Titan IIIe fair price ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwayne64

Reaction score
I didn't know where to post this. I'm wondering what's a fair price for an Estes Titan iiie kit. I know they are rare and don't show up much. I've seen them listed from $250 to $550 which I think is way high. Any thoughts, thanks,
Joe

I didn't know where to post this. I'm wondering what's a fair price for an Estes Titan iiie kit. I know they are rare and don't show up much. I've seen them listed from $250 to $550 which I think is way high. Any thoughts, thanks,
Joe
It is way high but.....there are too many collectors in this hobby who have money to waste/spend and are willing to spend $200+ on such a kit. As a builder not a collector I personally believe the prices are ridiculous, would I like to have a Titan IIIe kit, sure to build it and fly it not as an investment.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. Yea I think anything over $150 is just gouging. It is a rare kit and that's a factor. Some folks are just speculating to make a quick buck. And hey if that floats their boat, more power to them. Thanks again.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. Yea I think anything over $150 is just gouging. It is a rare kit and that's a factor. Some folks are just speculating to make a quick buck. And hey if that floats their boat, more power to them. Thanks again.
Actually $150 might be the lowest one of those has sold for in a long time.

Yea they're getting crazy. I have a maxi brute Honest John I want to sell eventually. Those things go for crazy Denaro too ; )

Last edited:
I simply can't afford things like that, and also refuse to pay the maximum top dollar greedy people ask for things. just scratch build one.

Yea I wanted to get a maxi brute Pershing but the price was too high. I wrote earlier I had the Hercules, but I have the Honest John. Brain fart lol.

I don’t quite understand how people think selling old bags of plastic and wood for 50x the original price even adjusted for inflation is legit. Those that do it are not truly part of the hobby, they’re in it for the money.

I don’t quite understand how people think selling old bags of plastic and wood for 50x the original price even adjusted for inflation is legit. Those that do it are not truly part of the hobby, they’re in it for the money.
While I would agree they're in it for money, there's an old saying that if someone is willing to pay a certain price, someone will sell it to them. Nobody forces them to buy anything. Unlike the Govt and insurance companies, LOL. If it were food or some other necessities of life I would be much more concerned about it. I've seen many expensive things I might like to have but couldn't afford them. I think they are gouging at a certain point, but part of the hobby is collecting. Have you seen the price of certain comics and GI Joes. Not disagreeing with you. Just been on the buying side for years, might sell a few things myself. If someone wants to pay me 400 dollars for my Estes Honest John, I won't complain. ; )

Ever seen what some baseball cards, stamps, or coins go for? There may be some overlap, but some folks are builders/flyers, and others are collectors.

On another note, is there a mod that can move this out of MMX? No offence to OP, but it doesn't belong here.

Yea I searched for info on where to post but couldn't find an answer. I thought I posted in Low power rockets, guess I clicked one space up, ; ) So please move it to appropriate place, thanks

Not truly part of the hobby?

Some people like to build.
Some people like to fly.
Some people like to collect.
Some people like to complain and judge others.

Which one are you?

I put stuff up for sale on eBay once in awhile. I've been part of this hobby for 52 frickin' years, continuously. TRULY. A LOT of people who have been in this hobby a long time do the same.

Some kits bring in great prices, others a bit disappointing. Am I "greedy?" Hell no, trying to make ends meet. People pay what they are willing to pay to outbid someone else, in order to get it, and this is what the value of the kit is. Nobody is forced to bid on anything.

Nobody is paying 50x what a kit is worth. They are paying EXACTLY what the kit is worth... to THEM.

And the people who ask outrageous amounts for kits.... usually they do not sell, because they asked an outrageous amount. So they either have to lower the price or never sell it. And the few who do pay the outrageous amount, well, that was their choice and, once again, that is exactly what the kit was worth... to THEM.

Too many of those who complain about the prices, sound like they want people to almost "give" the kits away cheap, rather than sell them for what they are actually worth.

Last edited:
I put stuff up for sale on eBay once in awhile. I've been part of this hobby for 52 frickin' years, continuously. TRULY. A LOT of people who have been in this hobby a long time do the same.

