Thrustline: New design >PANTHER!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
excellent design! but I think it needs a more aerospace sounding name..... because of the space fighter look..

have u considered using an internal piston pod and turning it into a glider? ala the old estes skydart? I betcha it would glide great with the addition of elevators.....

also consider a changeable motor mount....this is alarge model I would like to blast this up with estes D-E....

send me one to beta test and I'll do the mods for ya...heheheh

Very cool.
Might look better if the outer edges of the wings were parallel to the body and had little missiles attached. :D
I like it. Alot.

Tim

Originally posted by slim_t
Very cool.
Might look better if the outer edges of the wings were parallel to the body and had little missiles attached. :D
I like it. Alot.

Tim

How about I keep the wing tips, and install cluster bomb racks underneath?

Yeah, even better.
Or you could do both, but then you'd have to add more power.
(Insert Tim Allen's "argh, argh, argh" here)

Tim

Might look better if the outer edges of the wings were parallel to the body and had little missiles attached

Then add a T-tail and it's an F-104!

John, it does need something...fin pods?? Canopy??? Intakes?

Don't know.

And Panther...name is too...tame...needs some "juice"

Attack Panther!

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
Then add a T-tail and it's an F-104!

John, it does need something...fin pods?? Canopy??? Intakes?

Don't know.

And Panther...name is too...tame...needs some "juice"

Attack Panther!

sandman

I'm thinking canopy and intake...working on both. There is already a rocket called "Pather Attack" so put on your thinking caps!

I think a numerical designation (F-22, F-16, etc.) before the Panther would be a must. I don't quite see anything wrong with the name. It seems typical to name a vehicle after an aggressive animal except I don't think I've ever seen a Panther fly. ;)

How about the Rabid Pidgeon?...or Foaming-at-the-Mouth Sparrow?...or Sharpened Spoonbill Duck?...or Stigmatic Seagull?

(ok, just kidding! :D )

Rocket looks cool !!

a couple of ideas for names :

Thrust Arrow / Aero
Pantera

Ditto what Eugene said. It would sound cool if it had a numerical designation before the name, like fighter planes do.

Or, another thought is, since I think it kinda looks like a Bomarc, is to give a designation like "AGM-242 Panther" or something like that!

Put me down for one also! :p :D

Jason

LOL Dont call it AGM-242... AGM stands for Air to Ground Missile :p

That looks great! Although judging by Photo 2, I would put another centering ring that is flush with the end of the body tube to close up the body.

Maybe something like F 242 Panther Ground Attack Fighter... Those wings look like they could hold alot of bombs :)

Phil

silver: can you post a underneath pic? or from the rea or from the fron to see the intake better? You realize of course you can still make this a glider? and use DE engines?
looks great!

Don-Your right. That's where the idea came from!

Here are some photos of the underside. Please excuse the tape and pins!

Panther Underside

The forward portion of the intake is cut about 60 degrees while the trailing edge is cut at about 45 degrees. It runs from leading edge to trailing edge.

Tha canopy was made with 3 slabs of 3/16 balsa carved and sanded (somebody should really mold these).

Another bottom shot

Lookin' better and better !!! .... you can put me down for one when you're ready !!!

PLUS ... I think the name "Panther" is just fine too !!! Paint it dark dark blue and add some old style NAVY insignias ....

Oh, much much better.
Just awesome!

Hey what was that white stuff in that one outdoor pic? :confused:

I'm sitting here in shorts and a T-shirt with all the windows open and fans on, and I'm still hot. It's almost 80 degrees outside.
I'll probably have to break down and turn on the A/C tomorrow.
Got to love this southern weather. At least until about May anyway. Then we wished we lived farther north. :D

Sorry to get off topic. The white stuff shocked me.

Tim

Oh, much much better.
Just awesome!

Hey what was that white stuff in that one outdoor pic? :confused:

I'm sitting here in shorts and a T-shirt with all the windows open and fans on, and I'm still hot. It's almost 80 degrees outside.
I'll probably have to break down and turn on the A/C tomorrow.
Got to love this southern weather. At least until about May anyway. Then we wished we lived farther north. :D

Sorry to get off topic. The white stuff shocked me.

Tim

Oh sure...rub it in. You should see the driveway. Huge Mud!! It's 60 now which is great, but that could change almost overnight...Next year I might just have to spend my winter in...YOUR HOUSE!:D1000 POSTS!!! YAHHOOO!!!!!

Hey, as long as you bring lots of parts and all those cool design ideas. Oh, and maybe a swimming pool. :p

Tim

Hey, as long as you bring lots of parts and all those cool design ideas. Oh, and maybe a swimming pool. :p

Tim

How about a kiddy pool!

Very nice!! It really, really needs to be a glider though!!! The world needs more gliding rockets! :) :cool:

Originally posted by flying_silverad
Made some changes! New Nose, Intake and Canopy!

Can you give out any tips on how you shaped that balsa canopy?
It looks like you might have wrapped sandpaper around a BT to sand the mounting surface to fit, but what process did you use for the exposed side? (it turned out very nicely, BTW)

Originally posted by powderburner
Can you give out any tips on how you shaped that balsa canopy?
It looks like you might have wrapped sandpaper around a BT to sand the mounting surface to fit, but what process did you use for the exposed side? (it turned out very nicely, BTW)

Okay...this could be long.

1. I take a piece of card stock and fold it in half the long way. Using scissors, cut a "half tear drop" shape and unfold. This forms the patterns base. The side profile is usually half of the base profile. If you want a better idea of the side profile, simply fold the pattern back.

Step One

2. With the panther, I laminated 3 pieces of 3/16 balsa just larger than the pattern. Trace the outline of the pattern and begin to remove the material to the line. I use a Dremel or barrel sander on my drill press to expedite this.

Step 2

3. Once the base is complete, then begin shaping the side profile using the "half profile" I mentioned earlier. Take of a little at a time keep eyeing it. Make sure that you don't loose the the center line of the canopy. Once done, wrap a piece of sandpaper around the bidy tube you want it to attach to and start sanding the bottom back and forth. Make sure it's straight by check the bottom of the canopy often.

Step 3

The biggest tip...practice! It's usually takes me about 5-10 minutes from start to finish and anyone can achieve the same results with very little experience. I don't use any special sanding blocks but it is good to really look at canopies of fighters. Here is a great link for "absorbing" some of the lines!!
F-16's

Back