Tips for recovering rocket from high tree?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
My Estes Mammoth had the misfortune of landing high in a tree yesterday, I'm going back tomorrow to get it down. Anyone have a good tip or trick to share?

In the past, I've used a long pole with a hook, and have used a slingshot with a rock tied to the end of a rope. I'm bringing these same tools tomorrow, although this rocket seems a bit higher up than the others I have recovered from trees. The parachute seems likely to be damaged.

Thanks for any thoughts,
Bill
Mammoth in tree close.jpg Mammoth in tree distant.jpg

I usually just used safety glasses and fishing line with a wooden weight on the end. I wouldn't recommend trying to use a ladder. Good luck!

I've had a Mammoth chute with a JLCR attached to it in a tree for about three years now ^_^

A bow and arrows with fishing line attached would possibly be simpler.
Assuming the tree is too high to use a rock or weight tied to a string or rope.
Of course, clear the area when shooting arrows.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. This is a public park, I'll have to do without saws and guns.

https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes/mammoth_pro.htm

New rocket, $32 plus shipping, costs of adhesives and paint, and your time in building. You don’t mention any avionics.

Vs

costs (personal, medical, legal) of injury to yourself or someone else climbing a ladder or other tree climbing maneuver

Unless you can afford to hire a “Cherry Picker” , I’d go with a brand new rocket.

Stay safe!

Glad you got it back!!!
Another option to consider, if you ever find yourself in a similar predicament, :cool:
for the small price of $250.00 a day (minimum 4 days),:cool:
with a per diem of $125.00 a day (minimum 4 days),:cool:
plus travel distance of $1.00 per mile (minimum 500 miles),:cool:
I promise I will get your rocket recovered (in ANY condition),:cool:
OR I will refund you up to $200.00 if you pay me first (CASH),:cool:
I aim to please (OR CHANGE CAREERS!!!):cool:

Seriously!!! Nice recovery!!!
And Many More!!!

SS

I had a PML Tethys about 50 ft in a tree at the edge of a woods. I used a half dozen 1-1/2" PVC pipes, coupled together with duct tape around coupler+ a 3ft 1x1 wooden piece taped around the coupler to keep the joint from flexing too much. The key is the top: a 10ft long 1/4" rod bent into a giant upside down U hook. You get the pipe close enough to the rocket and spin the pipe--the hook grabs the rocket. Keep spinning to tangle the rocket on the hook, then start bringing it down. How do you get it up there? Slink it through forks in the tree, so they help support it. Took awhile, but I got it.

I had a PML Tethys about 50 ft in a tree at the edge of a woods. I used a half dozen 1-1/2" PVC pipes, coupled together with duct tape around coupler+ a 3ft 1x1 wooden piece taped around the coupler to keep the joint from flexing too much. The key is the top: a 10ft long 1/4" rod bent into a giant upside down U hook. You get the pipe close enough to the rocket and spin the pipe--the hook grabs the rocket. Keep spinning to tangle the rocket on the hook, then start bringing it down. How do you get it up there? Slink it through forks in the tree, so they help support it. Took awhile, but I got it.
Older thread but just wanted to say thank you for posting this. I recovered a rocket from about 35 ft up in a tree using this method. It took me about 10 minutes to get it down once I had the pipes assembled. I used three 10 ft sections of 1" PVC pipe. Thanks again for sharing!!

Back