Tis the season

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissileDaughter

Reaction score
I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. ~Charles Dickens
Wow, it feels different being the first people in the city to be ready for the Christmas season. At least, we don't have the Christmas trees up inside. Once mom puts those up, I ought to take some pictures to share with you guys.
Granted, these are not the best pictures. But, it is cold outside (notice my breath in the first picture). It is time to cozy up with a good book and a mug of hot chocolate.
u7aQQY1P5quY2To6.jpg

LRmvvLXVbcMH4e3Y.jpg

2lNnvHJjJ088bKdS.jpg

Originally posted by jcrocket
Should I feel bad about wearing my short sleeved uniform and shorts to my cubscout meeting this evening?

Joel.

Yes.

Originally posted by Loopy
Yikes!!! It's not even Thanksgiving yet!!!
Agreed! I won't allow my wife to play Christmas music before Thanksgiving. We decorate for Christmas and put up our tree the day after Thanksgiving.

Originally posted by jcrocket
Should I feel bad about wearing my short sleeved uniform and shorts to my cubscout meeting this evening?

Joel.

NO WAY! Much to the chagrin of my wife who hates it when I say this, I will readily admit that there's nothing better than wearing t-shirt & shorts on Christmas day here in Florida. Ever. :D

Originally posted by cmmeyers
Agreed! I won't allow my wife to play Christmas music before Thanksgiving. We decorate for Christmas and put up our tree the day after Thanksgiving.

Same in our house...usually. Last year, however, the tree never went up until the week before Christmas. This year, the tree is already up. My wife wanted it up so she could decorate it while I was out of town last week.

Originally posted by gothique_97
Same in our house...usually. Last year, however, the tree never went up until the week before Christmas. This year, the tree is already up. My wife wanted it up so she could decorate it while I was out of town last week.

<rant>
ONE HOLIDAY AT A TIME. PLEASE.

I hate that the Christmas stuff was out in stores before Halloween. Halloween stuff shouldn't be for sale until the beginning of October. Thanksgiving related items shouldn't be available until the day after Halloween. And for the love of God, Christmas related items/events/music should not be heard until the day after Thanksgiving. There is no excuse.

Thank you.
</rant>

Originally posted by lalligood
And for the love of God, Christmas related items/events/music should not be heard until the day after Thanksgiving.

A couple of years ago, I remarked to someone that it ought to be a law that you can't sell Christmas merchandise until after the first frost.

<rant>
Christmas related items/events/music should not be heard until the day after Thanksgiving. There is no excuse.

</rant>

I have to agree 100%. I hate seeing Christmas stuff up in the beginning of November. It takes away from Thanksgiving, which is my favorite holiday. Christmas has become too commercialized.......

<rant>
ONE HOLIDAY AT A TIME. PLEASE.

I hate that the Christmas stuff was out in stores before Halloween. Halloween stuff shouldn't be for sale until the beginning of October. Thanksgiving related items shouldn't be available until the day after Halloween. And for the love of God, Christmas related items/events/music should not be heard until the day after Thanksgiving. There is no excuse.

Thank you.
</rant>
[/QUOTE

Only to have the majority of it bought at 1/2 price the day after the holiday.

The shop I work in has been selling Christmas stuff since the middle of September! :)

HAHA! The radio station that I have been listening to lately has been playing Christmas songs as a holiday "preview" and they were just going to do it for the weekend...well I turned on my radio and sure enough, they are going to continue it because of the good feedback! I do not mind though, I love Christmas songs!:D

Originally posted by cmmeyers
Agreed! I won't allow my wife to play Christmas music before Thanksgiving.

We had a radio station that went from 80's and 90's rock to Christmas music. If thats not bad enough, the started playing it halloween night and ended the 15th of Febuary. Somebodies ratings went down.

What is it about this year that seems to drive everybody to start Christmas before Halloween? It used to be that the day after Thanksgiving was the traditional first Christmas shopping day.
What happened?
My first gut reaction was 'Oh no - this is ridiculous!' My family has always waited until after Thanksgiving before getting a tree, or putting up lights, etc. I will this year, too.
But on the other hand, I don't think I resent others starting early as much as I used to. After all, the whole holiday season has always been my favorite time of the year (even though we have to drive an hour to play in the snow) - what's so bad about getting it started a little early? As long as it doesn't take away from Thanksgiving, I can handle it.

S..

My neigbor hasn't taken her "Halloween" lights down yet...

Yes she has Halloween lights!

What is it about this year that seems to drive everybody to start Christmas before Halloween?

From what I'm hearing lots of retailers are anticipating a dreadful Christmas. Maybe the early start is a bid to make it a little better.

As for me, I'm trying to do my part to make it a cheery season for rocket vendors everywhere.:D

. . I *might* have all the decorations up before Christmas. Gotta mow the yard one more time before putting out all the candy canes.

Actually, I spent this last weekend cleaning the garage, trying to create enough space to begin hauling the wife's boxes of Christmas decorations down from the attic.
It will take a week just to set up her miniature village (i.e., connect all the wires so all the little houses light up, but keep them hidden underneath the base). Last year we hid a dinosaur in the middle of the village to see if anyone was really looking closely at it. The dinosaur was the same green color as the little trees. Only one person found it.

Back