THUNDERSTRUCK 4 Updates....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for putting on a great launch. Special thanks to Gus Piepinburg, for the help putting the darkstar onto the pad. Thanks also go to Jason Griffin, for all of helpful advice. Who won Mach madness?
thunderstruck 2013 pics 212.JPG

Full Scale Patriot on a P8000. Maybe someday it will let me give it a good thumbnail.

[video=youtube;OG35UbBO2L0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG35UbBO2L0[/video]

Thank you all for putting on a great launch. Special thanks to Gus Piepinburg, for the help putting the darkstar onto the pad. Thanks also go to Jason Griffin, for all of helpful advice. Who won Mach madness?
View attachment 124984

It truly was my pleasure too meet you and, your son!:)

The Farmageddon Mach Madness Contest was won by: John Olevich.
The Loraine D. Garrot Memorial Best Flight Award was won by: Corbin Stanfield.

Its about 30 minutes after midnight here in Malfunction Junction and, i just got home an hour ago........very tired....

I need to thank some folks for there generosity and, help this weekend......

The first being Eric Cayemberg and, the Cayemberg family for the generous gift of Cheese Curds! Yah der eh!:D
The Grimracer (please give my love to your lovely wife Shelia.).....for showing me my "New Toy"!:wave: We will setup a time and, place shortly to learn how too use it! Thanks Dude!
To Barry and Virgina McCabe for ALL their help with the registration and, field setup!;)
To Richard Cash the Event organizer for all that he endured trying to give everyone a top notch event!:eek:
To the University of Louisville and, University of Illinois for testing their USLI rockets at our event!:D YOU are ALWAYS welcome on our field! Now as i have too point out......"My Boys" laid down a SOLID number today that WILL be hard too beat!:neener:

"Lord, please prepare the competition for the butt whuppi'n they are about too receive!":rofl: Seriously though.....I look forward too seeing you all again in Huntsville in two weeks and, if you need anything or any help.....feel free to contact me.... we are ALL in this together and, its alot of fun!

Good Luck to you all!

To (halcro) Thanks for coming down! Glad you enjoyed the event.....it will only get better with time! We will talk more down the "Quarter Mile of Life!"

To ALL my fellow Board members and, volunteers......a VERY SPECIAL....Thank-you for your help and, sacrifices this weekend for everyone else's benefit!

To the great Rocket Clubs......SCAM and, QCRS.....our brothers and, sisters here in the Midwest for the equipment "Loan-age" and, help running/tearing it down!

To ALL of you whether you came for one day or all three.......Thank-you!

Were NOT Midwest Power......we've come along ways in such a short time due to alot of hard work behind the scenes......We are very happy too provide you with a fun/safe/friendly way to start off your year in style here in the Midwest......YOU hold the keys too our success....now and, in the future.
I may be the President of the club BUT, without you......without all the people around me....who utilize their incredible talents/skills.....

This could NEVER happen.

Thank you for the comments,....all the ideas/suggestions and, the phone calls/ emails telling me that you had a great time!

I was only a small part of that folks.....only a small part.....

Eat, Sleep..... It was a pleasure too meet you and, your son....I think he has a great future ahead of him.....as a matter of fact i know he does.....

Tonight i decided on the long drive home to screw those two "99 cent Special" Darkstar's together and, call them a two stagger......for MWP11!
We will talk down the road of life and, i will try to give Ben some practical/learned ideas on staging from my perspective.......until then....don't give up or feel frustrated.

Bless you all, i hope that you all arrive home safely and, we will talk again....in a field....somewhere down the road of life!

Thank-you....:cool:

Last edited:
It truly was my pleasure too meet you and, your son!:)

The Farmageddon Mach Madness Contest was won by: John Olevich.
The Loraine D. Garrot Memorial Best Flight Award was won by: Corbin Stanfield.

Its about 30 minutes after midnight here in Malfunction Junction and, i just got home an hour ago........very tired....

