Throwback build from memory

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old School Doug

Unwilling participant in the idiocracy.
Reaction score
Back when I first got involved in this hobby (somewhere in the 60's) I remember receiving a booklet of plan ideas from either Estes or maybe Centuri. This booklet was filled with ideas for both traditional and innovative/unusual designs. I recall building a tube fin rocket from plans in that booklet along with a model that had a small whistle incorporated to give it a screaming takeoff. But one of the designs that has always stuck in my mind is one in which side pods were added that contained the recovery devices ( I don't recall if they were streamers or parachutes ). Now that I've returned to the hobby and have both the time and a surplus of spare parts, I think it's time to build this throwback memory just for fun.

The Estes Gemini DC - EST 2136 has side pods w parachutes. Not my favorite rocket tho, and I do not think it's that old! :p

IIRC, the first or second flight, one of the parachutes partially deployed at launch. It was not pretty, and the rocket was (pretty much) retired after that! :)

1594233690438.png

Good luck!

The Estes Gemini DC - EST 2136 has side pods w parachutes. Not my favorite rocket tho, and I do not think it's that old! :p

IIRC, the first or second flight, one of the parachutes partially deployed at launch. It was not pretty, and the rocket was (pretty much) retired after that! :)

View attachment 423786

Good luck!
Thanks for the input. I'm not sure if this was the natural evolution of the plan that I remember, but it certainly is possible that it was a design that lingered in someones desk drawer at Estes till 1997 when it went into production. Gives me food for thought.

There is a plan in this Estes Model Rocket News called the Gamma that is rear ejection.
https://www.oldrocketplans.com/mrn/mrn_v6_n1/MRNV6N1.pdf
Oh Man..... I can't believe there's a copy of this still floating around. The thing I'm thinking of was more like a booklet of plans (maybe) and the specific model had dual side pods with conventional nose cone ejection for the dual parachute recovery. That being said, I recognize many of the illustrations and articles in the attached newsletter and I have a vague recollection of the Gamma, at least by name if not by design. In any case, man does this bring back memories of my 1st venture into the hobby. THANKS !!!

Are you possibly thinking about the Little Beth X-2 which was published as Estes Rocket Plan #57? I always liked that thing but never built one because back in the day I didn't have a launch site that would handle that kind of altitude.

Are you possibly thinking about the Little Beth X-2 which was published as Estes Rocket Plan #57? I always liked that thing but never built one because back in the day I didn't have a launch site that would handle that kind of altitude.
Not exactly. I may even be conflating several designs I saw back then and have cooked up a non-existent plan in my mind. But it does look like an interesting build. I'll keep it in the to be considered file. Thanks !!

Screaming Mimi? It was advertised that it whistled on take off. This was out early 2000s.

est2185_HeaderT.jpg

There was a different rocket that actually was never released officially (though someone here on the forum posted that they had a kit) that had pods that would drop off. The Zenix SSRV. That was in the 1998 Estes Catalog.

estes24-25.JPG

And never mind...I missed that you said the 60s. Oh well, a couple cool rockets anyway.
Not a problem. My recollection of the age was off just a little. I actually found it!!!
From the 1970 Estes Model Rocket Newsletter..........I give you the Black Knight! I have to say my memory was not all that far off. The only thing I didn't get right was rear deploy vs front deploy. And the year. And.........

Attachments

• Black Knight.pdf
    785.4 KB · Views: 44
I believe JimZ has just posted a corrected scan of this pattern. I think the original either didn't include the fin patterns, or had them scaled incorrectly. Just Google JimZ Rocket Plans and check through the MRN and Estes DOM sections.

I believe JimZ has just posted a corrected scan of this pattern. I think the original either didn't include the fin patterns, or had them scaled incorrectly. Just Google JimZ Rocket Plans and check through the MRN and Estes DOM sections.
Thanks for the info. I have to say, I wasn't prepared for the nostalgia rush I experienced while searching the archives for this model. I vividly remember waiting with anticipation for each new newsletter to arrive. Browsing the patterns and absorbing the tech information each contained. This during the time when I was enthralled with each success and failure of the US space program. The thrill of watching with my best friend as Neil Armstrong took his first steps on the moon. Anxiously watching the news coverage for a successful return trip to the blue Earth. Man, did this ever bring back memories!!!

Latest posts

Back