Time May Be Running Out for Millions of Clocks

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Penny wise, pound foolish IMO... and I'm not just saying this because my wristwatch and one of my wall clocks use this timing signal.

Time May Be Running Out for Millions of Clocks
2 Sep 2018

https://www.voanews.com/a/time-may-be-running-out-for-millions-of-clocks/4554376.html

President Donald Trump’s administration wants to shut down U.S. government radio stations that announce official time, a service in operation since World War II.

WWV and WWVB in the state of Colorado and WWVH on the island of Kauai in the mid-Pacific state of Hawaii, send out signals that allow millions of clocks and watches to be set either manually or automatically.

WWVB continuously broadcasts digital time codes, using very long electromagnetic waves at a frequency of 60 kilohertz, which are automatically received by timekeeping devices in North America, keeping them accurate to a fraction of a second.

“If you shut down these stations, you turn off all those clocks,” said Don Sullivan, who managed the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) stations between 1994 and 2005.

Some argue the terrestrial time signal have been rendered obsolete by the government’s Global Positioning System, whose satellites also transmit time signals, but users disagree, noting GPS devices must have an unobstructed view of a number of satellites in space to properly function.

“Sixty kilohertz permeates in a way GPS can’t,” Sullivan told VOA, explaining that WWVB’s very low frequency signal can be received inside buildings and it is an important backup to GPS in case adversaries attempt to interfere with the satellite radio-navigation system.

WWV and WWVH broadcast on a number of shortwave frequencies, meaning their signals can be received globally.

The Trump administration proposes, in its Fiscal 2019 budget to Congress, cutting $26.6 million and 136 jobs from NIST’s fundamental measurements, quantum science and measurement dissemination activities.
The budget document acknowledges that in addition to synchronizing clocks and watches, the time signals are also used in appliances, cameras and irrigation controllers.

“It’s crazy,” Sullivan said of the proposed cut. “It’s absolutely insane.”

NIST officials say they cannot comment on budget matters. The White House referred questions about NIST’s funding to the Office of Management and Budget, which has not responded to an inquiry from VOA.

Cesium “atomic clock” racks at WWV in Colorado.

0F99BF22-59C8-40A3-8607-C05282837E1E_w1597_n_r0_s.jpg

Last edited:
Aren't the time signals in the MF and HF bands used by a number of researchers (amateur and academic) to monitor and characterize ionospheric conditions?

During the last administration they tried to cut the budget for the emergency weather alerts. They thought that they were outdated and no one used them any more. Right up until every meteorologist in the country said something about it on television and Congress got a crap-ton of mail reminding them that a lot of us have those emergency weather radios in our homes and take them camping with us.

Same deal here. If you use this service, call your congress-critter and let them know.

The clocks aren't going to break. They're not going to just sit there flashing 12:00 like an old VCR. I've got one of thesen clocks on top of my TV. For some reason, sitting there, it can't lock onto the WWV signal. Over the period of a year or so, it's gotten four minutes fast. Not synchronized with the rest of the world, but no more in error than the analog clocks I deliberately set a little bit fast. I have to say that they're extremely convenient to carry around the house resetting everything after a storm knocks the power out.

The clocks aren't going to break. They're not going to just sit there flashing 12:00 like an old VCR. I've got one of thesen clocks on top of my TV. For some reason, sitting there, it can't lock onto the WWV signal. Over the period of a year or so, it's gotten four minutes fast. Not synchronized with the rest of the world, but no more in error than the analog clocks I deliberately set a little bit fast. I have to say that they're extremely convenient to carry around the house resetting everything after a storm knocks the power out.
I like it that ours resets itself to DST as well.

On a tangent, the funny thing is that as well as WWV, WWVB, and WWVH, there is also a WWVA. But WWVA is a commercial AM station out of Wheeling, West Virginia, hence the name.

Try moving the clock away from the TV, routers, microwave and other noisy electrical devices for a few nights and it should reset itself.

Back