Thrust Curve vs. RockSim

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRiJoe

Reaction score
Okay. I designed a large tube finned rocket in RockSim. I put the values in Thrust Curve and got what it considers appropriate engines. Thrust Curve gives an altitude of 730 ft with a GT-80 and RockSim, using a GT-80 as the motor, gives an altitude of 1800 ft. Any thoughts about what the two approximations have to say?

Okay. I designed a large tube finned rocket in RockSim. I put the values in Thrust Curve and got what it considers appropriate engines. Thrust Curve gives an altitude of 730 ft with a GT-80 and RockSim, using a GT-80 as the motor, gives an altitude of 1800 ft. Any thoughts about what the two approximations have to say?

A tube fin is likely too complicated for Thrustcurve to sim. It is not intended to really replace Rocksim or OR. That said, you say large- please define what you mean.

Many things can cause the difference. You will need to post your RS file, thrust curve used, and TC inputs.

For the G80 in particular, there are 3 motor files in Thrustcurve. Two are similar, one is very different. The Motor Guide will take the average of all three when calculating. Rocksim uses just one.

BTW, ThrustCurve assumes a standard 3 or 4FNC shape. All you get is weight, diameter, length, and Cd. It doesn't accommodate different types of nose cones, transitions, etc. ThrustCurve is a quick and dirty sim; however, I have found it to be pretty accurate for standard-shaped rockets.

Back