Thrustline New Kit>>"A-SLAM" Beta test in progress!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

flying_silverad

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Messages
3,168
Reaction score
1
3 18mm cluster desinged around a BT70. One of our own members is testing it as we speak. Two photos...more info will be posted as it nears completion and release.

A-SLAM

And painted...thanks to A.R. for the photo

;)

A-SLAM Painted
 

powderburner

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
7,400
Reaction score
5
is that a pair of motor mounts I (almost) see in the rear?
 

flying_silverad

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Messages
3,168
Reaction score
1
Originally posted by n3tjm
Nice rocket :). I like the name too ;)
Yep, the name was Doug's idea. We went back and forth for about 15 minutes about it. I must admit Doug, I do like it!!:D
 

flying_silverad

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Messages
3,168
Reaction score
1
Length-21.5"
Engines- 3/18mm
Diameter- 2.21"
Span-5.3"
Recovery- 12-14" Chute





Notice intial name on file? First names are by far not always the best!!:D
 

Fore Check

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2010
Messages
4,263
Reaction score
7
That thing would look just *nails* with a red/white paint scheme patterned after the old Centuri Bulldog!

Nice rocket!
 

flying_silverad

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Messages
3,168
Reaction score
1
Originally posted by Fore Check
That thing would look just *nails* with a red/white paint scheme patterned after the old Centuri Bulldog!

Nice rocket!
My Beta testor was painting it Orange (or red) and Black. I'll try the Bulldog method...sounds good!!
 

powderburner

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
7,400
Reaction score
5
Originally posted by flying_silverad
Not 2.......3-18mm motors!!!
I know your first post said the design was a triple cluster, but the photo kind of looked like it might be a twin-motor mount. Anyway, it still looks like a lot of fun!

You guys who always want to fly on three (and more) motors are killing me, I am definitely going to have to get back to work on a better launcher. My last three-motor attempt was only 67 percent successful and it made for an unpleasently interesting flight.

BTW, I vote for the red/white paint scheme also.
 

flying_silverad

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Messages
3,168
Reaction score
1
Originally posted by powderburner
I know your first post said the design was a triple cluster, but the photo kind of looked like it might be a twin-motor mount. Anyway, it still looks like a lot of fun!

You guys who always want to fly on three (and more) motors are killing me, I am definitely going to have to get back to work on a better launcher. My last three-motor attempt was only 67 percent successful and it made for an unpleasently interesting flight.

BTW, I vote for the red/white paint scheme also.
I'll keep that in mind...more 2 engine clusters!!:D
 

eugenefl

Well-Known Member
TRF Supporter
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
4,375
Reaction score
10
John, GREAT design! I agree that A-Slam works best for this rocket. It's a brute design for non-brute motors - kind of a play on power vs. size.

I had to mention that the painted models make a large difference in the kit appearance and desireability. Nice work on this one.
 

flying_silverad

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Messages
3,168
Reaction score
1
Originally posted by Donaldsrockets
Hey John

I was just wondering, what does it take to be one of your beta-testers???

Just curious:)

Thanks again
Just e-mail me your name, TRF username, e-mail address, Address, some background (hobby related) and what you prefer to build.
Then i send you a set of guidelines and if you like what you see, I put you on the list. It's that easy!

[email protected] or [email protected]
 

CTimm

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2009
Messages
665
Reaction score
0
It reminds me of the French S.530 missile.

CTimm
 

SecretSquirrel

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
2,126
Reaction score
11
Originally posted by flying_silverad
Yep, the name was Doug's idea. We went back and forth for about 15 minutes about it. I must admit Doug, I do like it!!:D
So, how did you pick that name? Were you having breakfast at Denny's when inspiration suddenly struck? :p
 

flying_silverad

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Messages
3,168
Reaction score
1
Originally posted by SecretSquirrel
So, how did you pick that name? Were you having breakfast at Denny's when inspiration suddenly struck? :p
As I recall, we were talking about it and he asked me what I had chosen for a name. I said SLAM and Doug thought it should have a little more zip...hence, A-SLAM. WE went back and forth for about 5 minutes (IM) and then it just sort of grew on me.

I think next month, I'm going to have contest...name that rocket!
 

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
7,531
Reaction score
429
Location
Penns Creek, PA
Originally posted by flying_silverad
As I recall, we were talking about it and he asked me what I had chosen for a name. I said SLAM and Doug thought it should have a little more zip...hence, A-SLAM. WE went back and forth for about 5 minutes (IM) and then it just sort of grew on me.

I think next month, I'm going to have contest...name that rocket!
Actually... the story is off a bit. He asked what I think the name should be... and I said it had to have "SLAM" in it...

then I started listing slams....

A-SLAM
SLAM-RAM...
did not get very far when he immediatly fell in love with A-Slam :)
 

swimmer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2009
Messages
670
Reaction score
0
Thanks to Thrustline Aerospace and flying silverad I had the opportunity to beta-test this uniquely designed rocket named the A-Slam. I've flown her and let me tell you all that the 3 x 18mm motor cluster is very exciting when they light. This rocket gets a lot of altitude on C6-5's. She's a beauty!!

Oh yeah, that's Swimmer behind her.:D
 

swimmer

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2009
Messages
670
Reaction score
0
...this is the end where the motors go..... funny, huh???

I will eventually get a launch picture, my first launch I failed to get any launch pics.

I used ACE hardware gloss red and black. I has a very nice wet look. I really like this paint. The vinyl lettering is my addition and added with the permission of flying silverad.
 

flying_silverad

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Messages
3,168
Reaction score
1
Beautiful finish!! Great photos...I will be launching on the 19th at our CATO. It really smokes!!:D
 

jetra2

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2009
Messages
2,795
Reaction score
2
Well...

I couldn't stand it...

I ordered myself an A-Slam!

As per my discussion with John, I will be posting a review of it on EMRR just ASAP.

I'm excited...I love Thrustline's kits! :D :D :D

Jason
 
Top