Some kits bring in great prices, others a bit disappointing. Am I "greedy?" Hell no, trying to make ends meet. People pay what they are willing to pay to outbid someone else, in order to get it, and this is what the value of the kit is. Nobody is forced to bid on anything.

Nobody is paying 50x what a kit is worth. They are paying EXACTLY what the kit is worth... to THEM.

And the people who ask outrageous amounts for kits.... usually they do not sell, because they asked an outrageous amount. So they either have to lower the price or never sell it. And the few who do pay the outrageous amount, well, that was their choice and, once again, that is exactly what the kit was worth... to THEM.

Too many of those who complain about the prices, sound like they want people to almost "give" the kits away cheap, rather than sell them for what they are actually worth.
I've been trying to find an original Estes Gemini Titan for probably 40+ years now.One came up on eBay a little while ago and it sold for almost five hundred dollars.I'd be willing to pay a good price for one but 500 is just exorbitant.This is from a fellow George who has also been in it for 52 years.You wouldn't happen to know where I might be able to find a GT, would you?I'm figuring that if anybody would know it might be you.

If I could afford one, I would not pay over $120 for one.
Before Estes sold to the current owners, and before my contact at Estes retired...
He told me they had in the works for a re-release of the Titian IIIE.
Since I don't have inside information anymore, I have no idea if a re-release is still planned.
But it would be in step for the new owners to re-release it based on what they have done so far.
It would be nice if someone had the plans to one if they would post it for those who would like to clone it.

BTW - right now on Rocketry Yard Sale - Buy, Sell, & Trade group on Facebook, a Titan-IIE is up for sale at $259.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/177...cently_seen&multi_permalinks=5279071602105435
I've been trying to find an original Estes Gemini Titan for probably 40+ years now.One came up on eBay a little while ago and it sold for almost five hundred dollars.I'd be willing to pay a good price for one but 500 is just exorbitant.This is from a fellow George who has also been in it for 52 years.You wouldn't happen to know where I might be able to find a GT, would you?I'm figuring that if anybody would know it might be you.

I don't. I do know that on YORF (Ye Olde Rocketry Forum), there is a guy who also very badly wants to get one. Seems it is the kind of kit that only comes up for sale only every few years. About the only way I could see you obtaining the real kit without spending a huge amount, would be if you had a very rare kit yourself,, and in finding such a person worked out a swap, which might also have to include a bit of $ too, or a second rare kit thrown in.

I'll tell you what I've told him. The plans are on JimZ's site. The balsa Gemini nose is made by BMS. It would be far cheaper to clone it, if you want to build and fly one. Trickiest thing would be re-creating the "body wrap", but for that matter that wrap was not nearly as good as using paint and decals.

http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/k-21.pdf
Ironically, I did have one, that I built in 1970 when I was in the hobby for 7 months or so. I did not have very good building skills, so it looked pretty crappy (especially the clear fins glued to the clear wrap). But did fly successfully on the 2 engine cluster. IIRC, I stored it on its side, which caused the clear plastic fins to warp. For a clone, or even building the original kit, I'd highly recommend Lexan for the fins, not the clear acetate or whatever that kit used.

At this point in my life, the only kit I'm willing to pay much money for is a kit I want to build badly enough, that it is not practical for me to clone. A kit that I would indeed build as soon as I could get around to building it. I'd never buy an old kit now and then let it sit in a closet (and do not have the opportunity to "display" old kits).

The only old kit I would sort of like to get hold of, is the old MPC MoonGo. Because that was one of my first models. I would certainly build it to fly at club launches.

Last edited:
Yea they're getting crazy. I have a maxi brute Honest John I want to sell eventually. Those things go for crazy Denaro too ; )
[/Q.
BTW - right now on Rocketry Buy, Sell, & Trade group on Facebook, a Titan-IIE is up for sale at $259.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/177...cently_seen&multi_permalinks=5279071602105435

I don't. I do know that on YORF (Ye Olde Rocketry Forum), there is a guy who also very badly wants to get one. Seems it is the kind of kit that only comes up for sale only every few years. About the only way I could see you obtaining the real kit without spending a huge amount, would be if you had a very rare kit yourself,, and in finding such a person worked out a swap, which might also have to include a bit of $ too, or a second rare kit thrown in.

