Thrustcurve Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody not getting motor options. The rockets are there just no motor selection.
Which page are you looking at?

Note that in the post before yours I mentioned that I'd removed an incomplete form and replaced it with a link to the regular entry point with all the newer features.

Which page are you looking at?

Note that in the post before yours I mentioned that I'd removed an incomplete form and replaced it with a link to the regular entry point with all the newer features.
I click on a rocket in the rocket list. That takes me to possible motors. Where there used to be a submit button is now blank. So I can't see any motors for any rocket. I don't see a link on that page. The paragraph on the possible motors page says there are motors, but no motors appear.

So from the drop down under my stuff I pick my rockets. I get no motors going that way. But the secondary list up the right hand side is working like it has. The motors are there.

So from the drop down under my stuff I pick my rockets. I get no motors going that way. But the secondary list up the right hand side is working like it has. The motors are there.
Can you tell me the exact URL and what browser you are using?

Here's what I see when I am looking at a specific saved rocket. (Note that I've highlighted the new links.)
Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 6.34.15 PM.png

Can you tell me the exact URL and what browser you are using?

Here's what I see when I am looking at a specific saved rocket. (Note that I've highlighted the new links.)
View attachment 454356
I'm using Chrome. Now that you have pointed it out I see it. When I was looking for a link I expected to see it in blue. The URL I have no idea.

I'm using Chrome. Now that you have pointed it out I see it. When I was looking for a link I expected to see it in blue. The URL I have no idea.
Got it; thanks.

With the Bootstrap theme for this site, all links are that dark red.

Just FYI, you can always find out the page you're viewing in the address bar at the top of the browser. This is the called the "URL":
Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 7.47.50 AM.png

thanks was able to get it working - was having some strange dns issues.
Interesting. MongoDB informed me there were changing their root certificates, but that isn't supposed to happen until May.

Hi John,

You are receiving this email because of an upcoming change to Let’s Encrypt, the Certificate Authority (CA) used by MongoDB Atlas to issue TLS certificates for all Atlas clusters. Atlas uses TLS to ensure that all network traffic to and from the cluster is encrypted.

Beginning on May 1, 2021, new TLS certificates created by MongoDB Atlas will have their root CA change from IdenTrust to ISRG in line with Let’s Encrypt’s announcement of this transition. Atlas clusters certificates are rotated every 90 days, so your cluster will move from the IdenTrust to the ISRG CA between May 1, 2021 and August 1, 2021, unless you choose to test your readiness ahead of time. The IdenTrust root CA will stop working with Let's Encrypt certificates on September 29, 2021, so all clusters will be upgraded to the ISRG root by then.

I don't use any special certificates, so I imagine there will be no impact, but who knows. Did you have issues resolving ThrustCurve.org or error pages once you were there?

Interesting. MongoDB informed me there were changing their root certificates, but that isn't supposed to happen until May.

I don't use any special certificates, so I imagine there will be no impact, but who knows. Did you have issues resolving ThrustCurve.org or error pages once you were there?
Hi John, not sure what was the deal. The site wouldn't open on any browser - was getting a DNS_PROBE_SINISHED_NXDOMAIN message. I just changed my network settings to 8.8.8.8 in the DNS field and it did the trick. Works great now. Thanks as always for this excellent resource.

On the "match a rocket" page, include a checkbox for clusters and then an option for number of mmt. Simple clusters, no mix in mmt size or different motors per mmt would be fairly easy.

On the "match a rocket" page, include a checkbox for clusters and then an option for number of mmt. Simple clusters, no mix in mmt size or different motors per mmt would be fairly easy.
When you enter a rocket (My Stuff), you can choose the number of MMTs. This will enable you to find motors for clusters. (As you say, all the same motor.)
I wanted to keep the quick form as simple as possible so it's not daunting to get started, but you're right I could add an MMT count there too.

Some requests:
  1. Sometimes (often?) I neglect to save a rocket, close my tab, and then realize I wasn't finished. Can you auto-save the last entered rocket, and give the option to re-populate when I return to the site?
  2. When setting motor selection criteria, I'd love an option include motors that either match the motor mount size or are one size smaller (or more generally, a minimum size in addition to the match of the motor size). Currently I have to always do two separate searches, unless there's a way to do this that I'm unaware of
  3. The link to "show complete results" is kind of hidden underneath the table of results. I think it should be more prominent. It might even be nice to always show both successful and unsuccessful motors, in two separate tables. The unsuccessful results table could be collapsed by default, so it doesn't clog the page all the time, but it would be at easy access.
  4. Minor stuff:
    1. it would be nice to have a combo-box with a pull-down of common motor mount sizes.
    2. Right now the up/down arrows inside many of the fields increments/decrements by .001, which is kind of nonsensical for many of them.

