• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found TLP Phoenix AIM-54C (K017) (1.6 inch) Info

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Working on a sim for someone who is looking to do a clone of the TLP Phoenix AIM-54C kit. Does anyone have an open kit that they wouldn't mind measuring and scanning for me?

We're basing the clone on Estes' parts (BT-60) with a PNC-60N nosecone.

However, I'm missing some critical info...
What is the parachute made of?
How long is the shock cord? Width? Material?
What is the LL's length?

Thanks!
JIm

Last edited:
I don’t know if this helps, as I don’t have that particular kit, but every other TLP kit I’ve built(quite a few) has had Mylar parachutes, 4’ of 1/4” black fabric shock cord and 2” flimsy paper launch lugs. All of which I replace on the builds with no adverse effect on balance or flight.

Last edited:
Working on a sim for someone who is looking to do a clone of the TLP Phoenix AIM-54C kit. Does anyone have an open kit that they wouldn't mind measuring and scanning for me?

Jim,
I don't have TLP's Phoenix, but I had recently finished building TLP's Grail, and just started Matra Super, and they share a lot of similarities among the parts that are the focus of your inquiry. Both used the same DIY hexagonal Mylar chute. The only difference between the two was in the length of the elastic shock cord (1.6" Grail's was shorter).
I did not use any of TLP's recovery gear, so both sets are sitting in my "spare parts" bin.

However, I'm missing some critical info...
What is the parachute made of?
How long is the shock cord? Width? Material?
What is the LL's length?

Chute it DIY mylar, of varying diameter. Kit comes with hexagonal cut sheet of Mylar, shroud lines, two swivels, and shroud reinforcement stick-on circles. Phoenix and Matra are both 2.6" kits, and Matra's chute is of hexagonal 20" length (would have been diameter, if it was round) variety.

Shock cord is 1/4" wide elastic, 48" long on the 2.6" Matra kit.

LL is 2.5" long.
There were zero references to LL installation in the instructions (text or diagrams), so I cut mine in two and glued halves at the aft end, and the CG.

TLP recovery gear.jpg

HTH,
a

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!!!

Here's where I stand... The forward fin's paper fin brackets are beyond the ability of OR 15.03's ability to reproduce. I can do it on the developer's versions, and plan on doing that.

Markings are based on the image of the kit found on TLP's website.

1619150139165.png

Latest posts

Back