Titan III C MOL scale 1/54

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow! what could have been... stuff of dreams. now build an X20 on Titan to service the MOL.

The Dr. Zooch shuttle orbiter uses a combination of balsa and cardstock, if you have ever seen how that was done, it can be a useful method for making an X20 glider as well that is light enough to actually glide. You might be able to find a paper model and reinforce it with some balsa or extra layers of cardstock.

https://papermau.blogspot.com/2011/08/boeing-x-20-dyna-soar-by-takumi-nasa.html?m=1
Did you make the cardstock templates here yourself or did you find a pattern for these from a paper modeling site somewhere?

Last edited:
The Dr. Zooch shuttle orbiter uses a combination of balsa and cardstock, if you have ever seen how that was done, it can be a useful method for making an X20 glider as well that is light enough to actually glide.

Did you make the cardstock templates here yourself or did you find a pattern for these from a paper modeling site somewhere?
I’ve never seen the Dr. Zooch reference you mention. Is there a link?
The MOL transitions were made using the formulas in Peter Always book.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 20
I’ve never seen the Dr. Zooch reference you mention. Is there a link?
The MOL transitions were made using the formulas in Peter Always book.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/dr-zooch-return-to-flight-space-shuttle-build-thread-2.1207/

dsc_6062-jpg.186564

Last edited:
I’ve launched most of them at least once. The Titan IIIC in the background was launched twice this fall and both times went unstable. It went high enough that the chutes came out in time to avoid any damage. Broke one plastic fin on the second attempt and had to replace the fin tube in the solid booster. Am adding 20 grams of wt to the top end to move the CG forward for a stability of approximately 2.3 in OR. Will try again ......third time lucky?

For the main body tube wraps, did you draw those yourself or find an existing pattern to work from?
I used paper model drawings as a reference from papercraftsquare.com and historicspacecraft.com.
I redrew the drawings in auto cad and upscale them to 1/54. Printed them on Astrobrights Metallic casdstock chalice silver and white gold.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 13030456-742F-4F4D-9533-8FA33A0DFA0F.jpeg
    13030456-742F-4F4D-9533-8FA33A0DFA0F.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 90AFACE1-FBDB-4907-9072-2C36DA34C500.jpeg
    90AFACE1-FBDB-4907-9072-2C36DA34C500.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Secured the electrical conduits to the main frame tube and the boosters using 1/2 round polystyrene .125”(3.2mm) plastic strips by Evergreen scale models. Used 3M doubled sided tape to secure these to the tubes. Have just glued the first booster to the main frame using RC Modellers Canopy Glue. Also added the Air Force insignia to the main frame and used a pencil crayon tan colour for the brown areas on the main frame.

Attachments

• 0BFF03A6-66CF-4335-89DA-CF450F921D12.jpeg
    0BFF03A6-66CF-4335-89DA-CF450F921D12.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 18
Completed securing the solid boosters and added the catalyst tubes and separation rockets to the bottom of the boosters. Added an interior ring of cardboard with a X of wood 225mm down from the separation line to prevent the 33” chute from sliding down to the engine mount on lift off. Have added an interior tube to the Gemini capsule to which I can add or subtract weight. This required cutting the top off and providing another tie line to secure the nose to the top part of the rocket. Total height on the fin tubes is 38” Total weight without an engine 385 gm.without any weight added to the capsule. Will add 20gm for the first flight on an Aerotech E30-4. This will not happen till spring as we are freezing our a.... off here at -30 C.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 17
Finally got to launch the rocket yesterday. Model wt is 385.86 grams without the motor.
Stands 38.125” tall, 30” parachute.
Wind was 8km SSE. Model was launched at a slight angle using an Aerotech E30-4
Flight was successfull. No damage on landing.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    21.3 MB
Back