Three more scratch clones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore Check

Reaction score
My wife's been stingy with the camera lately, but I finally pilfered it to get a shot of my latest 3 scratch clones.

TangoPapa made all the decals, the rest of the parts either came out of my parts box or from BalsaMachining.

From left-to-right:

1x Goblin (to replace my previously damaged one)
Defender (to replace the one that CATO'd when I was a kid)
Citation Patriot (those decals were a pain in the butt!)

All three of these are D engine (24 mm) powered, which is accurate for the Goblin and Defender but an "overbuild" on the Patriot. I wasn't sure about that change at first, but after standing the Citation Patriot next to my Der Red Max and seeing how much bigger it is/seems, I'm glad I did.

Nice clone job!! Ireally like the Defender and have cloned one myself. The design is basic, yet striking, and patriotic without just being R/W/B. If you do not have room to launch it on a D, then it flies very well on a C11.

The Citation Patriot is one of my all time favorites. Ihave a clone and a mid 1970's one I bought all built up on EBAY. What were your Mods? THis does look like a good candidate for D motors...

I simply replaced the 8" or so length (can't remember, but I used the same length as in the plans) of bt20 for the motor mount/stuffer tube with bt50. This of course changed the centering rings to accomodate the bt50 (which I had a available) and the thrust ring to fit the bt50 (which I also had available). The engine hook stayed the same, as I built it for D engines and not E's. It is otherwise per the plans. I put it together on RSim and it should get around 850' on a D12-5 if I remember correctly.

The decals were the biggest booger on the Patriot. You know the stars and stripes crest emblem on each side of the rocket with four vertical red stripes per emblem? Well, TangoPapa arranged the red bars randomly on the sheet (relatively speaking) so that all 8 vertical red stripes had to applied individually. Similarly, the 2 stripes on either side of the two fins (one red and one blue with stars per fin) were similarly arranged on the sheet so that all 8 of those stripes had to be applied individually. And the gold eagle wrap at the top gave me some application problems too...... I think it turned out ok, though. :cool:

Great job.!!......The patriot is looks sharp!
or as my youngster would say.....sick!

Excellent job, man! Three beautiful rockets. Really nice.

Stephen

It's threads like this that make me wonder why I ever subscribe to a rocketry magazines. What great looking rockets!! Seeing pictures like those...hwck...it's like Christmas every day!
list.gif

John, John, John...

You subscribe to Sporty Rocketry so you can see pictures of me , Carl and Jim...and most of Randy!:D

So you can tell your wife..."see, honey, I know these guys!"

Fore Check, Fantastic models!

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
John, John, John...

You subscribe to Sporty Rocketry so you can see pictures of me , Carl and Jim...and most of Randy!:D

So you can tell your wife..."see, honey, I know these guys!"

Fore Check, Fantastic models!

sandman

Funny you mention that SANDMAN! At Thanksgiving when I was showing off your nose cone and everyone asked who made it, that's exactly what I did...
..."See guys, this is Sandman....errr...Gordon...!" They wanted to know where you go the cool T-shirt! JZ I bet.
LOLOLOL!

Back