Thrustline Pumpkin Head

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CQBArms

Reaction score
Most striking thing about the Pumpkin Head...it's got a 24mm engine mount!
This thing is gonna fly...as it is very light and basically a 3FNC.

This is what I am aiming for although I think I might paint it a bit different.
Pump%20Web.JPG

The kit:
normal_PA180030.JPG

Laid out:
normal_PA190031.JPG

Note the upgraded parachute and the decals. I am glad the chute is neon orange. Might make it easier to see.

Engine mount drying:
normal_PA190036.JPG

It will not except E's as the clip is too short, but I have a feeling that's a "good thing".

Trying a different method to "finish" fins.
I am prepping the stock with some sealer, then I will sand, then I will cut.
Who knows what will happen but it can't hurt to try.

normal_PA190037.JPG

Dry and ready for sanding
normal_PA190038.JPG

More progress on the pumpkin head....

Mount is in, fins and lug is on, nosecone is treated. I used that white stuff, then sealed on top with white glue. Ends up as a nice fill for the fins.
Note the trusty Flis kit pencil.

12-15-06_2200.jpg

Nice job, how did the finish on the fins work out? I thought of trying the same thing but was worried about warping. I usually use Elmers superior staining wood filler thinned out with water to the consistancy of thick paint. I brush it on fins and the tube spirals all at once and then sand, sand, sand.

That is a really nice rocket. Ever notice that some 3fnc rockets are not just a 3fnc rocket, but a nice looking rocket? :)

It worked out well. It would "seem" that if you do both sides at once, it might be less of an issue. Since they warp in the direction of the liquid, if there is liquid on both sides...it sort of is an even balance .

Also the balsa stock on this seems pretty thick.

I did make one small modification on the fins, they have an extra "edge" the outside edge (opposite the root) was supposed to be straight, but I put a small angle to it creating two edges.

Yeah this is a nicer 3FNC, the nosecone is different then most and man...it's got a 24mm mount...I mean how high is this thing gonna go?

Chute Prep
normal_PA310033.JPG

Something that seems endemic to a lot of the chutes is that the knots don't stay tied. Not the fault of the maker, just the nature of the materials. So I put a small drop of CA on each knot.

Sort of going in a different direction with the paint scheme. Well just sort of reverse.

normal_PA310035.JPG

Did you find that when cutting out the fins that they came across as somewhat knotty and a little difficult to cut in places?? I noticed that was the case in cutting out the fins for my Pumpkin Head (nonetheless didn't deter me) although paradoxically, the nosecone was a gem to work on. I'd also be curious to know how you fare with applying the waterslide decals as mine self-destructed as noted in the below post:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32150

I like that reverse paintjob of yours, a nice variation on the stock paint theme.

Cheers ...... Pete

Yes! There seemed to be a "vein" running though the balsa. I would hit that and have to cut and cut over that area. It ran the whole length of the stock.

As for the waterslide, I found on the other kit it seemed to self destruct in the water. That along with the fact that the paint job is reverse, means I lose the "pumpkin head" one and I think I am going to go with stickers. I will paint the fin again and "set" the sticker into the semi wet paint. The clear coat later.

Originally posted by Motörhead
Did you find that when cutting out the fins that they came across as somewhat knotty and a little difficult to cut in places?? I noticed that was the case in cutting out the fins for my Pumpkin Head (nonetheless didn't deter me) although paradoxically, the nosecone was a gem to work on. I'd also be curious to know how you fare with applying the waterslide decals as mine self-destructed as noted in the below post:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32150

I like that reverse paintjob of yours, a nice variation on the stock paint theme.

Cheers ...... Pete

Lt. Colonel Happy Jack makes a surprise visit. He's the flight commander of flight PHL001

normal_PB010039.JPG

Lt. Colonel Happy Jack oversees the customizing of the chute:
Airman Bushkin is checking the pattern.

normal_PB010042.JPG

Haha. Put a 24 inch chute on Lt. Col. Happy Jack and watch him drift away... and away... and away!;)

Hey they are outfitted with the highest quality chutes the lowest bidder can provide!

Originally posted by jj94
Haha. Put a 24 inch chute on Lt. Col. Happy Jack and watch him drift away... and away... and away!;)

Mr and Mrs Ginger stop by to see how things are going. They are on their way to the Mod Podge Spa.....

normal_PB010043.JPG

A team from the Alien Troop Mover team stops by for a send off.

normal_PB010044.JPG

Completed.

My wife says it looks a little "funny" and maybe she is right...hard to say.

Some modifications:
Paint
Added a nomex chute guard
Added an anti-zipper tape band around the Kevlar cord.

normal_PB010046.JPG

Back