I need to thank some folks for there generosity and, help this weekend......

The first being Eric Cayemberg and, the Cayemberg family for the generous gift of Cheese Curds! Yah der eh!:D
The Grimracer (please give my love to your lovely wife Shelia.).....for showing me my "New Toy"!:wave: We will setup a time and, place shortly to learn how too use it! Thanks Dude!
To Barry and Virgina McCabe for ALL their help with the registration and, field setup!;)
To Richard Cash the Event organizer for all that he endured trying to give everyone a top notch event!:eek:
To the University of Louisville and, University of Illinois for testing their USLI rockets at our event!:D YOU are ALWAYS welcome on our field! Now as i have too point out......"My Boys" laid down a SOLID number today that WILL be hard too beat!:neener:

"Lord, please prepare the competition for the butt whuppi'n they are about too receive!":rofl: Seriously though.....I look forward too seeing you all again in Huntsville in two weeks and, if you need anything or any help.....feel free to contact me.... we are ALL in this together and, its alot of fun!

Good Luck to you all!

To (halcro) Thanks for coming down! Glad you enjoyed the event.....it will only get better with time! We will talk more down the "Quarter Mile of Life!"

To ALL my fellow Board members and, volunteers......a VERY SPECIAL....Thank-you for your help and, sacrifices this weekend for everyone else's benefit!

To the great Rocket Clubs......SCAM and, QCRS.....our brothers and, sisters here in the Midwest for the equipment "Loan-age" and, help running/tearing it down!

To ALL of you whether you came for one day or all three.......Thank-you!

Were NOT Midwest Power......we've come along ways in such a short time due to alot of hard work behind the scenes......We are very happy too provide you with a fun/safe/friendly way to start off your year in style here in the Midwest......YOU hold the keys too our success....now and, in the future.
I may be the President of the club BUT, without you......without all the people around me....who utilize their incredible talents/skills.....

This could NEVER happen.

Thank you for the comments,....all the ideas/suggestions and, the phone calls/ emails telling me that you had a great time!

I was only a small part of that folks.....only a small part.....

Eat, Sleep..... It was a pleasure too meet you and, your son....I think he has a great future ahead of him.....as a matter of fact i know he does.....

Tonight i decided on the long drive home to screw those two "99 cent Special" Darkstar's together and, call them a two stagger......for MWP11!
We will talk down the road of life and, i will try to give Ben some practical/learned ideas on staging from my perspective.......until then....don't give up or feel frustrated.

Bless you all, i hope that you all arrive home safely and, we will talk again....in a field....somewhere down the road of life!

Thank-you....:cool:

Just an FYI, my dad doesent have an account on TRF, this in "the son".

Wow, that Patriot video was intense! Did anyone get a video of the Mega?

I have video......unfortunately, it is FULL of "4 letter words"

I do not have the ability to edit the clip. I can send it to someone if they can "clean it up"

Just an FYI, my dad doesent have an account on TRF, this in "the son".

whooooops........:eek:

1. Not the brightest bulb on chandelier of life...hmmmm.
2. Very tired/beat-up/feeling worn out...NOT noticing...hmmmm.
3. Awoken by fellow "Jedimeister Griffin" just a FEW minutes ago....hmmmmm......ring..ring..ring...

"DUDE!!!! THAT was the MOST fun i've had in a LONG TIME!!!!!*squeeze*:jaw:
Thanks Jason......
"I LOVE YOU MAN!!!"*squeeze*:jaw:
Well.....i love you too man, in a 'Platonic' way.....
"I ALMOST CR*PPED myself smiling SOOOO hard!*squeeze*:jaw:
I'm really glad you didn't.
"DUDE.... are we going to do that again NEXT month?"*squeeze**squeeze*:jaw:
Well.....i think we will do it again next year.....probably around the same time......
"AWESOME.......like DOUBLE AWESOME......I'm going to start prepping TODAY!"
You didn't squeeze me......
"Come here man........"*squuuueeeeeze*:jaw:
I think you broke a few of my ribs Jason......*cough**cough*
"Plenty of time to heal between now and, the May QCRS launch!":)

