Thrustline Cherokee-D (The 3rd)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulk

Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted to share with you Cherokee-D fans my latest build, a Cherokee-D clone built with a Thrustline parts pack, and Excelsior decals.

This is my all-time favorite rocket. I'm not sure exactly why, maybe because it is just so cool looking, or maybe because this is the first one that got away in my youth. Lost my original on its maiden flight in 1975, last thing I saw was an orange spec high in the air over the local industrial park, after following it for maybe a mile over the hill and through the woods (really!). So I built a second one that year, and never flew it... Until this summer... I put a smaller 15" chute in, with a 4" spill hole. It flew twice one day on a C11-5 and D12-7, calm day, great flights. Next day I was simply too confident in what seemed like only a light breeze, used the big motor right away, and lost it in a marsh at a local WOOSH event. :(

I had read about cloning through this forum, so lookup Thrustline Aerospace, and Excelsior Rocketry, and decide to build number 03. What a nice kit! Being only my 3rd BAR build, I was real happy with the final outcome. Sure the fillets are not perfect, the nose cone red is darker than I wanted; it still is way better looking than the two I lost (sniff). The kit worked out real well for me, along with plans from JimZ. Only change I made was to substitute a smaller thickness screw eye, the snap swivel wouldn't fit over the one in the kit. Decals went on great, had a couple specs of red that lifted off the big wrap, I think during my application of MicroScale Decal film. No big deal, I'll be more gentle next time. I didn't apply the Micro Sol, wanting to see what it would look like without it. I wonder if I can still apply it?

I now hope to clone what is left of my vintage fleet.

It is just really great to see the Cherokee-D born again :) :). I look forward to flying this bird. Thanks Jim! Thanks John! Thanks Phred! (oh, and Thanks TRF!)

-Paul

Closeup View of fins, showing serial #03. Any thoughts on where the NASA decal should have gone? Vertical or Horizontal? I've seen both ways.

That's a very clean and very nice build! We absolutely love our vendors on this forum for providing an opportunity to rebuild rockets from days past. Nice job!

Originally posted by CherokeePaul
Closeup View of fins, showing serial #03. Any thoughts on where the NASA decal should have gone? Vertical or Horizontal? I've seen both ways.

-Those fillets look perfect to me!!!

Cherokee-D the 4th is now finished, this time the long BT, PNC version. Built from leftover parts, and a 2nd set of decals from excelsior.

Beautiful rockets man! I envy your filleting abilities!

Did you stick with the D mount, or did you add the extra inch for E9?

I decided to stick with the D mount, since it already flies out-a-sight. If I go with an E mount, I would probably upscale a bit. I've gotta get over this aversion to losing rockets, I think I was scarred for life when I lost my very first Cherokee-D :eek:

-Paul

beautiful cherokees!
i did my stock clone with a 29mm MMT and fly it on F10s!
:D

I made an 18/24 MMT conversion so I could fly it on B6's. I was a little too spooked to fly it even on a C11, so I can certainly understand that. :) However, I will be making a second (it's well down the list of builds) in yellow with the E mount. I'll call it the Whitakers special. It won't be flying at school fields! :D

That IS a nice finish! That's one sharp little rocket. I love the
graphics. Now I don't know which one to get next. The
Cherokee D or the Aerobee 300. hmmm:)

Thanks for all your kind comments folks - that keeps me coming back.

Buzz, I'm obviously biased, but go for the Cherokee-D; I'm a sucker for colorful decals.

Elapid, are you serious? Have you actually recovered it after an F10?

-Paul

Finally launched serial #03 sunday, it was breezy, and I used the chute that came with the kit (with big spill hole), so used C6-5 and C11-5. Here it is sitting on the pad.

-Paul

And she's off! Chute deployed right at apogee, over some houses, drifted back 50 yards downwind of us, narrowly avoiding a parking lot.

And a really grainy picture of the 2nd flight, just before touchdown; dark shape to the left is my son watching it come down next to the playground. I need more practice running and picture taking at the same time :rolleyes:

-Paul

Great pic of the launch. got to add that one to my little fleet.

Does it come with a plastic or nylon chute?

Good looking launch photo pkinzer! A may I say what a nice OPEN field you have to launch with! If I ever have an open field, I will NEVER sell that land!

This was a thrustline aerospace parts kit, which comes with top notch parts - a real nice mylar chute, kevlar recovery, looong heavy shock cord, balsa nose cone, etc. I was surprised to get a nose cone dent in the body tube on the C11-5?

Unfortunately the town in an effort to win a "tree city usa" designation, planted over 100 trees in this town park. They're little now, but I can just see them licking their chops for when they get older. :p

-pau;

I get that dent in the end of the body tube everytime I launch
a rocket. :mad: It doesn't seem to matter how long the shock
cord is.

Thought about doing away with the cord altogether. The nose
cone and body tube recovering on separate chutes or streamers.:confused: I dunno.

Sorry I'm a little late on the draw here guys...catching up on some much needed TRF reading from all summer!

Anyway, Cherokees look awesome!

Back