I'll tell you what I've told him. The plans are on JimZ's site. The balsa Gemini nose is made by BMS. It would be far cheaper to clone it, if you want to build and fly one. Trickiest thing would be re-creating the "body wrap", but for that matter that wrap was not nearly as good as using paint and decals.

At this point in my life, the only kit I'm willing to pay much money for is a kit I want to build badly enough, that it is not practical for me to clone. A kit that I would indeed build as soon as I could get around to building it. I'd never buy an old kit now and then let it sit in a closet (and do not have the opportunity to "display" old kits).
Well, you see George we're in the same boat there, I'll only buy what I intend to fly.I'm the type who starts building a kit as soon as I get it, I'm not interested in keeping around a bunch of dust collectors.I'm looking for the older kits because I would like to revisit some of my own personal history, and for me being able to fly them again would be well worth the expense and building time.I know there's a few of them available out there, it's just a question of finding them.I'm actually looking forward to the search, wish me luck.

BTW - right now on Rocketry Yard Sale - Buy, Sell, & Trade group on Facebook, a Titan-IIE is up for sale at $259.

Ironically, I did have one, that I built in 1970 when I was in the hobby for 7 months or so. I did not have very good building skills, so it looked pretty crappy (especially the clear fins glued to the body). But did fly successfully on the 2 engine cluster. IIRC, I stored it on its side, which caused the clear plastic fins to warp. For a clone, or even building the original kit, I'd highly recommend Lexan for the fins, not the clear acetate or whatever that kit used. And a TTW method with the fin root having an extended tab to go inside, some small holes drilled into the tab for glue to anchor to, with the glue on the inside (careful rearranging of engine mount installation to allow doing that before adding the rear ring and mount tubes). That model's biggest benefit to me was finding out how hard it is to glue on clear fins, in a way that looks good and won't snap off very easily.

The only old kit I would sort of like to get hold of, is the old MPC MoonGo. Because that was one of my first models. I would certainly build it to fly at club launches.
That's funny because I've been looking for one of them too, but I've seen just about all of them except that one. I did see a MPC NIKE SMOKE on a site affiliated with eBay but the membership fee is way too expensive.I was always impressed with the quality of the MPC kits, they flew well and aged well also. Sure would like to get a hold of that NIKE though.

Well, you see George we're in the same boat there, I'll only buy what I intend to fly.I'm the type who starts building a kit as soon as I get it, I'm not interested in keeping around a bunch of dust collectors.I'm looking for the older kits because I would like to revisit some of my own personal history, and for me being able to fly them again would be well worth the expense and building time.I know there's a few of them available out there, it's just a question of finding them.I'm actually looking forward to the search, wish me luck.
I get it. And I do wish you luck.

By this point, while there are some out there, there's mostly two ways to "find" them. When an owner randomly decides to sell some kits as they need the money more than keeping/collecting them. Or, the former owner's family/friends sells them after the owner dies ("build pile" converted into Estate sale).

In theory, yes there is someone out there waiting for someone to ask them to sell them that GT-3 kit, and also willing to sell if for far less than what it is worth. Finding them is the big problem.

You could try asking on Ye Olde Rocketry Forum (YORF). But if there was anyone there willing to sell, you'd immediately have that other guy jumping in to try to buy it. Except IIRC he's said he'd never pay a lot to get one.

FWIW- for anyone who might want to clone, there is also this set of decal, Gemini Adapter, fin, and centering rings. Done by Kurt Schachner: https://www.rocketshoppe.com/decals/Gemini_Titan.pdf

BTW - 25 years ago or so, there was a guy (well known collector) who asked me about a certain old Centuri kit I had. They said they wanted it very badly, it personally meant a lot to them, they'd never sell it. So, I sold it to them directly, for a modest or even "cheap" price of around $30-40, rather than put it on eBay where it would have gotten a lot more. A few years later I found out that the SOB sold it for HUNDREDS of dollars. He lied to me. So, never again.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know that all two well, I lost two auctions on eBay with only a few seconds left to go and I was really steamed.So once bitten, twice shy.Probably won't do that again, unless something really attractive pops up. There's a few decently priced ones on there now, might be able to pick up a few nice deals however.

