Three Oaks Team 1 November Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAllen

Reaction score
From team1.org:

Michigan Team-1 members:

Late last week, as per the pre-launch checklist, Prefect Ken Zeuner contacted Farmer Chesnut in Three Oaks to discuss the status of harvesting the crops and the condition of the fields. The outlook is not good. Although August was one of the driest months on record, since then there has been significant precipitation. The ground is wet, and the crops themselves are wet and must be dried during the harvest process. The drying process is the rate-limiting step, because the crops can be removed from the fields faster than they can be dried. Farmer Chesnut advises that the harvest is running at least two weeks later than normal.

In his discussion, Ken emphasized to Farmer Chesnut that the harvesting of his crops must be the number one priority. In our dealings with any landowners, we must be respectful of their needs, especially in a case like this in which the landowner’s livelihood is involved.

The short story is that our 2008 Fall Three Oaks launch event may be postponed or cancelled. Notice that I used the word may. Ken will re-contact Farmer Chesnut today for an update, and we will make a go/no-go decision shortly. Don’t abandon all hope yet, but be aware of the possibility of a postponement or cancellation. Stay tuned to your email Inbox for advisory emails like this one, as well as the Team-1 web site

Bob

I know some of you TRF'ers attend this one so I thought you'd like to know.

-DAllen

thanks for the heads up on the team1 launch I was planning on going on the Nov 8&9th. I hope they can get another date for the launch.

All is not lost though. I looked at the forecast for the next week and it looks like there is going to be lots of sun and wind but I am not holding my breath for the 8th and 9th.

-DAllen

I wont be holding my breth eather I am leaving in the morning for MWP. You should come Dallen

I wont be holding my breth eather I am leaving in the morning for MWP. You should come Dallen

I would love to but I have expended a lot of rocket good will with the spouse so I could go to LDRS this year. :pirate:

-DAllen

I would love to but I have expended a lot of rocket good will with the spouse so I could go to LDRS this year. :pirate:

-DAllen

Well, since you can't make it, I'll launch a few for you as well. You going to make it to LDRS in 09?

Well, since you can't make it, I'll launch a few for you as well. You going to make it to LDRS in 09?

Nope. The wifey wants to go to Di$ney this $pring. That's okay because I'll be going to NSL instead. NSL won't be near as big or stuff flying as high as LDRS but my folks live about 90 miles from the field so the lodging will be cheap.

Welp...All is not lost! The 3-Oaks Team-1 launch is postponed only one week! W00T!!!11!!! 11/15 and 11/16. No word yet on whether or not they will still do a TRA reseach launch on Friday.

-DAllen

From team1.org:

Michigan Team-1 members:

Prefect Ken Zeuner has asked me to broadcast an email concerning flyer safety at the 2008 Fall Three Oaks launch event. This launch is postponed to November 14th, 15th, and 16th, so it coincides with the opening of firearm deer hunting season. There will likely be deer hunters near the launch area. It would be a very good idea to wear brightly colored clothing (hunter orange, or lime-yellow) at the launch, particularly if you intend to go afield to recover a rocket. A limited number of orange safety vests that were previously worn by Orange Vest Helpers in the days of yore will be available (please return them when done). If you have hunter orange clothing of your own, please bring that and wear it.

We strongly recommend that you do not wear clothing with a brown/white color pattern that suggests 4-legged edible mammal.

Bob

Robert W. Schultz
Secretary/Treasurer
Tripoli Prefecture 9
Michigan Team-1
[email protected]
www.team1.org

I know there are a few folks that come from outside of Michigan to this launch and may not be familiar with the start of firearm season. Take this very seriously especially if in the off chance the rocket goes in or near the woods. There are A LOT of hunters in Michigan.

Also, deer will be moving like crazy so driving could be an interesting adventure on some MI roads that weekend. Don't swerve for deer, just slam on your brakes.

-DAllen

You know you cant look at the weater forcast in MI :rotflol: It will change a couple times by the weekend

Well, unfortunately things have not improved weather-wise and word is that it is iffy we'll even have a launch this weekend at all. As soon as I know something a little more definite I will post details here. My understanding is that a decision will be made tomorrow at 9am.

-DAllen

The weather looks ok for Sunday. I am planing on going Sunday I will check back before leaving hate to make the drive and be the only one there.

I didn't go, but have heard that they setup a few low power and a mid power pad, but only launched a few rockets. It just wasn't pretty out there. I'm heading out in the morning and hopefully the winds will be calm and ceiling high!

Back