Timeless TV Show and Wernher Von Braun

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketGeekInFL

Reaction score
Has anyone caught this new TV show Timeless?

They had an episode where they went back in time to Germany during the war and the antagonist (perhaps) was trying to disrupt the timeline by turning Von Braun over to the Soviets instead of the allies. It is an interesting concept for a show. A what if, type scenario, similar to Man In High Castle.

I was just imagining how different the world would be today if one man had gone to the Soviet block instead of the USA.

Go NASA!!

My wife and I have been watching the show. Pretty good overall in my opinion.

I think you open up a huge can of worms when you do the time travel thing, but at least they do show that traveling in time does have an impact on history. My big question is, why doesn't history change immediately when the bad guys go back in time? How do the good guys get to track them into the past, go back and try to stop them, and only when they come back to the present does history change in the present? Shouldn't the changes be instantaneous in the present once the bad guys go back in time???

My wife and I have been watching the show. Pretty good overall in my opinion.

My big question is, why doesn't history change immediately when the bad guys go back in time? How do the good guys get to track them into the past, go back and try to stop them, and only when they come back to the present does history change in the present? Shouldn't the changes be instantaneous in the present once the bad guys go back in time???

It's and "infinite earth" or "infinite possibility" conundrum. The timeline where you are now is unchanged because, whatever happened, must have happened the way that you always knew that it did, therefore, nothing the time travelers did changed anything... in your timeline. However, once you've gone back in time, any changes that you make, render it impossible for you to return to your "original" timeline because of the changes that you made. Time travel creates infinite paradoxes (or is it paradoxi?).

I also enjoy and look forward to the show. I also liked Quantum Leap in the early 1990s.
Every week is a new adventure, never the same story, sets or costumes.

I did notice the V2 seemed a little scaled down tho -
Moot point, smaller props and forced perspective is done all the time in TV and movies.

Back in 80's the original Battlestar Galactica tv series showed a colonial villain going back in Earth's time to the V2 experimentation days and trying to accelerate the rocketry development progress so that the world's spaceflight capability would be advanced enough to defeat the Cylons when they found and attacked Earth fifty years later. The show jumped the shark with that episode which might have been the last one shown.

Back in 80's the original Battlestar Galactica tv series showed a colonial villain going back in Earth's time to the V2 experimentation days and trying to accelerate the rocketry development progress so that the world's spaceflight capability would be advanced enough to defeat the Cylons when they found and attacked Earth fifty years later. The show jumped the shark with that episode which might have been the last one shown.

"Galactica 1980" - that whole mess of a season or "Tweakboot" , where they found Earth years later but Starbuck, Apollo, and key others were gone/missing//dead, and "Boxy" grown up to be a Viper pilot, and Adama was a lot older with a beard, was a jumped shark.

Ugh...why'd you have to bring that up....

showposter.jpg

Galactica_Turbo_Cycles.jpg

300px-Soldiers.jpg

Back