TLP Nike Ajax Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need any reference shots? I took some decent close up detail shots when I was at the New England Air Museum in Hartford, CT a few weeks ago (larger than this of course).

FC

IMG_4111.jpg

I began sanding my booster fins last night, but I just could not get that diamond shape in the fin. It was just too delicate and I was too squeamish to push it and risk snapping a fin in half. So, mine is kinda diamond like...I failed in scale.:eyepop:

Getting closer to finishing. This is the longest duration I've spent on a project. Most definitely not, a weekend build.:wink: All that remains is the wiring tunnels, installation of the motor cluster, fillets, primer then a coat of paint. I papered the booster fins as well. What a difference it made in rigidity. As I mentioned before, I did not sand-down the booster fins in a diamond pattern, maybe I'll do another in the near future and will have a little more confidence in doing it.
NA21.jpg

I began sanding my booster fins last night, but I just could not get that diamond shape in the fin. It was just too delicate and I was too squeamish to push it and risk snapping a fin in half. So, mine is kinda diamond like...I failed in scale.

I am having the same heebies with the Thunderbird I am building - its hellish difficult stuff - much harder than I had thought so like you I am am quitting while ahead and still have usable fins :)

Your Nike looks brilliant as it is - lets face it when these things are 30' away on a pad or 600' in the air who will notice anyway.

I began sanding my booster fins last night, but I just could not get that diamond shape in the fin. It was just too delicate and I was too squeamish to push it and risk snapping a fin in half. So, mine is kinda diamond like...I failed in scale.:eyepop:

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you on the booster fins. I've been swamped with the new web site and sales.

The easiest way to sand the diamond shape on the fins, well it's too late now, is to make each booster fin in two halfs like the Estes kit.

View attachment shaping Nike Ajax fins.pdf

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you on the booster fins. I've been swamped with the new web site and sales.

Not too late. Actually, I've been thinking of getting another and build it to use the E12s.

Besides, I understand, you have a business to run. It's no problem, no apology necessary! Thanks for posting that!:handshake:

Astrobaby: Tell me about it. Like you, I know when to take my dog out of the fight.:lol:

A few folks were inquiring about the Nike Ajax photos at the New England Air Museum. Here's a link to them (so I don't flood the thread with photos).

Nike Ajax Photos

FC

I just landed this kit and definitely excited about the veritable lumber yard-in-a-bag!!! I've read the thread many times hoping for an update...I'd love to see your finished rocket. I read about the wire tunnels on the band saw, just curious how yours turned out. Also, which parachute option did you go with? I've had mixed results with Mylar in the past and ended up switching to a "shopping bag*" for my other TLP kit (Osirus). Looking forward to an update!!!!

*shopping bag just happened to be from the Atomic Test Museum in Las Vegas...It was a perfect silver plastic with a nucleus and electrons!!!!!
Atomic_Testing_Museum-Atomic_Testing_Museum-3000000006618-500x375.jpg

It looks like the kit was redesigned since I built mine. Different nose cone for one thing. Fins and conduits go on the cone of the early kit. The biggest change I made to mine was to go with a single motor mount instead of the triple. So I fly the model on Aerotech 24mm E motors. Should the steel clip come loose, then I may friction-fit Estes E12s. An E12-4 in this instance.

Back