TLP Exocet MM40 - A Plan Pack Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mid fins are tacked on.
0801200552[1].jpg

Sidebar - While waiting for that to dry I started assembling the parts I received yesterday for a SPEV clone.
0801200550[1].jpg
Funny how a kit may receive little interest while it's in production, but after it's discontinued suddenly everybody wants one. Like the original Estes PS II models and TLP. Guess people want what they can't have.
TBC

Loves me some TLP stuff!!!!
Nosecone looking great as mentioned already.

Cut two long tunnels. Need to taper and contour them and glue to the airframe.
0806201335a[1].jpg

30 in. long. Good thing I have a 36" long balsa sheet.
Speaking of sheets,
0806201335[1].jpg
My sheet is splitting every which way along the grain. Climate here is not arid, if anything it is humid.
WTF?

Other fiddly bits cut include three antennas and two triangular thingamabobs.
Yes, that is the technical term for it. :D
0806201435[1].jpg
Also need to sand and glue these to the airframe.
TBC.

Tunnels, antennae, and triangles have been shaped, contoured and glued to the body.
0808200531[1].jpg
0808200532[1].jpg

Recovery gear is 24" plastic generi-chute, elastic shock cord and tri-fold cardstock mount.
(No pics, boring).
And typical of TLP plan packs and kits, no instructions on launch lug placement.
Use your judgment and experience for the 3/16" lug placement.

And assembly is complete.
0808200534[1].jpg

Finishing to be done whenevah.
Will post pic then.
Ciao.

Thanks Mugs, you're too kind.
I'm trying to wrap up my almost completed build threads before starting a new one.
Discipline, discipline.

What are people using to fill the seams on Nose Cones? I've had good luck with JB Weld - it's just a b*tch to sand, I've also used Squadron Products (white) and Tamiya Putty White. The Tamiya sanded off (400 grit) so I'm trying again with Squadron Products white. I have use thinned Wood Putty for spirals (and have used for nose cones). Just looking for suggestions - it's a LOC nose cone btw, not complaining just know that some nose cones are different materials.

What are people using to fill the seams on Nose Cones? I've had good luck with JB Weld - it's just a b*tch to sand, I've also used Squadron Products (white) and Tamiya Putty White. The Tamiya sanded off (400 grit) so I'm trying again with Squadron Products white. I have use thinned Wood Putty for spirals (and have used for nose cones). Just looking for suggestions - it's a LOC nose cone btw, not complaining just know that some nose cones are different materials.
I've heard other people mention using JB Weld wood putty/wood epoxy. I bought some, but haven't used it on a nose cone yet, I used to repair a balsa fin tho

on the Scimitar (https://www.the-launch-pad.com/blank-chkz) the middle set of fins are made by sandwiching 1/8" balsa, and the main part of the fin is a single "slice" of 1/8" balsa. 1/8" is so flimsy it naturally starts to curl, and I figured there's no way they would survive a single *soft* landing unless the rocket landed on its tail perfectly. I have yet to fly it I should add. So I got some 1/8" bass wood and sandwiched the main fins (above the strake-like bottom section) with the bass wood, cut to the same shape obviously. It was pretty painful honestly, but the fins are far sturdier now. I haven't compared the new CG to the CP yet, but I'm hoping the CG hasn't moved aft too much, esp since it's a "dually" cluster. Need to check what's likely to happen if only one motor lights.
This whole post was supposed to say 1/16", not.1/8"

3M Acryl green spot putty is what I use. It needs a good scuffing before or it will come off. The Bondo glazing putty works pretty well, also.

I've not had good luck with the water based putties on plastic nose cones, but I could be the problem, here.

I filled it and left it on the side. For a couple of years. 😁
I'll move it up to the front just for you, buds.
Pics in a couple of days.
FANTASTIC build there! 🙂👍
FWIW Be very careful of how you store and transport TLP rockets...I have an Indigo that I took to a launch lying down on it's side in a large box and the mid fins became splayed out. Took me months of slow adjusted pressure to get all of them back in position. One drawback of a lightly built rocket.
Also for my nose cone I recall using CA on the hat and CWF for filling and it came out pretty well (some slight rash from two flights).
IMG_20220630_171156167.jpg

Last edited:
Back