Tiny Towers for Micros to BT-50's

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my latest attempt at a easily adjustable tower launcher that will handle micro models from minimium diameter .281" bodies to Clustered micros up to BT-50.

As always this tower had to compliment my Tripod rod type launcher base and allow quick changes from Rod, Tower, Pistion and/or relay add-on.
My first attemp was with fixed .049" stainless rods in 4 differnent 2" acrylic discs to handle the various size bodies. This proved to work OK but painted models or slightly off size tubes seemed to bind between the rods. Attempt two was to bend Z's in the same Rods to help adjust of those oversize models. very aggravating to adjust...Back to the drawing board.

These two 3" ID. 3.5" OD Clear PETG tubes are cut 4" long with 4/40 x 1-3/4" adjustment machine screws set 3-3/4" apart. Rails are .235" x .300" x .050" wall clear Lexan channels each cut 12" long. Each adjustment screw has a .24"dia. x 1" stainless steel compression spring a couple spacers until the longer 1.5 Stainless springs come in and nickel plated brass 4/40 thumb nuts. Adjustments are fairly quick and eliminate the oversize or Odd size body problems of the earlier towers. Due to fin space concerns two towers were fashioned instead of combining 6 rails in one. Both the 3 fin and 4 fin units are mounted on a single 3/16" stainless steel rod that fit's nicely into the reciever base of the Micro Piston launcher mount.
After Saturdays Launch and a couple more I flew this morning I'm very pleased with how this unit is working. As I mentioned I'm still waiting for same slightly longer Stainless steel compression springs and longer 4/40 1-3/4" long Stainless machine screws to come in which will eliminate the need for the spacer nuts seen in the photos. For Micro flyers out there It was a very enjoyable build with mostly woodworking tools. I think the hardest part was drilling the mounting holes in the 8" long piece of 3/16" stainless steel support rod;)
One of the things I'm really happy about, by using clear materials you can actually see what's in this tower before it's launched:D

Latest posts

Back