Thrustline New Kit>>"A-SLAM" Beta test in progress!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

flying_silverad

Reaction score
3 18mm cluster desinged around a BT70. One of our own members is testing it as we speak. Two photos...more info will be posted as it nears completion and release.

A-SLAM

And painted...thanks to A.R. for the photo

;)

A-SLAM Painted

powderburner

Reaction score
is that a pair of motor mounts I (almost) see in the rear?

flying_silverad

Reaction score
Originally posted by n3tjm
Nice rocket :). I like the name too ;)
Yep, the name was Doug's idea. We went back and forth for about 15 minutes about it. I must admit Doug, I do like it!!:D

flying_silverad

Reaction score
Length-21.5"
Engines- 3/18mm
Diameter- 2.21"
Span-5.3"
Recovery- 12-14" Chute

Notice intial name on file? First names are by far not always the best!!:D

Fore Check

Reaction score
That thing would look just *nails* with a red/white paint scheme patterned after the old Centuri Bulldog!

Nice rocket!

flying_silverad

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fore Check
That thing would look just *nails* with a red/white paint scheme patterned after the old Centuri Bulldog!

Nice rocket!
My Beta testor was painting it Orange (or red) and Black. I'll try the Bulldog method...sounds good!!

powderburner

Reaction score
Originally posted by flying_silverad
Not 2.......3-18mm motors!!!
I know your first post said the design was a triple cluster, but the photo kind of looked like it might be a twin-motor mount. Anyway, it still looks like a lot of fun!

You guys who always want to fly on three (and more) motors are killing me, I am definitely going to have to get back to work on a better launcher. My last three-motor attempt was only 67 percent successful and it made for an unpleasently interesting flight.

BTW, I vote for the red/white paint scheme also.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
Originally posted by powderburner
I know your first post said the design was a triple cluster, but the photo kind of looked like it might be a twin-motor mount. Anyway, it still looks like a lot of fun!

You guys who always want to fly on three (and more) motors are killing me, I am definitely going to have to get back to work on a better launcher. My last three-motor attempt was only 67 percent successful and it made for an unpleasently interesting flight.

BTW, I vote for the red/white paint scheme also.
I'll keep that in mind...more 2 engine clusters!!:D

eugenefl

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
John, GREAT design! I agree that A-Slam works best for this rocket. It's a brute design for non-brute motors - kind of a play on power vs. size.

I had to mention that the painted models make a large difference in the kit appearance and desireability. Nice work on this one.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
Originally posted by Donaldsrockets
Hey John

I was just wondering, what does it take to be one of your beta-testers???

Just curious:)

Thanks again
Just e-mail me your name, TRF username, e-mail address, Address, some background (hobby related) and what you prefer to build.
Then i send you a set of guidelines and if you like what you see, I put you on the list. It's that easy!

[email protected] or [email protected]

CTimm

Reaction score
It reminds me of the French S.530 missile.

CTimm

SecretSquirrel

Reaction score
Yep, the name was Doug's idea. We went back and forth for about 15 minutes about it. I must admit Doug, I do like it!!:D
So, how did you pick that name? Were you having breakfast at Denny's when inspiration suddenly struck? :p

flying_silverad

Reaction score
Originally posted by SecretSquirrel
So, how did you pick that name? Were you having breakfast at Denny's when inspiration suddenly struck? :p
As I recall, we were talking about it and he asked me what I had chosen for a name. I said SLAM and Doug thought it should have a little more zip...hence, A-SLAM. WE went back and forth for about 5 minutes (IM) and then it just sort of grew on me.

I think next month, I'm going to have contest...name that rocket!

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
As I recall, we were talking about it and he asked me what I had chosen for a name. I said SLAM and Doug thought it should have a little more zip...hence, A-SLAM. WE went back and forth for about 5 minutes (IM) and then it just sort of grew on me.

I think next month, I'm going to have contest...name that rocket!
Actually... the story is off a bit. He asked what I think the name should be... and I said it had to have "SLAM" in it...

then I started listing slams....

A-SLAM
SLAM-RAM...
did not get very far when he immediatly fell in love with A-Slam :)

swimmer

Reaction score
Thanks to Thrustline Aerospace and flying silverad I had the opportunity to beta-test this uniquely designed rocket named the A-Slam. I've flown her and let me tell you all that the 3 x 18mm motor cluster is very exciting when they light. This rocket gets a lot of altitude on C6-5's. She's a beauty!!

Oh yeah, that's Swimmer behind her.:D

swimmer

Reaction score
...this is the end where the motors go..... funny, huh???

I will eventually get a launch picture, my first launch I failed to get any launch pics.

I used ACE hardware gloss red and black. I has a very nice wet look. I really like this paint. The vinyl lettering is my addition and added with the permission of flying silverad.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
Beautiful finish!! Great photos...I will be launching on the 19th at our CATO. It really smokes!!:D

jetra2

Reaction score
Well...

I couldn't stand it...

I ordered myself an A-Slam!

As per my discussion with John, I will be posting a review of it on EMRR just ASAP.

I'm excited...I love Thrustline's kits! :D :D :D

Jason