Thunderbird 3 Semi-Scale build (3D printed parts, Plywood fins, BT-60/BT-80/BT-50 body tubes)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMacDaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Some folks may have seen this over on Facebook but for those who do not waste time on that social platform... Over the last two weeks I designed, printed, revised, built, and launched a TB-3 model.

1666568010255.jpeg

I asked on FB about what models people would like to see and the TB-3 came up a few times. I had looked at the model before and thought it was too much 3D printing. I looked back at it and rethought how I could break it down into components. Wound up with a BT-60 front tube, BT-80 rear tube portion, and BT-50 side pods.

1666568033792.jpeg 1666568047142.jpeg 1666568073372.jpeg

My built version came out at 23.5" (60cm) which is as tall as a Big Bertha and way more impressive. This weighs in at around 175g w/o motor and has a 24mm motor mount. Simulations show it flying to 110m on D12-3 and 170m on E12-4. I have shifted to using internal BT-50 / 24mm motor mount / stuffer tubes to make it easier for folks to use composite engines.

I launched this last week on a D12-3 and it was really stable. Here is the video (filmed by my 7 year old):
https://youtu.be/H8gYl8Pzvbs?t=6

I went through a number of evolutions in this design. I originally made the side pods with BT-20 tubes but they seemed too small. I originally planned to use 1.5mm plywood for the cooling fins in the middle of the model. However, I wound up printing the entire central core with cooling fins. I did split off the front cone since the circle details were printing upside down originally and needed supports. They print better as a separate part. I also modified the original engine retainer cap -- the first version was a bit too inset so motor was hard to remove.

1666568090805.jpeg 1666568102052.jpeg 1666568118381.jpeg

Here is the OpenRocket simulation:
1666568392725.png

Very Nice! You could have "clustered" the motors into the pods theoretically -- but how you'd route the ejection charge to the nosecone, well, that's another issue entirely. Be aware that it really seems like NONE of Derek Meddings designs were ever meant to actually fly, but TB3 is the closest we get. They all look immensely cool on TV however. As a giant Gerry Anderson fanboy, I say F.A.B.!

Very Nice! You could have "clustered" the motors into the pods theoretically -- but how you'd route the ejection charge to the nosecone, well, that's another issue entirely. Be aware that it really seems like NONE of Derek Meddings designs were ever meant to actually fly, but TB3 is the closest we get. They all look immensely cool on TV however. As a giant Gerry Anderson fanboy, I say F.A.B.!
Thank you!

I did actually size the pods to take 18mm engines -- could just do C6-0 or maybe an A10 plugged engine with adapter if someone really wanted to along with a middle engine for ejection. I think those side pods would be a recipe for a pinwheeling flight but would be exciting for sure.

Last edited:
We renovated the room I used in the past for painting so now I do not have any space to paint rockets... Even I could have sprayed this one all red!

View attachment 543201
There seems to be a paint booth built into one wall. It's a bit awkwardly positioned, so close to the floor as it is, but should be serviceable.

And final question, is the TB-3 meant to be assembled with Titebond III?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just noticed this in the PDF instructions. Anyone up for that particular challenge (apart from me...) 🤔

"Opening in rear pod parts were sized to take 18mm engines but I have not provided an internal centering tube / motor block since this is
considered to be “non-standard use”. That being said, I would love to see pictures / video if you launch with plugged engines in pods."

@BigMacDaddy,

Any chance you will ever do an upscale of this rocket? 29mm MMT sized? Like LOC 3" tubing (From BT80 to 3")?
I have been doing some upscales of various models w/ 3mm plywood and larger BTs.

I was thinking of going a bit larger with this one -- from BT-60 to BT-80 or 2.6" and from BT-80 to 105mm or so (I cannot recall what was the best scale tube).

I have been doing some upscales of various models w/ 3mm plywood and larger BTs.

I was thinking of going a bit larger with this one -- from BT-60 to BT-80 or 2.6" and from BT-80 to 105mm or so (I cannot recall what was the best scale tube).

I would be very interested in a larger version of the T3.

Brad Bowers posted his version of the TB-3 with pods loaded with plugged mini engines in pods and D12 in main engine space. Great flight so more confident now that this can be clustered with those somewhat spaced out pods.

1694696304798.png 1694696361421.png

Back