Time to Break the Record

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
Remember the "Most Users Even Online" thread from last month?

Here's what I suggested as a time to try to break that record (61) as well as EMRR's (64):

Originally posted by DynaSoar
Here's a time to shoot for, and a good reason for it:

July 20, 10:56:15 PM EDT

35 years to the second from Armstrong's "one small step".

That'd also give us time to enlist new members.

I just checked: the presidents of most NAR chapters are listed in the NAR chapter list with email links on their names. We could enlist help with a membership drive.

That's 5 days from now, on a Tuesday, post dinner time all across the US (sorry, Brits, it's early AM for you). Shall we go for it?

Unless someone suggests otherwise or the powers that be feel their bandwidth will take too great a hit, I'll post to r.m.r to drum up some activity.

(sorry, Brits, it's early AM for you). Shall we go for it?
I say yep! :D

I can set the alarm & get up - it sounds like it could be a laugh.

Shall we all meet in the chatroom, at the same time?

I'm in! If some people have a problem with getting on at the right time, why don't you all just leave your web browser on rocketryforum.com?

I'm in! If some people have a problem with getting on at the right time, why don't you all just leave your web browser on rocketryforum.com?

Normal hypertext interactions do not involve established connections...the web document is downloaded to you browser and thats it...the website the document came from it not aware of the document open on your browser...you are not effectively "online". You could browse over to TRF and then disconnect from the internet for a month, and ater a month your browser will *still* be showing the TRF page you last opened, because the document is cached on YOUR computer.

Even for website interactions that involve session variables (which, indeed, probably includes this forum), the session variables on the server timeout after several minutes, 15 minutes at most I would say. After this, nothing on the server or anywhere else on the internet is going to show you as being connected to TRF, despite your still have an active internet connection and having the TRF website visible in your browser screen...the TRF document you see is sitting in YOUR computer and no packets of information are being sent to or from your computer through the internet.

The only way to be shown as "connected" to the TRF website during this timeframe would be to constantly hit the "refresh" button on your browser, or to actively be changing the documents your viewing on TRF at least every 15 minutes.

Remember the "Most Users Even Online" thread from last month?

Here's what I suggested as a time to try to break that record (61) as well as EMRR's (64):

I just noticed that the "61" record has been broken...... 63 as of July 15th

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
I just noticed that the "61" record has been broken...... 63 as of July 15th

Might have been a bit of slashdot effect. I posted a message about in on SlashDot.com Someone followed up with a live link.

Many sites get knocked offline by the number of people checking out links on slashdot. Luckily ours was not prominenetly placed nor directly part of one of the stories.

OK, new record here, still not over EMRR's record, and 35 hours to go.

Yea, I remember when Slashdot blew up the GatesBros site, with all their videos and all.

Much to dismay of my family and friends, I tend to stay logged on most of the time anyway, so I will contribute to the total.

won't be just any night.....

10:45 to 11:00 PM EDT tonight should give us a good 15 minute slot so they all get counted.

I've managed to blag a couple of hours off work tomorrow, so I can get up in the middle of the night and join in, without feeling too crap tomorrow morning. :cool:

Originally posted by rstaff3
Much to dismay of my family and friends, I tend to stay logged on most of the time anyway, so I will contribute to the total.

Yep, same here. Always on TRF. It's the homepage for my PC at home. So, regardless of who hops on there's always another hit from my PC.

won't be just any night.....

10:45 to 11:00 PM EDT tonight should give us a good 15 minute slot so they all get counted.

I make that 3:45 to 4:00 AM BST. Averyone in the UK disagree?

6:45 to 8 here in Pacific time, I will be in a motel 6 :(

Or maybe I'll be in another nice place like the El Rancho and have internet access :D

You can just log in prior and leave the connection up. It's not clear that you are logged off TRF even if the internet connection goes down. I asked Milo a long time ago if vBulletin has a time out to log you off and he didn't think so. Of course I can't check unless I create another name and log on to see if my standard name is still there. And the admins frown on multiple names.

So if unsure just don't log out of TRF before you get off the net. You may still help the cause.

Back