3D Printing Threaded Inserts for 3D Prints - Cheap VS Expensive

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great information - his experience mirrors mine in that the inserts without a taper on the end are a pain to use since they tend to get clogged with plastic as you are setting them. Thanks for sharing this video!

Great video. I highly recommend the more expensive versions. I use the 18 cent ones.

My experience with any of 'em has been hit or miss. If the hole's not sized correctly or they go in a bit crooked/get a glob of plastic in the threads they will fail immediately .. I avoid 'em if possible. If you can print a consistent 2.5mm hole, a 3mm screw will self thread and be re-useable. Otherwise a tap is your friend.

Youtubers are there for one reason. To sell you stuff you "think" you need...

Feel free to post successes..

Happy to. I have placed 200-300 of the "cheap" inserts in various projects. While there is a definite learning curve to using them, once I got the hang of it my success rate got to 90% or so - I would occasionally screw up, but they mostly worked. The definite downside was the clogged threads, but that can be mitigated somewhat by proper sizing the holes in which the inserts are set.

Here is some lighting that I made for the local high school band - all held together with inserts.

20190826_202321.jpg

The ultimate product looked like this ;-)

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3dc4.jpg

I must have missed the part where he tried to sell me something. Looked like a straightforward testing of some inserts - with actual data rather than simple opinions. Found it really refreshing to see actual measurements involved in making the final assessments of the various options.

I use them when its very important the screw hold. Plastic threads are ok for light duty but its impossible to strain a metal screw like its intended to hold without stripping plastic threads. Here is a pic of one side of my electronics sled for a high performance balls rockets. I use 4 inserts to mount the altimeter and those 2 larger ones to the side are battery power take-offs.

IMG_20191213_145759993.jpg

Have you watched the referenced video, or others by the same author? They are informative, have quantitative testing, and are based on real-world examples. For example, his strength of infill video:

was incredibly useful in helping me choose the best infill for a variety of rocketry parts. Nothing for sale there, just well categorized, quantitative information based on settings all of us would like to understand better. Using such a broad brush to paint all 'youtubers' as shills does many of them a disservice. And to imply threaded inserts aren't needed implies a misunderstanding of how many 3D printed parts are used.

Tony

Have you watched the referenced video, or others by the same author? They are informative, have quantitative testing, and are based on real-world examples. For example, his strength of infill video:

was incredibly useful in helping me choose the best infill for a variety of rocketry parts. Nothing for sale there, just well categorized, quantitative information based on settings all of us would like to understand better. Using such a broad brush to paint all 'youtubers' as shills does many of them a disservice. And to imply threaded inserts aren't needed implies a misunderstanding of how many 3D printed parts are used.

Tony

Tony: I've gone further by personally testing them.

I'll show you personal results. It would be kind if you would offer same?

Happy to. I have placed 200-300 of the "cheap" inserts in various projects. While there is a definite learning curve to using them, once I got the hang of it my success rate got to 90% or so - I would occasionally screw up, but they mostly worked. The definite downside was the clogged threads, but that can be mitigated somewhat by proper sizing the holes in which the inserts are set.

Here is some lighting that I made for the local high school band - all held together with inserts. OK: Can we please make this clear here and now? Lighting and structure are not the same? If i'm wrong, I will accept it..

View attachment 400698

View attachment 400700

I must have missed the part where he tried to sell me something. Looked like a straightforward testing of some inserts - with actual data rather than simple opinions. Found it really refreshing to see actual measurements involved in making the final assessments of the various options.

Here is some lighting that I made for the local high school band - all held together with inserts.

View attachment 400698

View attachment 400700

That's why God invented nuts..

Excellent video (just watched the first one so far). Inserting those things into the plastic with a soldering iron looks incredibly... satisfying.

Yup, melt right in. Done it dozens of times. Before I wized up..

If it's truly something you're going to take apart more than ,say, 6 or so times (or need conductivity) you are wasting time and money..

Other than that, ENJOY!

Last edited by a moderator:

Here is some lighting that I made for the local high school band - all held together with inserts. Do they need to be dis and assembled regularly? If not, it's an absolute waste;) of time and money. Although it is somewhat fun to melt 'em in so easily

View attachment 400698

View attachment 400700

I'd say on a good day, approximately .00001% of Youtube videos are not there for non-profit. One way or another, they ARE selling "something"..

Tony

Was not my intent to "paint" all of 'em. I really do like that gut btw. Just get angered when I see people getting suckered into unnecessary crap. Apologies to all..

Back