Where was Mannymeister?
1. Young Jedi should have been here....
2. Young Jedi was missed....
3. Not the same without the "Meatball."
4. Young Jedi should be NOW prepping for Kloudbusters event....
5. Young Jedi WILL bring back FULLY intact ONE CTI 98mm casing....from *Super-duper-high altitude event!* CLEAN......
6. Wildmeister ready to charge you if lost and, not in *Jeepster* by return trip....

Do me proud Man-well......you were missed.

Ben? There are "Things" we can show you.....Many things......Manny only got a small taste.........
We will talk.

Last edited:
Mega Darkstar P-8000

[video=youtube;9_Y9L-jimsA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Y9L-jimsA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Hi everyone,

Thanks for coming out and flying with us. I'm super sunburned but I had a great time, and I think the rest of the Indiana Rocketry crew is in a similar state.

Normally I post my pictures the same day -- witness last year's TS thread or MWP thread -- but this year I took way more pictures than I usually do. It didn't feel like it, but Jackie and I were talking in the trailer -- "Man, you've been taking a TON of pictures" -- "Really? Nah." Turns out she was right -- I shot almost 900 :eyepop: So it'll take me some time to get through them, and they all won't make it here -- otherwise this thread will become unreadable :D

Without further ado, here's a few from Friday.

Claude Paquin's Ultimate on a CTI N3301:
IMG_6204.jpg

IMG_6206.jpg

(WANTED, preferably alive, REWARD IF FOUND)

Chuck Haskin's V2-themed Gizmo:
IMG_6229.jpg

Paul Wolak's Ultimate Wildman on an M1790SK:
IMG_6259.jpg

Bill Bertoldi & crew flying a Vindicator on a J800T:
IMG_6269.jpg

A Warrior on a J570W:
IMG_6280.jpg

Tim Dixon's two stager on an I161W:
IMG_6318.jpg

A nice upscale Guardian on a J275W:
IMG_6327.jpg

Rocket Rev's Initiator on a vintage Vulcan G80LS:
IMG_6358.jpg

M Skidmark Drag Racers, L to R-- Jim Scarpine, Jim Hendricksen, Jaysen Gryff'n, John Clifton:
IMG_6364.jpg

I have a sequence of four liftoff shots. Here's one that captures the ensuing mayhem:
IMG_6397.jpg

Jim Scarpine's Star Leopard on the way down. All four recovered successfully!
IMG_6402.jpg

Jackson Lubin's Darkstar 6 on a M1790SK:
IMG_6409.jpg

IMG_6415.jpg

The Kingsford HS kids with their Buster's Revenge/Adam Savage Bobblehead:
IMG_6404.jpg

on an N10,000:
IMG_6477.jpg

BOINK!
IMG_6496.jpg

Our faithful videographer, Eric Barlow:
IMG_6437.jpg

SCAM's Full Scale Patriot on a P8000:
IMG_6421.jpg

IMG_6428.jpg

IMG_6441.jpg

IMG_6449.jpg

Gary Slater's big Hydra on an L2200:
IMG_6434.jpg

QCRS's Mega Darkstar on another P8000:
IMG_6500.jpg

IMG_6510.jpg

IMG_6521.jpg

IMG_6524.jpg

IMG_6526.jpg

Gary Kawabata's L3 cert on an M1297W:
IMG_6547.jpg

Chuck Haskin's incredible Arcas on an N3000:
IMG_6568.jpg

IMG_6571.jpg

Jim Scarpine flying his Star Leopard again on a Burl Finkelstein blue N motor, setting a new personal altitude best:
IMG_6581.jpg

IMG_6585.jpg

Adrian Butler's PML Endeavor on a K456DM:
IMG_6603.jpg

John Olevich's Flying Pumpkin on an I327DM:
IMG_6615.jpg

More coming later!

