Titan III E 6/7 Scale 1/54

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Starting to build the rocket that launched Voyager 1 and 2. Titan III E. Didn't have a tube to fit the size required for the satellite fairing so I cut down a tube I had from an old Saturn V, sliced it lengthwise and down sized the diameter to 78mm OS. Constructed the nose cone transitions from cardstock and ran them around a BT 20 tube along with centering rings at the changes in angle of the nose cone. The top rounded portion of the nose cone is a 20mm round wooden ball. All interior card board is cut from tissue paper boxes. Centering rings are made from Premium Crackers boxes. Cardstock transitions have an extra layer of cardstock glued to the inside of the cones for added strength. They are glued on in sections to ensure good contact with the exterior cone.
I'm modifying an OR file from a Titan III C to design the new model. Presently it's showing a weight of 466 grams without a motor and a stability caliber of 1.61
IMG_3023.JPGIMG_2944.JPGIMG_2961.JPGIMG_2964.JPGIMG_3015.JPGIMG_3021.JPG

The question I've got here is can I fly this on a 24mm Aerotech E30-4 and or F44-4.Max lift off weight on the package specifies only 454 grams and I'm assuming this includes the weight of the motor. The weight of this rocket with this motor is 509 grams. OR flight simulation shows an apogee of 145meters (475') and a velocity of 12.8m/s (42ft/sec) of the rod. I'm using a 3/16" rod 6' long of which 5' is used by the rocket. So OR says it works.

I may have to upsize my motor mount to 29mm for a greater motor lifting capacity. I can always insert a 24mm conversion kit. The problem there is I can't get a 29 mm motor mount tube from my local hobby shop and will have to order it in. The tube would cost 3.20 and the shipping is 25.00.😒😒😒

Installed the lower fairing transition to the sustainer. Completed the two nose cones for the SRBs and cut the centering rings for the fin tubes which will go inside the SRBs. Cut the lower off center tube for each SRB from a caulking tube. Transitions are two layers of cardstock secured with Canopy glue and hardened with thin CA.image.jpgimage.jpg

Awesome build. Looking forward to more updates.
  • Have you run a simulation for this?
  • Nice drawing, is it your creation?
  • Are you planning a multi engine set-up?
1661206606856.png

Awesome build. Looking forward to more updates.
  • Have you run a simulation for this?
  • Nice drawing, is it your creation?
  • Are you planning a multi engine set-up?
View attachment 533745
That is one of the images I’m using to make the wraps for the model. I design all my scratch builds on AutoCAD, then start making the parts and weigh each. I then enter them into OR and run simulations. This one is going to be on the heavy side over 500 grams so an E30 or an F44 24 mm might not do the trick. Simulations show a bit of a slow lift off velocity so I may have to upgrade to a 29mm motor mount. Will install this last when my final rocket weight is more accurate.

That is one of the images I’m using to make the wraps for the model. I design all my scratch builds on AutoCAD, then start making the parts and weigh each. I then enter them into OR and run simulations. This one is going to be on the heavy side over 500 grams so an E30 or an F44 24 mm might not do the trick. Simulations show a bit of a slow lift off velocity so I may have to upgrade to a 29mm motor mount. Will install this last when my final rocket weight is more accurate.
Maybe a D12 motor in the center, and a D or C motor in each SRB?

Now there’s an idea. I’d have to rework how I attach my fins though to get motors into the SRBs. That would be a major redesign and I’ve already got the fin tube rings in-place so it’s a done deal on this one. I’ll try this though for the Dealt IV Heavy I’m planning for my next scratch build.image.jpg

Geez. I just finished my wraps for the Boyce Gemini Titan builder kit and THOSE were hair-raising. I can only imagine how much pressure was on for doing this. At least with the Boyce stuff I could reposition it if I acted fast.

👍 just flew my Gemini Titan 1/54 scale on the 29th on D12-5 and an E30-4. video posted in that thread.
What scale is your Boyce model?
1/46 scale using BT-80 tubes. Don't want to derail your amazing thread but here's a single picture before the cable raceways got added...

