Thunderchild

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
Who would have believed, that in the early years of the 21st century, minds immeasureably superior to ours still wouldn't have learned their lesson, and we'd have to kick their Martian butts all over again? No germs, this time. This time it's personal. This time we're taking the fight to them -- on Mars.

This is Thunderchild, named for the Royal Navy ship that died protecting Londoners escaping via steam boat from the Martian tripods in War Of The Worlds (at least in the musical version). Designed for flight direct from Earth surface to Martian atmospheric tactical use and return, the sleek aerodynamic shape hides a rock hard heart. Martian cylinder launchers are targeted by triple kinetic kill rocket launchers midships.

This is to be my DESCON 14 entry. It's essentially 12" of BT70, with nose and tail both Apogee PNC56 cones. The tail is cut (by the handiwork of Sandman once again; many thanks) to allow projection of the 3 x 18mm cluster motor tubes (see business end, two right hand panels). The motor mount is from Thrustline, modified by using 12" long motor tubes, with the regular centering ring fore and a BT60 coupler epoxied against the aft inside end of the tail. The cockpit (second panel) is a 13mm ogive nose, cut lengthwise, the bottom half cut off of one, and it inserted backwards under the longer half. This is surface mounted to the nose with epoxy. The "rocket launchers" around the middle are 1/4" styrene tubes, with an internal diameter of 7/32", making them 3/16" capable launch lugs. The fins are 1/8" basswood and fit through slots in the tail cone (though not all the way to the motor tubes). The finish is Rustoleum chrome/stainless steel, over a healthy layer of white satin finish for spiral filling on the body, and over flat white primer on tube and cones.

It came out a bit heavy for three C6's (14 oz without engines), but luckily I picked up a few packs of C5's from ROL. And there's always AT's 18mm D's.

If the pictures are still hard to see, I'll try posting them individually.

It won!

Just barely; last ranked prize winner. But prize winner still.

Originally posted by DynaSoar

This is Thunderchild, named for the Royal Navy ship that died protecting Londoners escaping via steam boat from the Martian tripods in War Of The Worlds (at least in the musical version).

Cool design.

Too bad Jeff Wayne's album was not better known.

...the chances of anything coming from Mars
are a million to one, but still they come.

Now you've done it; that tune is going to be stuck in my head all night.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill
Cool design.

Too bad Jeff Wayne's album was not better known.

...the chances of anything coming from Mars
are a million to one, but still they come.

Now you've done it; that tune is going to be stuck in my head all night.

Bill

When my older son (Clone I) was young he was woken by the Martians' OOOOO-LAAAAAH one night. Scared the heck out of him. He was afraid of that sound for years.

When I was going to go visit him at NIH a few months ago, I ended an email to him with OOO-LAH

He admitted to me when I was there that not only did that give him chills, but he still sleeps only on one side, the side that was facing away from the door to the bedroom where he was first scared by the sound.

See why I'm after those Martians? They scared my kid.

Seriously, I'd like to get the score. The Dallas Symphony does some pretty off the wall stuff. They might go for this.

Very cool rocket.

I remember that album being played on Halloween night way back in...well, just way back when.
:rolleyes:

When my older son (Clone I) was young he was woken by the Martians' OOOOO-LAAAAAH one night. Scared the heck out of him. He was afraid of that sound for years.

Poor thing. I can see how that might scare him. One of those louder OOOOO-LAAAAAHs startled me the first time I heard it and still does if I am not paying attention.

Bill

OOOOO-LAAAAAH
I thought I was the only person who had heard that album! Very good music, and great artwork if you have the LP. I first heard it back in the 80's on LP (my roomates album) Recently I heard the whole thing again. Very cool. I hear that you can find it as MP3 file if you look, although I dont recomend that type of piracy. ;)

ALso you can see some of the artwork here:

https://www.geofftaylor.btinternet.co.uk/gallerytwotw.html

fairwell Thunderchild

Poor Beth...Having a cylinder land on her house...

Great recording. I know that I am showing my age, but I have both the LP record and the CD version...

Every 6 months or so I break out the CD and listen to it. Really ground breaking for it's time...

Originally posted by kelltym88
Cool Design. What'd you win? Any flight pictures?

I won a gift certificate, which I turned over to the Greenhill TARC team for parts. No flight pics yet, but I now have a digital camera so I can get some. Next DARS launch is Nov 13, but maybe I can make the AARG launch Nov. 6. I've still got three C5's waiting for the chance.

Sadly, the chrome paint finish got marred by packing and moving. That paint looks great until you touch it too hard. Good thing I got those close-ups when it was first finished. I'm not about to keep recoating it.

DynaSoar - that's an awesome rocket! I love those classic lines!

I haven't found any durable silver finish. neither has anyone else on TRF, near as I can figure.

My silver rocket is holding up really well afte about 4 years.

It's automotive paint and Testor's Gloss coat

Originally posted by KarlD
Great recording. I know that I am showing my age, but I have both the LP record and the CD version...

Every 6 months or so I break out the CD and listen to it. Really ground breaking for it's time...
Wow. This brings back memories. I had it on 8-track tape though. :p A year or so ago, my Dad, who was recovering from knee replacement surgery, converted all my old 8-tracks to CD for me, and my Mom did the labels. My two-8-track set is now a two-CD set. I haven't listened to it in years, but I'll play part of it tonight. It really is good.

Great album (don't here that anymore :) ). Forgot I had it, perhaps it's time to play it for the boys.....I wonder if my turntable even works...

steve

Man. I finally listened to it again Friday at work. Goosebumps.

I'll have to build a rocket and name it Thunderchild some day. I'll save it for something special. Just hearing the name again got me inspired and nostalgic at the same time. I might give it a baffle system. Wouldn't want to melt its heart out. Even though Thundrchild's moment in the music was short though valient, that name has always spoken to me of valor, shock & awe, heroism, self-sacrifice, and nobility. I'd love to design a rocket some day that made me feel the same way. If I ever do, that will be my Thunderchild.

I...but I now have a digital camera so I can get some.

Got hauled kicking and screaming into the 21st century?;)

Nice boid. looks like what Estes started with when they made the Silver Comet.

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
Got hauled kicking and screaming into the 21st century?;)

Yes. Now where's my personal jet pack, helocar and silver jump suit with the pointy fins on the shoulders? They promised.....

Nice boid. looks like what Estes started with when they made the Silver Comet.

Pods on the fins and it'd be a Tin Tin rocket. All just homage to von Braun and Bonestall.

I played the CD for my 9 yr old son on halloween day, whilest carving pumpkins. He seemed to like the story. Pretty cool sharing that with him. My 11 year old daughter was mildley amused by the CD, but tough to get her to quit talking so we could listen to it! (heheheheh)

Back