Some requests:
  1. Sometimes (often?) I neglect to save a rocket, close my tab, and then realize I wasn't finished. Can you auto-save the last entered rocket, and give the option to re-populate when I return to the site?
  2. When setting motor selection criteria, I'd love an option include motors that either match the motor mount size or are one size smaller (or more generally, a minimum size in addition to the match of the motor size). Currently I have to always do two separate searches, unless there's a way to do this that I'm unaware of
  3. The link to "show complete results" is kind of hidden underneath the table of results. I think it should be more prominent. It might even be nice to always show both successful and unsuccessful motors, in two separate tables. The unsuccessful results table could be collapsed by default, so it doesn't clog the page all the time, but it would be at easy access.
  4. Minor stuff:
    1. it would be nice to have a combo-box with a pull-down of common motor mount sizes.
    2. Right now the up/down arrows inside many of the fields increments/decrements by .001, which is kind of nonsensical for many of them.

#2 Define a motor adapter

John - you rock! great add to the spreadsheet.

At the risk of asking for too much, one more add and my workflow in TC would be complete - multiple rail lengths. This is something I always wished I could do in Rocksim as well.

Generally, I find the rails at most launches (out here on the East Coast anyway) are either 6 feet or 8 feet. Rarely, you may see a 10 foot rail and that is usually in the out-cell for Level 3 motors.

So, I have been running the sim twice - once with a 6 foot rail guide and then again with an 8 foot rail guide. Then I cut and paste the 6 foot velocities into the sheet with the 8 foot velocities in a separate column next to the 8 foot velocities. Then, I delete the motors that are slow off the 8 foot guide (you know if it is slow off the longer rail, it won't work on the shorter rail either). Then I use conditional formatting to color code the motors that are slow off the 6 foot rail.

At the field there are almost always more short rails than long ones, so it is good to know which rail length you need at a glance.

If there was a way to run the sim with 2 rail lengths and have the exported sheet note which rails were good, that would cut the above workflow down by about 75%.

For example, here is the spreadsheet I would use at the field for my Widman 4" Darkstar (note, I have not re-created it using the recovery weight column you just added):
Because launch rails can be different lengths, I'm prepared when I go to a launch. I have 1 4' and 1 6' foot 1010 rails that I can add to a club rail if I need a longer rail when I setup the rocket at the pad, so I just run the sim until I get the length I need and note that in my prelaunch checklist.

Because launch rails can be different lengths, I'm prepared when I go to a launch. I have 1 4' and 1 6' foot 1010 rails that I can add to a club rail if I need a longer rail when I setup the rocket at the pad, so I just run the sim until I get the length I need and note that in my prelaunch checklist.
Maybe more useful would be a "min guide length" field in the results? I can't think of a way to have multiple guide lengths without getting awkward. In your case you would always enter the max for the guide length and the results would tell you what the needed guide was.

Note that "guide length" is a bit fuzzy because what it really means is "supported distance". This ends up being the length from the forward button/lug to the tip of the rail/rod.

OK, I changed the MMT diameter to be a combo box in the quick entry and in editing a rocket. Also there are buttons at the top of the summary results to the complete results and spreadsheet. (All links are still at the bottom as well.)

I'd ask for motor length to be added alongside diameter in search results, or as a search parameter. It came up for me yesterday when looking for a 24 mm, single use, F motor to fit in a particular rocket. The rocket is built for the D12, so I want 70 mm long options. (Or longer, if not too much will be hanging out the back.) The same sort of thing could come up not infrequently for me and others.
1622043738687.png

I'd ask for motor length to be added alongside diameter in search results...
I can try adding it; the question just is will the columns be too narrow. Maybe there's a better solution 'cause any piece of motor info could be relevant when searching.

Maybe make it a column in the spreadsheet as a quick solution?

A longer term solution, that seems like it would be more difficult to implement, could be having some kind of setting to allow you to pick and choose which columns show up in the on-screen search. Not sure if that is in the realm of the possible.

Maybe make it a column in the spreadsheet as a quick solution?
Sure, that's easy since the spreadsheets can always be wider.

A longer term solution, that seems like it would be more difficult to implement, could be having some kind of setting to allow you to pick and choose which columns show up in the on-screen search. Not sure if that is in the realm of the possible.
Yeah, but is this really something where you'd always or never wanted to see a particular column? I suspect Joe would have had the same frustration because he's already looking at results and it would be inconvenient to get into preferences, add a column, then re-execute the search or motor guide.

Back