Last edited:
Outstanding pictures as usual, David! You guys run a great launch, thanks again!

Thanks to everyone at Indiana Rocketry! I had a blast! Still a little bummed about crashing my Photon Probe, but I'm going to rebuild it and try again. Can't wait to come back!

Griffin won the skid drag race, we settled on closest to 5K,he got 4900,I got 2567,(hell my rocket weighed in at 85#),the other 2 were around 6600 and 8800. Jason received his booty as promised, one ProX K535 RR. Congrats Jason!!

and here is how he did it:

Nothing like a little prayer before sending it off :)
P1010181.jpg

I should chime in as well. I was only able to be there Friday but I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It's clear our hosts put an enormous amount of planning and effort into running this. Thank you all for your hard work!

A nice Minie Magg on a skid:
IMG_6636-1.jpg

Halcro and his Woket:
IMG_6637.jpg

IMG_6643.jpg

Tim Dixon's Kraken:
IMG_6641.jpg

A ShadowAero Fatboy:
IMG_6645.jpg

A Wild Thang Jr. from the SCAM crew on an H148:
IMG_6648.jpg

Clifton's Spool:
IMG_6650.jpg

The Kingsford HS kids HM Beast on a CTI Vmax:
IMG_6653.jpg

The LaMasters drag race Phoenixes:
IMG_6658.jpg

Hot Tub I and Hot Tub II drag race Wildman Jr.s (could use a little more power in the breeze, but it made the walk short!)
IMG_6665.jpg

Jason Griffin's Space Cowboy on an L2300 Mojave Green:
IMG_6668.jpg

blurry, but check the Mach diamonds:
IMG_6669.jpg

Jason and Steve prepping a Draglo drag race:
IMG_6672.jpg

and the result:
IMG_6674.jpg

Tom Cayemberg flies a Sconnie Sparky to open Sunday's flying:
IMG_6677.jpg

Preston Nobile follows up with his Dominator 3 on a Sparky One (which is AWESOME, I want to see a big one):
IMG_6684.jpg

Jenny Gross' Slightly Dangerous Eagle Claw on an L990BS:
IMG_6695.jpg

Larry Koskie with his Orion:
IMG_6698.jpg

Clifton's Corkscrew on an N1100 Black Diamond:
IMG_6703.jpg

L2 cert with a Warlok:
IMG_6714.jpg

Jackson Lubin's Wild Thing on a CTI M1160 Green3:
IMG_6718.jpg

Jason Griffin's Gizmo XLDD on an M2000:
IMG_6733.jpg

Wildman Kentucky Gizmo Drag Race (one of these things is not like the other TIM!):
IMG_6747.jpg

Gorman Cook's L3 attempt on a CTI M1160 Green3:
IMG_6755.jpg

John Olevich's Formula 150 on an L900DM:
IMG_6780.jpg

Grimracer's Goldmember on an I357T:
IMG_6794.jpg

Ben Walbaum's two stage Darkstar on a CTI L805WH:
IMG_6840.jpg

stage away!
IMG_6850.jpg

Joe LaMaster's L3 with a Darkstar Extreme on an M1297W:
IMG_6858.jpg

Bill Good's awesome gigantic Interceptor on an M1315W:
IMG_6873.jpg

Chuck Swindler's M-L two stager on its way to orbit:
IMG_6888.jpg

IMG_6905.jpg

Throwback AMW M2500GG in a PML Pterodactyl:
IMG_6913.jpg

Purdue USLI test flight on an L2375WT:
IMG_6922.jpg

Dennis Watkins giving Preston a run for his money in the sparky department with an 11kNs load in his Mad Dog 6:
IMG_6942.jpg

