Thrustcurve Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My desire (frustration is putting it a bit strongly) would be satisfied if one could pick columns to display in search results as part of one's account preferences. I'd often want length, and would virtually never object to having it, so I'd turn it on in preferences and forget it.

I do realize that might not be an easy change. I'm not jumping up and down crying for it. Just thinking out loud.

As a start, I added motor length to the spreadsheet. I'll think about how best to display more columns in the search and guide results.

Last edited:
I'm glad this thread is here, so I don't have to start a new one.

I love Thrustcurve.org. I've found it one of the most useful resources since I got started in this hobby.

I just got a new phone, and am in the process of installing all my favorite apps. Is the Thrustcurve phone app a thing of the past? I can't find it on the Google Play store and the link on the site itself seems to be dead. If so, I guess I can do without it, since the site itself is so useful, but I did like having it to refer to when I was away from home.

Thanks!

I just got a new phone, and am in the process of installing all my favorite apps. Is the Thrustcurve phone app a thing of the past? I can't find it on the Google Play store and the link on the site itself seems to be dead. If so, I guess I can do without it, since the site itself is so useful, but I did like having it to refer to when I was away from home.
Sadly, Google de-supported the version of the framework I was using to support both platforms (but Apple didn't, go figure). I'll get it working again some day, but I haven't been motivated yet.

Note that the new site is responsive, so should work just fine on phones.

Sometime back I recall that John posted a link to a page that had a set of motor files, each with complete data for one manufacturer.

Since then, I've been unable to locate that post, or to find that page on Thrustcurve.org. It's been driving me batty.

Can someone point me to that page again, and/or direct me how to find it on the website?

Sometime back I recall that John posted a link to a page that had a set of motor files, each with complete data for one manufacturer.

Since then, I've been unable to locate that post, or to find that page on Thrustcurve.org. It's been driving me batty.

Can someone point me to that page again, and/or direct me how to find it on the website?
Login, go to "My Stuff", go to "Outbox". You can download either an .eng or .rse file per manufacturer (these files do NOT include out-of-production motors).

Thanks. I'm quite sure that if I lived a thousand years I never would have looked there. :)

You don't need to be logged in to get the motor files - just add this link to your "favorites" and go there anytime: https://www.thrustcurve.org/outbox/

John - this does bring up a good point, though. The motor files being posted on the "Outbox" page seems less than intuitive. Is there utility/possibility that they could just be posted on their own page and a link put in the "Info" or "Tools" menu?

John - this does bring up a good point, though. The motor files being posted on the "Outbox" page seems less than intuitive. Is there utility/possibility that they could just be posted on their own page and a link put in the "Info" or "Tools" menu?
Yeah, I agree that the Outbox is kind of dated at this point. Where would people expect to find them?

Yeah, I agree that the Outbox is kind of dated at this point. Where would people expect to find them?

Seems like a page called "Motor Files" would be the best under the "Info" menu. That would seem a likely place to look if I was searching the site.

The outbox would still have its use. When someone is selecting a few motors to download it would work like the shopping cart on a retail site. I guess that was probably the original idea. Packing the data for all motors in the outbox into a single file at the time of download is still a great improvement; thank you for that one!

The outbox would still have its use. When someone is selecting a few motors to download it would work like the shopping cart on a retail site. I guess that was probably the original idea. Packing the data for all motors in the outbox into a single file at the time of download is still a great improvement; thank you for that one!
Exactly, that was my original idea. However I think it it's easier to just download all motors and use ThrustCurve.org for motor selection. (At least that's what I do.)

OK, the outbox has been left as-is, but in addition there is a link "Mfr. File Sets" under the info menu.

Now I just wish the simulators would download this data automatically to alleviate manual maintenance by users (which seems so archaic to me now).

OK, the outbox has been left as-is, but in addition there is a link "Mfr. File Sets" under the info menu.

Now I just wish the simulators would download this data automatically to alleviate manual maintenance by users (which seems so archaic to me now).

John - Awesome, thanks!

Can't agree more about the auto-update of motor files in the sims. It seems especially egregious in the case of RockSim since we pay for that app. While I am happy with the their recent commitment to upgrading the app, there are some features like having to manually update motor files that just seem nuts in 2021.

Thanks again for your commitment to Thurstcurve and your responsiveness to requests!

Yes indeed. I will double check that this is on the feature request list for OR.
I just posted this to Apogee's contact form:
It would be terrific if RockSim would download and automatically install updated and new motor files from an online source. If Apogee doesn't wish to maintain such a source, the files could be downloaded from ThrustCurve.org (https://www.thrustcurve.org/). Based on recent conversation, it's certain that the site's owner, John Coker, would gladly work with you on implementing the data interface. (ThrustCurve.org already has and maintains .rse files.)

There is already an API, which I added many years ago for this purpose.
I thought I remembered something like that. So "working with them" would mean providing the API description.

So, while I'm here, what's with the CTI 30795O25000-P? ThrustCurve (TC) says it's there, but I can't find evidence of it on CTI's web site. And TC shows it as 132 mm, which is unique. And it's supposed to be single use, and I don't see any single use motors on CTI's site. TC says data came from CAR, so I tried CAR'S web site, but their motor index file link is broken.

Last edited:
I thought I remembered something like that. So "working with them" would mean providing the API description.
I've documented the API here: https://www.thrustcurve.org/info/api.html

Also note that both RockSim and OpenRocket already use the API, they just don't seamlessly download new motors. RockSim has a manual process the user can perform and for OpenRocket they use the API to collect the latest data before each release.

There isn't support for staged rockets in the simulator, but that is a good idea. I don't want to compete with the real flight simulators (RockSim and OpenRocket), but being able to find motors for 2-stage rockets does make sense.

Not sure if others would want it but velocity at staging might be helpful for selecting the booster motor.

Latest posts

Back