Three scratch builds in one week.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senior Space Cadet

Reaction score
Whew! Feels a lot like work. I'm supposed to be retired.
I wasn't that happy with some of my rockets, last weekend, and there is a club launch coming up this weekend, so I decided to scratch build three rockets.
I ran into a few problems.
I had a boat tail motor mount kit, that I planned on using on one of the rockets, but after putting it together, I found out that the Quest D motors, I planned to use, don't fit. Seem to be a few millimeters too long. I thought about starting over, but decided to just use it and I'll have to use Estes C motors.
I realized I was out of Kevlar shock chord so I put in an order, which should have showed up Thursday, but didn't. Can't install the motors till I have the shock chord.
I was short one nose cone, so I ordered another one, but it won't come till next Monday, so I'm stuck using a substitute. Hopefully it won't mess up the stability too much. I'll try and check that on Open Rocket.
Otherwise, I was pretty happy with the builds till I started making epoxy fillets. The straight epoxy is too thin. I just runs all over. I'm fixing things as best I can in the short time frame. When I was building my boat I thickened the epoxy with chopped glass and put it in a pastry bag, but that isn't practical with the small fillets on these rockets. I need to figure out a solution for next time.
I'm starting to paint the rockets. They won't be perfect, but as long as they fly straight, I'll be happy.
Next week I'm going to start work on an alternative to the unsatisfactory boat tail engine mount. Should be good.

Since you've provide no pictures it's hard to comment, but just in general:
1) Questjets should fit wherever Estes motors fit. Not sure what happened there.
2) What size rockets are these and why are you doing epoxy fillets? Wood glue fillets are fine for small wood/paper rockets.

Since you've provide no pictures it's hard to comment, but just in general:
1) Questjets should fit wherever Estes motors fit. Not sure what happened there.
2) What size rockets are these and why are you doing epoxy fillets? Wood glue fillets are fine for small wood/paper rockets.
Now you tell me! I only used wood glue on my first builds, but I didn't want to give anyone an excuse to say my rockets weren't safe to launch.
Now I know.
Yeah, I'm not sure what the problem with the Quest motor is. The motor mount kit uses engine hooks, which I seldom use. The Quest motor refuses to go in far enough for the hook to go over the end. Fits fine in my rockets with screw on engine retainers. An Estes motor slides right in.

Did you try rotating the Questjet? The larger Aerotech motors have notches in specific positions around the perimeter for motor hooks. Can't remember if the Questjets do but if so that could explain the problem. Also, just try holding up one of your Questjets next to the Estes motor and compare size. They should be the same (minus the nozzle on the Qjet).

Looks like the Postal Service misplace my shipment from Apogee. The result is I'm only going to be able to launch one of the three rockets I built this weekend.
It's fairly large and it's the one the Quest motor won't go into, so I'm stuck with Estes C motors.
The first rocket I built flies straight as an arrow, if not terribly high. There were more Quest motors on the late shipment too, but I have do two that I can put in this rocket. We'll see how it does with a D motor.
I still have the BT-80 rocket to launch, and now I have a suitable launch rod.
The 29mm rocket that uses 24mm motors flew great. I'll take that along too.

Did you try rotating the Questjet? The larger Aerotech motors have notches in specific positions around the perimeter for motor hooks. Can't remember if the Questjets do but if so that could explain the problem. Also, just try holding up one of your Questjets next to the Estes motor and compare size. They should be the same (minus the nozzle on the Qjet).
Yeah, I turned it around. No notches, but the end is hexagonal or something. Maybe I just need a bigger hammer.

Please invest in a means to upload digital photo's. I know there's a bunch of folks here that would like to see your creations.

Did you know even a flip phone has the capability to take photo's?

Back