Tired of not being able to resize pics?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

solrules

Reaction score
Tired of TRF saying that your attachment is too large? Don't have access to an image resizer?

No more worries! I made this PHP script that will automatically upload your pictures from your computer, resize/compress them, and let you use them directly in your posts!!!

Took me about 4 hours of programming (most of it was figuring out how to get variables from HTML form....arrrggghhhh), and I offer it to you all as a free service. Once again,

https://www.amberwesterman.com/sol/test2/trf.html

solrules

Reaction score
Example:

This is a picture I took at LDRS 23. The filesize is around 1MB, way too much to post on TRF. Shown below is the TRF 'optomized' image (shrunk and compressed) directly from my site. It is a literal copy and paste right into the textarea.

GL-P

Reaction score
Thanks! Smart idea! The few pics I've posted are just way too big and I end up dropping off quality and do a whole lot of cropping. Thanks!

sandman

Reaction score
I am probably THE most computer illiterate person on this forum.

I copy my pics into Microsoft Paint go to the "image" pull down and on "stretch/skew just type in like 80 or 90% on vertical and horizontal and then "save as" a jpeg.

Always seems to work just fine!

sandman

solrules

Reaction score
Originally posted by sandman

I copy my pics into Microsoft Paint go to the "image" pull down and on "stretch/skew just type in like 80 or 90% on vertical and horizontal and then "save as" a jpeg.

Badda Bing Badda Boom!

sandman
Yup. You can do that too. However, mine compresses the image 80% be default, so the end user has to download a little less. I also host the image on my server. This allows you to insert *multiple* images directly into your post.

I made it mostly for my personal use (I have a different interface that I use) to upload and autoresize/compress for pic storage. Just a tool I thought some could use (I'm not sure what Macintrash's have to offer :))

Ryan S.

Reaction score
lemme try....

wow this is really really cool

DynaSoar

Reaction score
Originally posted by sandman

Badda Bing Badda Boom!

sandman
I may have been cranking out 6502 assembly code before 1980, but when it comes to graphics I'm not much beyond you.

Only very recently I learned to open a huge drugstore Kodak created digital pic of a couple hundred K, rotate it top up, border the section I wanted, copy it from there and paste it into a blank Powerpoint slide. From there I can resize it on the slide, or combine several pics on one slide, and save it as a JPG much smaller with all the detail.

GlennW

Reaction score
Wow this thing is great, I used it for my avatar after having zero luck and just about giving up trying other things.

Thanks so much!

Glenn

Karl

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Testing small

Karl

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Seems to be that Amberwestermans site is down, and all of the images that have been uploaded using the resizer have gone with it too :(
Karl

Crazyrocket

Reaction score
I cannot see any of the pictures in the above postings. Is there a setting I need to check? I have the show pictures option to on. I thought it used to work. Any ideas? Does not work in IE or with firefox. Thanks.

adrian

Reaction score
Testing:

Yes, that seems to have worked. The original is 1200x1600, I told the program to resize it to 480x640, and that is indeed the size of the picture included above.

Thanks, solrules! :)

BigNewtons

Reaction score
What about when solrules' site goes down / away, or when solrules needs to clear out some space? All those pretty pictures will be gone...

Would the TRF site host be willing to host sol's script (modified to store images on TRF, assuming it's also okay with sol) so that it's available when someone wants to upload an image?

Karl

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That would be very helpfull, if TRF had a 'backup' of sol's script! No harm in preparing ;)