Thrustline Cherokee-D Kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e42

Reaction score
Since returning to rockets (again :)), I have found myself longing for kits that are no longer available. But thanks to Thurstline (and other OOP kit makers) I can built these rockets from clone kits. Even better is the fact that the decals for the Thrustline clone kits are available from Excelsor Rocketry. I really appreciate this arrangement.

One of the kits that I chose was the Cherokee-D. Since this is the Product Review forum, I suppose I should give a review. The materials in the kit that I received from Thrustline were EXCELLENT! All the parts come in a sealed plastic bag. I downloaded the instruction sheet from JimZ Rocket Plans. The parts included a length of Kevlar thread (for anchoring the recovery system to the engine mount) and a nice red Mylar parachute. The rocket was put together without any problems in a couple of hours.

To finish the Cherokee-D, I decided to try Kilz Original primer. I first used Elmer's F'nF on the fins, nose cone, and body tube. I then applied the primer. After letting it dry for 48 hours, I noticed very small pits in some of the fins. I decided to apply 2 coats of grey auto primer (sanding most of it off between coats). The rocket then got the standard paint scheme of white with a red nose cone. The decals from Excelsor Rocketry where PERFECT!!! There were even excess decals on the sheet.

I have yet to fly it (soon I hope). This rocket is a "blast from the past" for most BARs. I didn't own one in my previous rocket lives but am certainly glad I am able to have one now. Thanks Thrustline (and Excelsor Rocketry :D) for making this possible.

Enough chatter. Attached is a picture of the finished rocket.

--- Ron

Wow, nice! I did own one back in my high school days (1970-71), and I thought it was my best looking rocket at the time. I am definitely getting another one some day, I lost the original 35 years ago over a residential area.

I just realized looking at your picture, that a CD turned shiny-side up makes a cool looking rocket base. Did you glue an expended motor casing to that disc? I've got gobs of useless CDs, I need to whip me up a batch of those :cool: .

Thanks Thomas.

I got the idea for the CD from some other thread on TRF. In that thread, the author said he painted the used motors white. I did the same and now have a bunch of stands. Though I still need more (have the CDs but not the motors). I better get out and launch before winter hits :( .

--- Ron

Originally posted by e42
Thanks Thomas.

I got the idea for the CD from some other thread on TRF. In that thread, the author said he painted the used motors white. I did the same and now have a bunch of stands. Though I still need more (have the CDs but not the motors). I better get out and launch before winter hits :( .

--- Ron
That's pretty neat. I think I might paint my motor casings flat black instead.

Winter? I forgot all about that. We're lucky down here that we can launch year 'round.

Nice job Ron!

No matter how many times I see a Cherokee D, I never tire of looking at them! Classic lines and just a really nice decal set too (Even better since Phred is making them!).

Keep us informed on the first flight!

Looks great!

What a coincidence! I just painted my Thrustline Cherokee-D yesterday.
It was one my favorites from the first time around also. I can't recall what happened to my old one, though.

Geez, I sure had to read a lot to get to the picture :rolleyes: :D Nice looking Cherokee-D. Yep, those Thrustline parts packs are great. I'd recommend swapping out the chute for a streamer, especially if you launch with a D12-7.

Originally posted by paulk
I'd recommend swapping out the chute for a streamer, especially if you launch with a D12-7.

I had been thinking about doing just that- either use a streamer, or a small chute of about 8".

I ordered a Nike-X parts pkg the same time as the Cherokee-D, and built it first. It's similar in size, probably just a little heavier, but flies on smaller 18mm engines. I lost it already thanks to sneaky winds. They weren't blowing at lower altitudes on it's last flight, but they were up high, and caught it's chute at deployment and off it drifted.

Before that, the Nike had two cases of partial chute ejection (weak ejection-two engines from the same package) and landed without aid of the chute. It landed undamaged, so I thought if it could survive that, the Cherokee-D should do OK on a streamer or small chute.

I flew mine today...on a B6-4 in an adapter.

Yeah, I know, that's like a 4 cylinder Corvette, but I got it back!
We have a fairly big yard, but not that big!

Anyway-
Straight up, straight down. Just like it should go.
Pretty high too, for a "little" engine.
Nice.

I have always loved the Cherokee-D. Lost more than 1 through the years. Saw Phred of Excelsior at NEMROC Saturday, and he was working on a 5J decal for PlanetAndy that I was to pick up, and I got bit by the Goonys on display! I grabbed a Nike-G planpack as well as an 'E' Cloud Hopper planpack, the original 'oddroc' series. As I was nosing around, I saw the Cherokee-D decal laying there, and had to have it. Phred also gave me gratis a Black Brant VI decal for a BT-20 mini-engine mount! Whatta guy!

At the end of the day was the drawing for the many items for 'door prizes'. I ended up with the decal set for the BT-60 Citation Patriot, Gold Eagle wrap & all! A sheet and a half worth! Wow! I had commented to Phred that was one I will be doing, just not right away... We were both chuckling at that at the end of the day.

I'm a happy camper Now. Thanks Phred!

I'll be a building maniac for a while! Not sure where to start. Your Cherokee-D pic may be the deciding factor, Ron. Thanks!

Yep...I just added laser cut fins as standard equipment to the Cherokee D Parts Pack Package! High quality balsa and precise laser cutting!
Heck, they're better than the original!:D :D

Parts Pack Page

Just added....10/30

LaserCutFinSet1.JPG

Good news!
Is that coming to other Thrustline kits as well?

I don't mind cuttting them out, but I do worry about copying plans at the wrong scale and making them the wrong size.
I have experience there.
The laser-cut fins would be idiot-proofing to eliminate that.

Originally posted by Barry in IN
Good news!
Is that coming to other Thrustline kits as well?

.......SNIP..........

Yes. As time and money permit, any parts pack that "had" pre-cut fins originally, I'm going to try to make them available. The Nike X is the next to get them. As anyone knows the Nike X, there are 12 fins peices so this might be a huge help for anyone who doesn't like all that cutting.

If it doesn't make sense "money wise" for a particular model than the model will come with the correct balsa stock.

Back