Quantcast

Threaded Charge Wells - for use with water bottle caps

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Landru

Additive Aerospace
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Coming Soon: Aluminum ejection charge wells with threaded ends for water bottle caps.

1.000" Diameter without the cap.

What gram sizes would you like to see? The one pictured is about 3g.

PXL_20210121_034830016.jpg

Bowman

Reaction score
Oh nice. Its always reassuring when two people reach the same solution.
I applaud re-use of what is otherwise consider trash but I cringe at the thought of littering the area (any area) with non-degradable litter.

Building on the original good idea; Why not score the flat surface of the cap so that it functions like a burst diaphragm? That would serve the purpose of retaining the charge while allowing the gas pressure to do its job and hopefully retain the HDPE cap for proper disposal.
I envision a "X" cut through the flat plastic top or most of the way, just enough to weaken it.
You could even market a stamp or die to be used with a hammer to do the cutting. Using a razor knife seems like a recipe for nasty cuts. Safety first :).

When it discharged the cap would likely remain screwed on and intact but the top would have three or four flaps from gas escaping.

Just an idea.

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
Hmm, does anybody know if toothpaste caps are reasonably interchangeable?

Would be fairly straightforward to drill through the lid and seal in a kevlar tie thread to make sure I'm not littering.

kalsow

Reaction score
Random thought... Drill a hole in the cap and cover it from the inside with electrical tape. The tape should burst before the cap pops off the threads.

Buckeye

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Coming Soon: Aluminum ejection charge wells with threaded ends for water bottle caps.

1.000" Diameter without the cap.

What gram sizes would you like to see? The one pictured is about 3g.

View attachment 447263
What form does the cap take when the deployment charge goes off? Does the whole thing blow off? Does the flat portion shear off? Does the entire cap fragment into a hundred bits of plastic shrapnel?

Landru

Additive Aerospace
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
The caps I have tested are mostly in one piece, with a tear around the hole for the igniter.

Figuring out a kevlar harness would be nice, or possibly scoring them may work.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
That is a nice design. You could probably print TPU caps that could kinder on cardboard tubing.

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Building on the original good idea; Why not score the flat surface of the cap so that it functions like a burst diaphragm? That would serve the purpose of retaining the charge while allowing the gas pressure to do its job and hopefully retain the HDPE cap for proper disposal.
I envision a "X" cut through the flat plastic top or most of the way, just enough to weaken it.
Great minds think alike, or fools seldom differ? Scoring the caps with an X is exactly what I do, using a Dremel.

Landru

Additive Aerospace
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I am going to try and cut an X for the e-match instead of drilling a hole. I think it will act as a stress concentrator to allow the cap to pouch instead of pop.

I *could* make aluminum caps with a cut out to use a cardboard burst diaphragm which would be biodegradable, though it would double the cost of the caps...

Latest posts