Thanks guys for all the replies. I always love to come here and hear from the folks. I wish we hadn't lost our field in Perry Ga. I used to get there 3 or 4 times a year. I would always learn so much when at a launch. I've been in the hobby for 50 + years. As a kid I would ask my Granddad for 5 or 10 bucks and walk the 1/2 mile to the Hobby Shop. I would come back and build it on the desk at the gas station my Granddad owned. I would always get impatient to fly, and would fly them up at the river where my grandparents lived. I lost everyone of them of course. I usually never even painted them. Probably a good thing, because I don't think the alligators appreciated a good color scheme. ; ) I miss those days, and my Grandparents.

I get it. And I do wish you luck.

By this point, while there are some out there, there's mostly two ways to "find" them. When an owner randomly decides to sell some kits as they need the money more than keeping/collecting them. Or, the former owner's family/friends sells them after the owner dies ("build pile" converted into Estate sale).

In theory, yes there is someone out there waiting for someone to ask them to sell them that GT-3 kit, and also willing to sell if for far less than what it is worth. Finding them is the big problem.

You could try asking on Ye Olde Rocketry Forum (YORF). But if there was anyone there willing to sell, you'd immediately have that other guy jumping in to try to buy it. Except IIRC he's said he'd never pay a lot to get one.

FWIW- for anyone who might want to clone, there is also this set of decal, Gemini Adapter, fin, and centering rings. Done by Kurt Schachner: https://www.rocketshoppe.com/decals/Gemini_Titan.pdf

BTW - 25 years ago or so, there was a guy (well known collector) who asked me about a certain old Centuri kit I had. They said they wanted it very badly, it personally meant a lot to them, they'd never sell it. So, I sold it to them directly, for a modest or even "cheap" price of around $30-40, rather than put it on eBay where it would have gotten a lot more. A few years later I found out that the SOB sold it for HUNDREDS of dollars. He lied to me. So, never again.
Have you checked eBay lately?Right now on there there's a small scale Estes Little Joe ll listing for $699.00. Wow.I'm not in the market for that one but even if I was I would never pay that much for any rocket.I think that if it was a high power version it might be justifiable but not for something like this.

Have you checked eBay lately?Right now on there there's a small scale Estes Little Joe ll listing for $699.00. Wow.I'm not in the market for that one but even if I was I would never pay that much for any rocket.I think that if it was a high power version it might be justifiable but not for something like this.
Two things. That 1/70 model *is* quite a rare kit. For example it is defintely worth more than the recent 1/45th scale kit that goes for $100 or more now. Even though that old kit really sucks as far as a scale model, and needing to build the tower out of little pieces of dowels and such. It is a collector type of kit, if anyone ever does buy it, they'd be almost nuts to build it, or have plenty of cash to do whatever they want. Is it worth $699? I do not think so. I do not think it will sell. Then the seller will have to decide whether to keep it or lower the price, or actually put it up for auction with a reasonable minimum bid.

BUT, the thing is that some LIST ridiculous prices that nobody in their right mind is going to pay. I have heard some speculation that this is done to "save a spot" for their listings, I mean, it is often done for things that are still manufactured and not really a collector's item.

When I do auctions, I set a minimum bid, that usually is not very high, and hopefully several people will want it and bit it up high.

Check the sell history for kits like that ("Completed auctions" option in the advanced search options). That way you can see the ranges of prices people have been paying for such a kit. The crazy-high [priced kits won't be on that list, only the ones that actually sold.

So, don't over-react and whine over crazy "buy it now" prices on ebay. Most of those are SUCKER listings, or the seller is not really expecting to sell it that price, for whatever reason.

The kits that actually *DO* sell, whether a buy it now, or an auction where two bidders bid it up that high, that is exactly what the kit is worth.

In the end, it is the *BUYERS* that determine the price. Because the truly overpriced "buy it now" or overpriced minimum bid kits will NOT sell, and the sellers have to reduce the price to try to sell it again, or never sell it.

An item for sale, is only WORTH what someone is willing to pay.

So, please start looking at the "completed auctions" to find the real value, before whining about what some sellers are ASKING. The completed auctions only goes as far back as a year, maybe 6 months, so in that case for a really rare kit that does not come up often, it likely won't be there. But if it is that rare, then....... of course it's gonna sell for a lot, unless the seller set too high a price or minimum bid.

Back