Attachments

• 20220910_155737.jpg
    20220910_155737.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Awesome. Been wanting to do a Titan IVB for a while but have been putting it off to develop my skillset on some smaller rockets.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Awesome. Been wanting to do a Titan IVB for a while but have been putting it off to develop my skillset on some smaller rockets.
Thanks for the inspiration!
I enjoy building scale models. I have scratch built a Titan III C, Titan III C MOL, and Gemini Titan all based on BT 70 tubes. I find building the nose cones, centring rings, and wraps the most challenging and satisfying when it works out. The icing comes when they fly! Glad to inspire.....go for it.

Looks great, hope you are going for some clear fins and not duck feet:) Also, F-32 should boost fine at 454 grams...with 24mm

Looks great, hope you are going for some clear fins and not duck feet:) Also, F-32 should boost fine at 454 grams...with 24mm
Clear fins all the way. This model however looks to be coming in at around 590 grams. Will be installing a 29 mm motor mount just in case and can always downsize to 24 mm with an insert.

Clear fins all the way. This model however looks to be coming in at around 590 grams. Will be installing a 29 mm motor mount just in case and can always downsize to 24 mm with an insert.
Good call. I just looked up the sleeve to make sure it would hold the longer "E" 24mm motors as well. I may do the same with my SLS. I was going to go with 29mm mount in the sustainer and 24mm in the boosters, but might be easier to just use 29mm mounts all the way.

Good call. I just looked up the sleeve to make sure it would hold the longer "E" 24mm motors as well. I may do the same with my SLS. I was going to go with 29mm mount in the sustainer and 24mm in the boosters, but might be easier to just use 29mm mounts all the way.
I’m also planning an SLS build but haven’t decided on the sustainer tube size just yet. BT 70 or BT-80. Sounds like your planning to put motors in the SRBs also. Would love to see a build thread on yours.

Completed installing a thrust ring inside the 29mm motor tube so it can use an Estes E16-4 besides the Aerotech composites. I’m installing a 12” long motor mount tube to down size the volume that needs to be pressurized by the ejection charge. I cut this tube in half to facilitate glueing the motor mount into the center core which I also cut down to 150mm length. Will install couplers on both short lengths to bring them back to the size required. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I may have to upsize my motor mount to 29mm for a greater motor lifting capacity. I can always insert a 24mm conversion kit. The problem there is I can't get a 29 mm motor mount tube from my local hobby shop and will have to order it in. The tube would cost 3.20 and the shipping is 25.00.😒😒😒
I would upsize the MMT for one simple reason: it seems that there are only one or two 24 mm motors that stand a chance of lifting this, so you've got no real options. Going up to 29 mm will give you lots of options to play with.

Have you got any BT-55, or can you get it locally? You might be able to downsize some of that to 29 mm the same way you did for the payload faring. I'd downsize another piece to be a sleeve over that one and make sure the seams are opposite one another. Then, of course, you need custom centering rings.

Or just order a bunch of stuff along with the 29 mm MMT so the $25 shipping feels justified.

I would upsize the MMT for one simple reason: it seems that there are only one or two 24 mm motors that stand a chance of lifting this, so you've got no real options. Going up to 29 mm will give you lots of options to play with.

Have you got any BT-55, or can you get it locally? You might be able to downsize some of that to 29 mm the same way you did for the payload faring. I'd downsize another piece to be a sleeve over that one and make sure the seams are opposite one another. Then, of course, you need custom centering rings.

Or just order a bunch of stuff along with the 29 mm MMT so the $25 shipping feels justified.
Hi Joe
I did install a 29mm motor mount in a 12" length. Ordered three tubes this size along with a bunch of other stuff so the shipping didn't hurt at all.
Just completed gluing on the SRBs.
IMG_3219.jpg

Have ordered 29mm motor tube. In the mean time completed the filling of spiral groves on the SRBs and spray painted them. Drew up the wraps for the sustainer and the voyager clamshell housing and gave them a test fit. Need to make a few minor adjustments to the wraps and then print then on cardstock.
I was going to suggest cutting down a larger tube to fit a 29mm motor. Add a wrap of cardstock or a wrap of fiberglass/epoxy to strengthen it. You could pull it off on that motor range.

Back