Hot Tub's two stage Darkstar on a K2045:
IMG_6959.jpg

epic stage separation:
IMG_6962.jpg

Upscale Mean Machine, yeah!:
IMG_6964.jpg

Lon Westfall's L3 attempt with a Hawk Mountain Beast:
IMG_6973.jpg

Diane Dorn and her Mrs. Potato Head:
IMG_6988.jpg

John Combs's Stealth on an H123SK:
IMG_6989.jpg

Louisville USLI's test flight:
IMG_7006.jpg

Illinois USLI's test flight:
IMG_7022.jpg

Bill Good's Jart on a J90W (it went Mach):
IMG_7030.jpg

Our Lorraine Garrott award winner Corbin launching one of his many flights:
IMG_7037.jpg

Chuck Swindler launching his 'N Motion on a 12.5k White load, much to the chagrin of his wife:
IMG_7040.jpg

That's all, folks. I've got more; they'll all go to ROCKETS Magazine with the forthcoming article.

A HUGE thank you to everyone who came and flew with us -- we had a great time and it was all because we had so many rockets to fly. Special thanks to Bill Murray for making the Class 3 paperwork possible for the Mega. Also thanks to the SCAM crew and the Illinois guys for helping us break down, and Quad Cities for their generosity in allowing us to borrow their equipment. Our vendors -- Wildman's, Wildman Kentucky, Red Arrow, and the Boy Scouts on food -- and of course our landowners: Chris Krok and the Garrott family, Jim Fields, the Plumlee family, Tom McFee, and everyone else in the area. Ash Grove is a fantastic field, and we are lucky to have it.

We'll see you all next year for Thunderstruck 5. It'll be my last one here in Indiana, so let's make it good!

Hello, Thanks to everyone who made Thunderstruck 4 possible, my family had a great time, looking forward to TS5!

Thought I would share this about the Mach Madness contest with all of you since I have had many email me with questions. Had to win with my "slow" rocket as the fast one (had a CTI K1440 in it) was never found I believe due to my GPS tracker failure at 85 G's on the way up. This one flew on a CTI 1200, hit a velocity of 2597 ft/sec for Mach 2.36, Altitude was 15,333 ft, recovered approximately about 3 miles away, luckily all electronics were intact, and yes good enough for the win and took home the trophy. Special thanks to Gary K., Don K., and Paul G. for all their help in loading and retrieving all the big rockets launched at Thunderstruck 4.

Also if anyone has a photo(s) or video of my Wasserfall that was launched on Sunday at TS4 please contact me as would love to get a copy.

THUNDER2013_TROPHY.jpg MM9.jpg TS41.jpg

Last edited:
That's all, folks. I've got more; they'll all go to ROCKETS Magazine with the forthcoming article.

A HUGE thank you to everyone who came and flew with us -- we had a great time and it was all because we had so many rockets to fly. Special thanks to Bill Murray for making the Class 3 paperwork possible for the Mega. Also thanks to the SCAM crew and the Illinois guys for helping us break down, and Quad Cities for their generosity in allowing us to borrow their equipment. Our vendors -- Wildman's, Wildman Kentucky, Red Arrow, and the Boy Scouts on food -- and of course our landowners: Chris Krok and the Garrott family, Jim Fields, the Plumlee family, Tom McFee, and everyone else in the area. Ash Grove is a fantastic field, and we are lucky to have it.

We'll see you all next year for Thunderstruck 5. It'll be my last one here in Indiana, so let's make it good!

David, great job on the pics! The weather was really good all three days, except for the wind on Saturday. Had a great time again and will be back again next year.....check ur PM's

Preston

Great shots. That's my Minnie Magg on a skid and my Pterodactyl on the AMW M2500GG. You guys do a great launch. Brought the family and all had fun. We will be back next year. Thanks to all.

John

I have video......unfortunately, it is FULL of "4 letter words"

I do not have the ability to edit the clip. I can send it to someone if they can "clean it up"

If you still need this done, I can easily do it for you. I tried to PM you on this but you are full currently.

Back