee. Mark is a Level 2 flyer with TNT and is building a beautiful high powered rocketry fleet. We are beyond honored and lucky to have them and are very grateful for all of their help! If you're not able to attend the TXSO but still want to buy some coffee from Spiral Horn, take a look at their website at https://www.spiralhorncoffee.com. Thanks Mark!

2. L1000 ARCAS 50/50 Raffle! ---- Yours truly, and Loren Walden, will be doing a full-scale ARCAS L-1000 drag race, and an associated 50/50 raffle, to support the TNT Trailer fund! Same rockets, same engines, same ignitors, no modifications. First to clear the tower wins. 50/50 tickets will be $1, put your ticket in the jar of the rocket you think will win. No limits on tickets or choosing either rocket.. :) Winner will be determined via high-speed camera/photo. With a winner determined, one ticket will be pulled from the winners bucket.. the owner of that corresponding ticket gets 1/2 the pot, the other 1/2 will go to the TNT trailer fund.

3. Registrations are really building up! If you don't have plans over Memorial Day weekend, you should make some with us, because this is turning out to be a big event.

We look forward to hosting you at the first Annual Texas Shootout!

UPDATE!
A quick update regarding the HV ARCAS L-1000 Drag Race! Chris Bender from Lab Rat Rocketry has generously donated a bunch of awesome LBR stuff for the drag race. This 50/50 raffle just got ten times better, because not only will we have a winner of a pot of cash, but the a 'loser' will become a 'winner', thanks to Chris! At the conclusion of the race, we will draw a ticket from the LOSING rocket's bucket, and the holder of the corresponding ticket will be getting a bag of Lab Rat Rocketry products. Chris included his Primo Electrical Connectors, GPS protective sleeves, Rail Button Nuts, and Pull-pin switches! If you haven't checked out Chris's products, head on over to www.labratrocketry.com and take a look.

THE DRAG RACE WILL TAKE PLACE ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON! TICKETS ARE $1 A PIECE, AND WILL BE AT THE LCO/RSO TENT. A BUCKET WILL BE PLACED NEXT TO EACH ROCKET, PUT YOUR TICKET IN THE CORRESPONDING BUCKET AND ENJOY THE RACE! THE WINNER WILL BE DETERMINED VIA PHOTO/VIDEO, AND IT'S THE FIRST TO CLEAR THE RAIL!

it's too late for me to attend but i live in Dallas and typically launch with DARS ( i haven't launched since the pandemic got in full swing for a number of reasons ). what's the altitude limit? i'm about 2/3 through an L3 build that simulates to about 20k feet. I'm tentatively planning on launching at AirFest in KS but would prefer to stay in TX.

it's too late for me to attend but i live in Dallas and typically launch with DARS ( i haven't launched since the pandemic got in full swing for a number of reasons ). what's the altitude limit? i'm about 2/3 through an L3 build that simulates to about 20k feet. I'm tentatively planning on launching at AirFest in KS but would prefer to stay in TX.

Hey Chad,

After the conclusion of the TXSO this year, I am going to start working with the FAA regarding a higher waiver. Our waiver right now is to 16,000 AGL / 17,500 MSL due to Class A airspace. (Elevation of the area is about 1500 feet, and Class A is 18,000-60,000) Having a Waiver into Class A has a different process. COVID has made things slightly difficult due to staffing at the FAA Regional Office. My hope is to have a higher waiver put together by the end of the year, but that all depends on how quickly things move.

1) It's never too late!
2) 16K is our current waiver for commercial motors.
3) It's still not too late...

Lets see...

My plans include

L3 project - QUE$TIONABLE INVE$TMENT planned for an M1500G (fingers crossed that the motor makes it)
PML Thunder & Lightning on an I300T boost staging at +1second to a H143SS
The world renowned Armageddon Industries Spool Of Doom - Loki I110
4" Jayhawk - I305FJ
Snake Eater (Mongoose 38) - H97J
Spike - Loki H144

Chris Bender from Lab Rat Rocketry has generously donated a bunch of awesome LBR stuff for the drag race.
Awesome! Thank you Chris!

Rumor has it there also might be a J570 drag race with minimum diameter rockets.
Adjusting sims to match previous flights gets me to 15,600 with the J570. Any prize for closest to 16k (but under) haha

About to register, as it looks like I will be able to make it. I have a couple of RC/RGs to fly, plus a number of my old reliable MP and HP models.
This will be my first Tripoli launch since 2016 when I made it to one at Asa, near Waco.

Is pyrobob coming to sell motors, or perhaps another motor vendor?

Awesome! Thank you Chris!

Rumor has it there also might be a J570 drag race with minimum diameter rockets.
Adjusting sims to match previous flights gets me to 15,600 with the J570. Any prize for closest to 16k (but under) haha

Glad to help out. I specifically submitted that prize for the end of the drag race I usually finish on...the losing end.

That does sound like a fun MD drag race. Last drag race I did was the complete opposite, 29 mm Art Applewhite Cinco Saucers on H97 smokies.🤪 Very low with dense smoke...should not have done that upwind of the flight line. Yep, mistakes were made.

Last edited:
I haven't launched a rocket in more than thirty years and don't know anyone into rocketry at all, but so long as the forecast stays favorable (looks like only a few hours of rain Saturday at this point), I'll be there with 0 rockets and tons of questions which I'll try not to make too annoying.

I haven't launched a rocket in more than thirty years and don't know anyone into rocketry at all, but so long as the forecast stays favorable (looks like only a few hours of rain Saturday at this point), I'll be there with 0 rockets and tons of questions which I'll try not to make too annoying.

We are very excited to visit with you bud, and show you a great time! Looking forward to welcoming you back into the hobby. 🙂❤️

I am getting excited as well. This is the first large launch (actually, any launch) I have been to since 2016.

By the way, I am looking for a volunteer with a video camera to capture a few RC rocket glider flights. My normal partner in crime that usually does photo and video is not able to make it.

If interested, look for the guy with a silver Honda Odyssey van with 4-5 rocket gliders under his pop-up up and say hello.

Around 8, apparently. Arriving around 9, I only heard this second hand. :)

Many thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and hospitality to this rank beginner.

Stephen, it was a pleasure to meet you and glad you were able to hang out with us!

Conditions were a touch spotty early, with low clouds, and nothing left the pads until 1030 or so. The day got better and better and was near perfect towards mid afternoon, except or a few pesky lowish cumulus clouds. Lots of blue as the day progressed and lots of rockets launched.

Could only make it Saturday. Here's what the flight line looked like from North to South:

fl1.jpg
fl2.jpg
fl3.jpg
fl4.jpg
fl5.jpg
fl6.jpg
fl7.jpg

We were at the far South end. You can barely make out the top of the beige tent, just to the left of center.

Back