Timer Staging Discussion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.16 deaths per 100 million vehicle miles traveled. Don't know to convert exposures.

Perhaps think of a flight like a trip in a car? Average car trip is ~9.4 miles, so that's around 1.1 deaths per 10 million trips.

A wise man once told me, "Convince a person against their will, and they will fight you still."

eJy3b.jpg

They must have used a simple timer on this project. I bet a timer with tilt inhibits would have prevented this.

That is correct. However, lockouts can prevent an ignition due to a non-optimal condition, while a straight timer can not.

Fully concur.

I'm somewhat familiar with your line but not as much as I'd like (I solder like a caveman), do any egg products have tilt inhibits, altitude lock outs, or spin/yaw detection? Im always looking for new ways to stage.

Fully concur.

I'm somewhat familiar with your line but not as much as I'd like (I solder like a caveman), do any egg products have tilt inhibits, altitude lock outs, or spin/yaw detection? Im always looking for new ways to stage.
In the spirit of this thread I'm keeping it vendor-agnostic... please email me at [email protected] if you have specific questions about our product line.

after reading all 337 post, I have one question what would be the recommended electronics for staging?

after reading all 337 post, I have one question what would be the recommended electronics for staging?

Eggtime Proton has a tilt function but is new so there aren't too many people using them yet. That's what will be in my 2-stage that flies in May.

The least expensive option I know of that can do altitude lockout for staging is the Missileworks RRC3.

Raven and MARSA (without the tilt gadget) can do various types of altitude and velocity lockout. As can Eggtimer Proton.

MARSA with tilt gadget and Altus Metrum Telemega can do full tilt-based lockout. The MARSA is pretty new, I don't have any flight experience with mine yet.

The Proton is an interesting case, it can do some kind of barometric/accel based lockout which is somewhere between actual tilt sensing and simpler lockout schemes.

I use Eggtimer Quantums in my two stage rockets for sustainer ignition primarily because of the ability to arm them remotely. I have two sleds set up, one for 54mm with 2 Quantums and another for 38mm with a single Quantum and a Raven 3.

Although it takes a little work to figure out the altitude and velocity set points I can say that they do work. I have had two off nominal flights, both booster motor CATOs, that if the sustainer would have lit would have been quite scary. In both cases the lockouts prevented sustainer ignition. A tilt sensor would be a nice feature to have but with an accurate sim I find the alt/vel lockouts can be just as secure and I would never personally fly a two stage without using them.

Maybe we could just add one of those magic RED buttons to multi-stage flights that totally explodes the rocket if things get wonky!! That's how NASA gets around the 14 hard testing steps outlined above. And it would be cool!
But I like the self destruct button! [emoji3]
Now, the only obstacle is getting the "government" to allow the use of C4 in HPR rockets, as a "Safety Feature" . . .

Dave F.

Back