TLP build...Scimitar

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stones

Reaction score
Branching off from the thread, TLP Builds...
Here's my latest build, the TLP Scimitar. Modifications from stock include:
Basswood fins, 3 engine cluster (24mm), 8' shockchord, .005 shim stock in the tailcone.
The paint scheme is my own, as well as the decals.
A full shot...

A pic of the "ramjets"...
These are also made from basswwood. I felt the paper patterns from the kit would show to much "rippling" after finishing.

The "cluster" ...
The motor retention is a sleeve of aluminum tube that is tapped for an 8-32 screw and washer.

One more look from the aft end.
On to the next build. ;)

Beautiful bird, Stones! I really like your color choice...looks killer :cool:

Wow! I've always liked the looks of the Scimitar. Yours looks great!

I'm jealous!;) It's looking great though. I especially like the looks of the ramjet and the shimstock adds some cool looks too.:)

Great job! That is really finished nicely. Like everyone else I`m ready for some launch pics. :cool:

Winter might slow that event down.
I'll post pics the day of the launch. Not to worry. ;)

Ummm can I send you my kits, and you build them? It will really help sharpen your skills....I'm just trying to help you out ya know.

Will there be any issues with the "Krushnick effect" (sp??) with those motors that far in from the aft end of the airframe?

Originally posted by Fore Check
Will there be any issues with the "Krushnick effect" (sp??) with those motors that far in from the aft end of the airframe?
First time I've seen that phrase. Here's what a Google search came up with:

Krushnic Effect: A very dramatic phenomenon where your rocket makes a tremendous amount of noise and smoke but doesn't go anywhere! This happens when the motor is recessed into the body tube by more than one tube diameter. If so recessed, the cylindrical volume below the motor forms a secondary expansion chamber which allows the exhaust gasses to expand below atmospheric pressure before leaving the rocket. Surrounding air aspirated into the exhaust stream causes turbulence which negates much of the thrust, along with creating the characteristic roar. A multi-stage model that ejects its booster motor, but not the airframe, is a perfect example. Very damaging; it almost always destroys the lower body tube beyond use. Named for Richard Krushnic, the rocketeer who characterized the effect in the late '60s. Not to be confused with "Suction Lock" (q.v.).

The distance of the mmt from the aft end is what the kit calls for. Although, with a 2 cluster setup, vs. 3. I've a few other TLP builds that have this same configuration with no ill affects.

LOL! I thought he was making that word up ;) Thanks for putting the Goggle results in there. I left the tailcone off my Alarm. I didn't like the way it looked but I never thought of the Krushnic effect.

Now you's, you will not find in it I bet lol. A newengland slang
:rolleyes: I will have to start using it. :rolleyes:

I really love these TLP kits but they are almost impossible to get over here in the U.K. I have a HARPOON that has been repaired so many times that the bodytube is just about the only original part.

Latest posts

Back