Three positive vendor experiences in a week

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr G

Reaction score
It all started with the 2013 Wildman Black Saturday sale...

I ordered late and in a hurry - but my order was properly accepted and I was notified electronically that it was in the system. Tim did a great job informing all of issues with the massive supply chain process that resulted in some orders (mine included) being delayed past the holidays.

After the sale deadline had passed, I suffered a case of buyers remorse for not having ordered a bunch of high power reloads at such a great discount. So I emailed Dave at Red Arrow Hobbies and asked if he would match pricing as it said on his website. After a few days, he reponded that he would. It took a while to work out the details and get the order placed for which he apologied for some delays - but he always got back within a few days.

Two weeks ago, I emailed Wildman asking if I could add a LOC Big Nuke to my pending order and save on shipping. The prompt reply from Jackie, including a Wildman Club price quote, was that they were just placing a LOC order that day and could include that for me.

When I got home to Kansas City this past weekend a very well packed "box of boom" from Red Arrow was waiting for me.

I missed the TCC launch last weekend and the one day sale Whats Up Hobbies was holding for those on site. I emailed Jack and said I was out of town but would be back in the Bay Area (where I have taken a new job) on the Monday after and, if he was willing, I could come up to his place and pick up whatever I could get my hands on. He immediately emailed back and asked for my "wish list." So Monday he takes me to his still unpacked trailer/store, opens the ramp door and for the next few hours lets me pick and choose what I wanted, shared stories and information, and even took me to his house and gave me a personal tour of his incredible really-high power projects!

Last night I called home to hear that a really big box showed up from Wildman. I confirmed with Jackie that it was my Black Saturday order (less reloads being shipped USPS to save hazmat charges) including the Big Nuke I had just ordered. My credit card had been charged the originally quoted price for the Big Nuke even though LOC had recently increased kit prices - which could have been passed on to me.

So, in the span of a week, three positive experiences with three vendors came to fruition resulting in a stockpile of products, wonderful value, new-found knowledge and a sense of satisfaction. Having been in the retail and mail order business for another aviation related niche hobby, I have great respect for those who risk much and often see little financial gain from providing full time service to a small community of enthusiasts. The personal touch of small business people can enable opportunities like I had with all three of these vendors. That would not likely have happened with larger corporate operations. Sometimes the small things really do matter and I have to thank those who worked with me for their personal service. It is part of what makes this hobby so enjoyable.

Back