Thrustline Aerospace Flux Probe

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMRR

Reaction score
This is the Readers Digest version of the Thrustline Flux Probe review (the full review with pictures will be up on EMRR soon):

The Thrustline Aerospace Flux Probe is a "longneck" straightforward rocket that looks like an arrow. In fact, a 13 year-old that saw me fly it, said exactly that. Probably with some detail work, it would look exactly like an arrow.

What makes the Flux Probe "longneck"? It has a 0.734" diameter and is 34" long, giving it a 46:1 length to diameter ratio.

The instructions have color photos throughout to assist in the assembly of the kit. There is also a fin template and tube marking guide. The rocket is very easy to build and is probably not more than a level 2 kit.

The instructions are very good. I personally don't mind cutting out the fins myself, but would rather have a cardstock template verse a notepaper one. A nice bonus to have both a parachute and a streamer provided. The kit did not include any decals.

Thrustline recommends the B6-6 for the first flight. They list the A8-5, B6-6 and C6-7 as recommended motors with altitudes from 200 to 1000 feet.

Since this is a minimum-diameter rocket, the motors are friction-fit with masking tape. Also, since this is a small minimum-diameter rocket, it packing of the recovery system is difficult.

The first flight was straight as an arrow. A8-5, no way! The 5 is definitely too long of a delay. Perhaps I should have airfoiled my fins.

Also, the motor kicked out at the same time as the nose cone ejected, then this rocket came in for a core-sample. Perhaps this is why it is call a Flux Probe... probes into planets to take core samples for analysis? Perhaps it was because the motor kicked out.

The next three flights did not core-sample, but did kick the motors out.

The rocket is stable and will give you straight flights. I only tested the streamer recovery which is all that I think the rocket needs. I'm concerned that I could keep a motor from kicking out at ejection. I'm not new at this, but I think the minimum diameter combined with the amount of stuff (wadding, Kevlar®, Elastic and Streamer) that has to be stuffed in the top makes a lot of back pressure. I would recommend wrapping tape around the bottom 1/4" of the rocket body to the motor as well as the tape on the motor (friction-fit).

- Nick

Thanks Nick. Of the flights that I have done on mine, only once did a motor kick on me. I will add a note in the instructions about using tape to secure the motor (Like the old EstesDrifter instructions)

JR

Is that how you did it? Used tape to wrap around that last 1/4" and the motor sticking out?

I've just never done that, but the small diameter and the tightness of packing must make it necessary on this rocket.

Nick

Yep. but I do it more out of habit than necessity. I fly an Estes drifter clone alot and that's the way you set-up the motor. Along with a spiral of tape on the motor, tape around the last 1/4" of the motor on the outside.

Back